Future of American Pro Pool: Young Guns

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was perusing through some old pool periodicals about the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. Back in the '80s, there was only a 64-player field. There were not very many, if at all, players from overseas. It was kind of an All-American kind of U.S. Open at that time.

On another thread, I read where Brandon Shuff is not going to the upcoming action-packed Mobile tournament at Ricky Byrd's place. Rather, he's traveling to the Seminole event at Snooker's in Rhode Island, which is a pro-rated tournament. :cool:

I remember when a young Danny Basavich left his action ways behind him and started traveling the pro tournament trail. In fact, 2004 was a good year for Danny, as he won several major titles. Danny was dealt a bum hand with broken promises of movie deals and sponsorship, and then it's as if he took a hiatus from pool.

I think I read somewhere that the next time pocket billiards will be considered to be admitted into the Olympics will be in 2020 or 2022. Ethiopians dominate the running. Who will dominate the pocket billiards if pool is admitted into the Olympic Games? I'm sure most will say the Filipinos or Chinese.

It seems that there are some very talented young players like Chris Bartram, as one example, that aren't following the professional pool trail with regularity. Chris is certainly capable of winning anything he puts his mind to, but I have read where he's stated what we all know: expenses outweigh the pool payouts over the long haul. :frown:

With the recent BCA interest in helping pro pool in the States by working with the ABP and Barry Behrman to help the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship thrive, it would be gratifying to see them take the next step, and that is to help American young guns thrive. :p

I donated 50 bucks the other day to the Billiards Education Fund (BEF). Interestingly, Charlie Williams and Max Eberle both competed in BEF events when they were young'ns, and look at them now. It is one way to develop championship qualities in our youth. Go to the BEF website and at least check it out. There is a donate button on there. It is one way we can all help: BEF.

There is some talent here in the States. Of American young guns under the age of 30 who now do follow the pro tournament trail, there is Oscar Dominguez, Shane Van Boening, Brandon Shuff, and Mike Dechaine. Landon Shuffett is a rising star, too. Am I missing anybody?

ETA: Updated List of American Young Guns (under 30 years of age):

Oscar Dominguez
Shane Van Boening
Brandon Shuff
Mike Dechaine
Landon Shuffett
Shaun Wilkie
Matt Krah
Deo Alpajora
Jason Klatt
Jesse Engel
Hunter Lombardo
Tommy Tokoph
Mitch Ellerman
Chip Compton
Joey Barnes
Chris Byrne
Justin Bergman
Eric Moore
Chris Futrell

Last edited:

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jen, you have to include Shaun Wilkie and Matt Krah in your list of young guns on the tournament trail.

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was perusing through some old pool periodicals about the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. Back in the '80s, there was only a 64-player field. There were not very many, if at all, players from overseas. It was kind of an All-American kind of U.S. Open at that time.

On another thread, I read where Brandon Shuff is not going to the upcoming action-packed Mobile tournament at Ricky Byrd's place. Rather, he's traveling to the Seminole event at Snooker's in Rhode Island, which is a pro-rated tournament. :cool:

I remember when a young Danny Basavich left his action ways behind him and started traveling the pro tournament trail. In fact, 2004 was a good year for Danny, as he won several major titles. Danny was dealt a bum hand with broken promises of movie deals and sponsorship, and then it's as if he took a hiatus from pool.

I think I read somewhere that the next time pocket billiards will be considered to be admitted into the Olympics will be in 2020 or 2022. Ethiopians dominate the running. Who will dominate the pocket billiards if pool is admitted into the Olympic Games? I'm sure most will say the Filipinos or Chinese.

It seems that there are some very talented young players like Chris Bartram, as one example, that aren't following the professional pool trail with regularity. Chris is certainly capable of winning anything he puts his mind to, but I have read where he's stated what we all know: expenses outweigh the pool payouts over the long haul. :frown:

With the recent BCA interest in helping pro pool in the States by working with the ABP and Barry Behrman to help the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship thrive, it would be gratifying to see them take the next step, and that is to help American young guns thrive. :p

I donated 50 bucks the other day to the Billiards Education Fund (BEF). Interestingly, Charlie Williams and Max Eberle both competed in BEF events when they were young'ns, and look at them now. It is one way to develop championship qualities in our youth. Go to the BEF website and at least check it out. There is a donate button on there. It is one way we can all help: BEF.

There is some talent here in the States. Of American young guns under the age of 30 who now do follow the pro tournament trail, there is Oscar Dominguez, Shane Van Boening, Brandon Shuff, and Mike Dechaine. Landon Shuffett is a rising star, too. Am I missing anybody?

To me, its almost like the US isn't even on the map anymore. To illustrate, there was a tournament in Thailand a while back, Thailand is not a pool country by any means. The talent this kinda small tournament drew outclassed the entire US pool scene without even breaking a sweat. Did anybody in the US even ever hear about (I have no idea)??
http://www.pattaya9ball.com/pattaya9ball/

I don't know, I hate to be too negative, but i do feel like I'm a realist and not a pessimist. I don't even think the ABP boycott has any leverage because they don't have the talent there. If you got a pool organization with the top 20 Asian, European, and American players, then you could talk boycott. Anyway, that's just what I think the sad truth is. We don't reward good pool in the US, and we are seeing the results.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jen, you have to include Shaun Wilkie and Matt Krah in your list of young guns on the tournament trail.

Heck, yeah. Right in my home court, too. I haven't been out much, until recently. I'll be making the rounds and hope to see a few more shining stars.

