Fury 14.1 Tournament Phase Updates

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John schmidt currently up on Dave Daya 64-6 right now in first round action.

Not sure of the ralph eckert bobby chamberlain match but will get updates as i can.

Charlie williams and mike davis play in the next flight as do Mika and Danny Barouty.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok guys john schmidt won with a score of 100- 5, and Bobby Chamberlain resigned at 97-15 and gave ralph the match up with an open table.

Charlie Williams and Mike Davis are currently playing.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
ok guys john schmidt won with a score of 100- 5, and Bobby Chamberlain resigned at 97-15 and gave ralph the match up with an open table.

Charlie Williams and Mike Davis are currently playing.

Looks like Shane and Miller got knocked off the lists by Mika and Davis.

What were their numbers?

Did the number one player, Schmidt play the number two player Daya in the first round?

So who will John match up against? Ralph or someone from one of the other matches?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like this was the second 14.1 challenge in a row (DCC and SBE) where the final match was not played because of time problems and conflicts.

That's a shame. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope one can be found for the future.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like this was the second 14.1 challenge in a row (DCC and SBE) where the final match was not played because of time problems and conflicts.

That's a shame. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope one can be found for the future.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Despite all of the hard work by the 14.1 Challenge organizers, this event just isn't getting the respect it deserves.

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two years in a row where after all the hard work put in by everyone there is a very long wait and this time no final match.

In my opinion this has to be run like the 14.1 challenge at the BCA Nationals in Vegas.

Qualifying has set times and ends at an exact time, so the person on the bubble in the 8th spot knows at lets say 10pm if he is in the playoffs the next day, as do all the other players.

The playoffs should be at 11am 2pm and 5pm or something like that.
And just forget the streaming, it is more important to finish the tournament and with set times for everyone including the spectators.

Just my opinion.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me stick my nose in where it probably doesn't belong.

How about making a rule that, if the players don't play in the finals, and I mean both players, neither one gets paid and the money goes into the pot for the next year.

I'm not sure if this will work but, if there is one way to inspire players, it is with money.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fury 14.1 at SBE

Thank you for the compliment.
It is tricky to make all the parts fit since there are so many events happening at about the same time.

We had a great final 8 last year with Mika running 100 about every match -and eventually winning.

Charles and Steve (and others) worked theri butts off promoting and running this event. There needs to be some controls put int place that allows the finals to play out.

I was there and appreciate what they do.
Here is the link to our results: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=231507&page=4 POST #60

Mark Griffin

Two years in a row where after all the hard work put in by everyone there is a very long wait and this time no final match.

In my opinion this has to be run like the 14.1 challenge at the BCA Nationals in Vegas.

Qualifying has set times and ends at an exact time, so the person on the bubble in the 8th spot knows at lets say 10pm if he is in the playoffs the next day, as do all the other players.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

The playoffs should be at 11am 2pm and 5pm or something like that.
And just forget the streaming, it is more important to finish the tournament and with set times for everyone including the spectators.

Just my opinion.

I think it's very important the final be streamed, not only for the exposure but also to help with the AZB donations that are needed to fund this event.

But any 14.1 event held in conjunction with other events, needs to at least have the status of the other sub-events being held during the competition and not be just some unofficial side show. There was no mention of the 14.1 challenge as one of the events on the SBE website, nor mention of it in the stated schedule. Time should be allotted for a dedicated schedule and a commitment to streaming the final (from everyone concerned, including the players). Apparently Mika had a conflict with another event he was playing in and CW went to go watch Borana and Shanelle play instead (yeah, I know it was a Dragon promotion, but really...)

Spade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Mika Immonen for his great play and Charlie Williams for another big 14.1 win. Thanks to Charles Eames for putting it on for all the fans

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Mika Immonen for his great play and Charlie Williams for another big 14.1 win. Thanks to Charles Eames for putting it on for all the fans

There should be no congrats to either of these players. They showed a tremendous amount of disrespect to the fans and sponsors by deciding chop up the money and NOT play a finals. You can be assured that Charlie Williams would not allow two players in the finals of HIS event to simply decide to split the money and not play.

A lot of fans, quite a few sponsors, and Charles Eames, Steve Kurtz, and their crew invested a lot of time, energy, and money to provide an opportunity for the pros to make some extra cash and amateurs to have some fun and earn some money, all while raising awareness of a lost discipline of pocket billiards. When something like this happens, it makes everyone who contributed question whether or not it was worth it. It's a complete slap in the face of those who put their time and money into the event, only to be robbed of a show of straight pool championship play. The conduct of Mika and Charlie was very unsportsmanlike as it pertains to this event.

It gives a very poor impression of the event and in all likelihood, will limit the sponsorship of future events. Maybe the two finalists should have thought of this before deciding to bail on playing the finals. And yes, both players should have been told outright that if they did not play, then they forfeit and the finals would be played by another who lost to the forfeited player.

Maybe next year it will be different...if there even IS a next year for this event after this years finals debacle.

Sincerely,

Matt Carter
representative of Fury cues, title sponsor of the Fury 14.1 Challenge

Last edited:

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There should be no congrats to either of these players. They showed a tremendous amount of disrespect to the fans and sponsors by deciding chop up the money and NOT play a finals. You can be assured that Charlie Williams would not allow two players in the finals of HIS event to simply decide to split the money and not play.