Of course, Shaun Wilkie and Matt Krah belong on that list! Thanks for the reply. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, its almost like the US isn't even on the map anymore. To illustrate, there was a tournament in Thailand a while back, Thailand is not a pool country by any means. The talent this kinda small tournament drew outclassed the entire US pool scene without even breaking a sweat. Did anybody in the US even ever hear about (I have no idea)??
http://www.pattaya9ball.com/pattaya9ball/

I don't know, I hate to be too negative, but i do feel like I'm a realist and not a pessimist. I don't even think the ABP boycott has any leverage because they don't have the talent there. If you got a pool organization with the top 20 Asian, European, and American players, then you could talk boycott. Anyway, that's just what I think the sad truth is. We don't reward good pool in the US, and we are seeing the results.

I totally empathize with your stance and understand completely how you formed your opinion.

This is why I included the link of the Billiard Education Fund in my thread. If the BCA is not able to devote enough resources to American pros, the Billiard Education Fund is another resource that actually does promote pool to our youth.

Those who are interested in the future of American professional pool may want to contemplate supporting the BEF. It seems they're doing a lot more than the BCA for the advancement of pool in our youth. :smile:

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally empathize with your stance and understand completely how you formed your opinion.

This is why I included the link of the Billiard Education Fund in my thread. If the BCA is not able to devote enough resources to American pros, the Billiard Education Fund is another resource that actually does promote pool to our youth.

Those who are interested in the future of American professional pool may want to contemplate supporting the BEF. It seems they're doing a lot more than the BCA for the advancement of pool in our youth. :smile:

Yes, noble. There is definitely nothing wrong with that cause.

I think the problem is easy to identify, we need to have a situation where the best players in an area are able to get money in their pockets, and thus incentive to practice and improve. How do we get that situation BACK across the US? Truth is, I don't know. But I know what a start would be, as I feel I know a little about pool's recent history.....

With the rise of the leagues came the fall of American pool. Isn't this obvious to everybody?? The timing is literally pretty much perfect. This isn't a coincidence I promise you. I will admit, it could possibly be coincidental, but I don't think it is. I actually don't have anything against leagues and people having fun, other than this one reason. Anyway, as I said, I don't really have any solutions, just suggestions :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, noble. There is definitely nothing wrong with that cause.

I think the problem is easy to identify, we need to have a situation where the best players in an area are able to get money in their pockets, and thus incentive to practice and improve. How do we get that situation BACK across the US? Truth is, I don't know. But I know what a start would be, as I feel I know a little about pool's recent history.....

With the rise of the leagues came the fall of American pool. Isn't this obvious to everybody?? This isn't a coincidence I promise you. I will admit, it could possibly be coincidental, but I don't think it is. I actually don't have anything against leagues and people having fun, other than this one reason. Anyway, as I said, I don't really have any solutions, just suggestions :)

Today's American veteran pros are trying to eke out a living in pool. It's darn near impossible unless you are sponsored with money to make ends meet.

I'm with you on the leagues being fun, and *this* (fun) is where I think the BEF may be one resource to help advance professional pool. Rather than concentrating on pool to be one's sole income, it may be better to put the emphasis on strength of one's game. There's no better high in the world than running out a rack.

Today's pros are struggling economically. There was a time in the '70s and '80s when the payouts in pool could afford a pro to make ends meet.

Today in the year 2011, the payouts are the same amounts as in the '70s and '80s at most venues, and we all know the cost of living has quadrupled. You could get a decent hotel room for 30 bucks and fill your tank in your car for under $20 in 1985.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe it would help to lure new blood into pool concentrating on the "high" in being proficient in pool, as opposed to winning money and having pool be money-making. The emphasis should be on the "high," being good, and the money is just the dessert afterwards. IOW, don't quit school or your day job to become a pro player.

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
.............................................deleted....................................

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I think you can throw Jason Klatt in there, Canadian but mostly living in the states with his future wife Sarah "meat hook" Rousey. He's one of the few from North America who has been traveling abroad playing in all of the major international events.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...I was gonna mentione Jason Klatt too (Cleary beat me to it). Also you have to include Jesse Engel from MN. He is clearly a champion in the making...especially the way he RAN through US Open champions one after another last year. IMO the prize funds are nowhere near what they were 30-40 years ago. Back then there were at least a dozen events every year with $20K+ 1st place prize money. Now...well, I can think of a couple.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Hunter Lombardo? Im pretty sure he's under 30 and he's started a run at traveling around to bigger tournaments.

Reactions: JAM

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
chip compton,joey gray,chris byrne and there is a kid in texas who is going to be a monster if he keeps playing, joey torres only 15 and can swing it with no fear...

Last edited:

argonath

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the economics of it, perhaps this is where old paradigms win out over progress.

In the old days, players traveled the road, making money in small towns, as well as large pool halls. While it wasn't the greatest income, once you established a reputation (Mosconi, Fats, Miz), etc... other opportunities came forth that were supplemental to your playing.

Then, in the 70's and 80's, big players focused on tournaments, and relied upon sponsors and stake horses.

Now... we are in the age of the internet. Websites such as the NYCGrind appeal to billiards, style, music, video production, etc..., and are a haven for many east coast players. With everything being about marketing and celebrity (see how posers like Britney and Bieber can be overnight millionaires), websites are inexpensive to run, and if done right, can be a great supplemental income.

But thats just the tip of the iceberg. Hemmingway used his position as a war correspondent to grow into a world traveler, author, and philosopher.

Today's pool player needs to be savvy in technology, marketing, business, and promotion... as well as skill. You can make infinite amount of dollars writing for an online publication that pays per read for a column you might write, or by having a website, blog, deals for promotions with retailers, etc... the sky is the limit.

Even Joe Dimaggio is half known for being a New York Yankee, and half for being Mr. Coffee.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a couple of good players in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia as well. Eric Moore and Chris Futrell. Chris just won the VA State 9-Ball Championships, and I believe he may only be around 19 or 20 years old!