A lot of fans, quite a few sponsors, and Charles Eames, Steve Kurtz, and their crew invested a lot of time, energy, and money to provide an opportunity for the pros to make some extra cash and amateurs to have some fun and earn some money, all while raising awareness of a lost discipline of pocket billiards. When something like this happens, it makes everyone who contributed question whether or not it was worth it. It's a complete slap in the face of those who put their time and money into the event, only to be robbed of a show of straight pool championship play. The conduct of Mika and Charlie was very unsportsmanlike as it pertains to this event.

It gives a very poor impression of the event and in all likelihood, will limit the sponsorship of future events. Maybe the two finalists should have thought of this before deciding to bail on playing the finals. And yes, both players should have been told outright that if they did not play, then they forfeit and the finals would be played by another who lost to the forfeited player.

Maybe next year it will be different...if there even IS a next year for this event after this years finals debacle.

Sincerely,

Matt Carter

Related story . . .
I ran my first (handicapped) straight pool tournament for my fellow league players at the end of 2010 and did it again at the end of last year. I put a lot of time into designing a series of spreadsheets that would calculate the standings, win %, BPI, something I called "handicapped high run" and other statistics for round robin and bracket formats.

The 2010 tournament had 16 players that played a round robin format with four flights of four followed by an 8-man single elimination bracket. Everyone enjoyed it and also appreciated all the statistics. Although the finals match wasn't extremely competitive, I did video tape for my own interest. It was a lot of work, but the tournament was a success and it was very rewarding.

The 2011 tournament only had 12 players and therefore had three flights of four for the round robin and then a 4-man single elimination bracket. As the two semifinals matches were about to finish, I got my video camera mounted and secured to get ready for the finals and the top finishers said that they were tired and didn't want to play the finals and would just split the money. My mouth dropped in disappointment. Both are strong amateurs and I knew it would have been a great match. But since I never announced that the finals must be played, I just let them split. I still would consider the event a success, but I will definitely make it mandatory to play the finals match next time.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

Sincerely,

Matt Carter

And we are supposed to care about the ABP when two of its members (one of whom is on the Board of Directors) do this to the sponsors (including the title sponsor), volunteers, and fans who supported the event? Not to mention that CW is the promoter of his self-proclaimed "World 14.1 Tournament".

I for one, wish to thank-you for your support of the event. I'm very saddened that this happened.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And we are supposed to care about the ABP when two of its members (one of whom is on the Board of Directors) do this to the sponsors (including the title sponsor), volunteers, and fans who supported the event? Not to mention that CW is the promoter of his self-proclaimed "World 14.1 Tournament".

I for one, wish to thank-you for your support of the event. I'm very saddened that this happened.

Very well said.

Disregard for what the fans want has been one of the only true constants when it comes to the ABP. People paid admission to get into the SuperBilliardsExpo and two players felt no obligation to the attendees who would have enjoyed watching the final. These two players also showed insufficient respect to Allen Hopkins, who tried to be very supportive of the ABP. I hope I live to see the day when pros feel a sense of responsibility to those who pay to watch them compete.

As for the challenge, I'd change the format to have only two people advance to the single elimination and if the final is not played, the first and second prizes should be withheld and put toward the funding of the subsequent 14.1 challenge.

I guess I should thank Shane Van Boening and Stevie Moore for not chopping in the final of the main event. At least they seem to understand that they are they are there to entertain people who've paid money for the privilege of watching the very best.

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member

Sincerely,

Matt Carter

The fact that this happened is very sad.

Thank you for sponsoring the event this year.

Ray Robles

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Sincerely,

Matt Carter

110% spot on!

Absolutely disgraceful, this chop/split crap.

And one of them promotes the "world championship" of 14.1, fer crying out loud..... not to mention his seeming control of ABP-related issues.

Again, very distasteful. Unless or until someone, a very strong-willed someone, takes control of the pool scene here in the US, anything resembling "professional" pool on this continent is doomed.

Add my thanks to Fury for their participation and sponsorship.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
110% spot on!

Absolutely disgraceful, this chop/split crap.

Unless or until someone, a very strong-willed someone, takes control of the pool scene here in the US, anything resembling "professional" pool on this continent is doomed.
It's truly amazing to watch the players bite the hands that feed them.

I also made a modest donation to help support this event and to see if it was worthwhile supporting in the future. If this chop/split crap is the best that they can do, then I will no longer support this event.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sincerely,

Matt Carter

Matt, all I can say to you, Fury Cues and everyone else who supported this event is that it was a great event. Please don't punish the event for the actions of two players who didn't give this event, and those behind it, the proper respect.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Matt, all I can say to you, Fury Cues and everyone else who supported this event is that it was a great event. Please don't punish the event for the actions of two players who didn't give this event, and those behind it, the proper respect.

Amazing. They shouldn't have played if they weren't going to play out the finals. It was going to be streamed and that's part of why the sponsors signed on.

And WHY was the SILLY SILLY SILLY stupid battle of the C players with tits scheduled on the last day of the SBE?????? Why would you do ANYTHING to take people AWAY from the SBE venue while it's going on??

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing. They shouldn't have played if they weren't going to play out the finals. It was going to be streamed and that's part of why the sponsors signed on.

And WHY was the SILLY SILLY SILLY stupid battle of the C players with tits scheduled on the last day of the SBE?????? Why would you do ANYTHING to take people AWAY from the SBE venue while it's going on??

I was surprised that "match" was scheduled for the last day as well. I was a contributor to this event and fairly confident I can find better use for my $200 next year if they continue to chop pots.