Game changer at the DCC

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The match was Frost v Schmidt from the last onep tourney held at California Billiards Mountain View around 13 or 14. Should be on youtube, Fast Lenny was the creator.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I'd rather break a slug rack than go through all that effort of racking after a win. Not racking is the reward for winning. Loser racks, and slugs beget slugs. My rack will always be as perfect as humanly possible for an opponent. If they don't respect the game enough to return the favor, then I stop caring how their rack is as much. I won't intentionally slug them but I sure won't show much care if I'm "gifted" a slug.

Ironically (and probably stupidly) I pay more attention to getting a perfect rack for my opponent than on rack your own. Balls will break either way, you just gotta adapt to the rack at hand. In a tournament, I'll look at the rack if my opponent racks, but I won't say a word. I'll break it accordingly. Pool is a mental game. Use the energy to your advantage and don't just stew over it.
I have mentioned this before. With a really bad back, the most painful part for me is racking.
If playing someone $ or a tournament I kindly ask if they would mind racking. If they don't want to, I understand.
Same type of motion as pushing a shopping cart, and it takes a lot of time out of my playing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As someone else has pointed out, the wording, as posted, is ambiguous. We sort of know what they are getting at, and maybe it will always be clear during play, and maybe the long-form rules will be clear, but they really should fix it. Maybe something like:

If you pocket a ball in your opponent's pocket, the ball counts for him unless you also pocket the cue ball. If you knock a ball near your opponent's pocket off the table, it counts for him.

("Near" is slightly ambiguous.) The above leaves a third possible shot that is maybe too unlikely to worry about: you play a take out by jumping the cue ball into the hung object ball which hits the back of the pocket and goes up-table while the cue ball hits your opponent's backer in the third row.

Related to which, there used to be a player at the rec center named "Mean Al". If there was a bystander near the table who bothered him, he would play position on a shot so he could send the cue ball towards the guy's tender parts. He was real accurate. Once he bet that he could hit the electric clock on the wall that was seven feet up. I don't know how many tries he got but the clock was gone.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As someone else has pointed out, the wording, as posted, is ambiguous. We sort of know what they are getting at, and maybe it will always be clear during play, and maybe the long-form rules will be clear, but they really should fix it. Maybe something like:

If you pocket a ball in your opponent's pocket, the ball counts for him unless you also pocket the cue ball. If you knock a ball near your opponent's pocket off the table, it counts for him.

("Near" is slightly ambiguous.) The above leaves a third possible shot that is maybe too unlikely to worry about: you play a take out by jumping the cue ball into the hung object ball which hits the back of the pocket and goes up-table while the cue ball hits your opponent's backer in the third row.

Related to which, there used to be a player at the rec center named "Mean Al". If there was a bystander near the table who bothered him, he would play position on a shot so he could send the cue ball towards the guy's tender parts. He was real accurate. Once he bet that he could hit the electric clock on the wall that was seven feet up. I don't know how many tries he got but the clock was gone.
Another truly ridiculous shot that I'm pretty sure was outlawed long ago was the intentional double hit of the cue ball in the process of pocketing a ball leaning over opponent's pocket. My understanding is that, under today's rules, the ball still counts for opponent unless the cue ball is also pocketed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another truly ridiculous shot that I'm pretty sure was outlawed long ago was the intentional double hit of the cue ball in the process of pocketing a ball leaning over opponent's pocket. My understanding is that, under today's rules, the ball still counts for opponent unless the cue ball is also pocketed.
I think that if there is any foul on the shot other than pocketing the cue ball, the opponent gets the ball. The shot has to be clean except for the pocket scratch.

But in the case of playing an intentional double hit, in some places that gets an unsportsmanlike conduct call. Similar to jamming the cue ball against the facing of a head pocket for the corner hook. (Soft roll is OK for that.)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You’ll still see the odd ball fly off the table under these rules.
If you can hit the hanger straight to the back of the pocket, jack up with draw...try to bounce the ball off the back of the pocket and keep whitey on the table.
It happened to Jimmy Fusco by accident...the guy was trying to put whitey on the floor.
The object ball came out and crawled along the rail into the shooter’s pocket.

It‘s a free shot, you’re probably going to lose anyway.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think that they've updated the language:

Ball Jumped Off the Table Collapse
If the cue ball or an object ball is jumped off the table to prevent an object ball from counting toward the opponents ball count, the object ball will go in the opponents pocket and count toward their ball count and it is a foul and cue ball in hand in the kitchen for the opponent.

Trapping or Wedging the Cue Ball Collapse
It is a foul if a player deliberately traps or wedges the cue ball in the jaw of a pocket. In addition to the foul penalty, the opponent receives cue ball in hand behind the head string.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
... there used to be a player at the rec center named "Mean Al". If there was a bystander near the table who bothered him, he would play position on a shot so he could send the cue ball towards the guy's tender parts. He was real accurate. ...
Reminds me of my younger days:

When I was 13-15 yrs. old, I spent a lot of time after school into the late night fleecing the airmen at the poolhall next to the airbase. Often, many of my opponents' friends would gather around and try to shark me -- blow smoke in my face, bump my cue when I was shooting, screw with my food while I was shooting, etc. I would ask politely for them to stop. If not, the offender(s) would sometimes "accidentally" take a cue ball in the chest/face/nether regions after I played position to do so.

My strategy was win 2+ and lose 1+, again and again. Keep hiding my speed, stringing them along and let them keep raising the bet until they quit (and often then had to pay for the table time). On games I planned on losing, if a target presented itself, let the fun begin. :devilish:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What I’ve always wanted to see at one pocket and straight pool....shoot again option after a foul.
I think that would speed up the game...and it’s an extremely fair rule.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I’ve always wanted to see at one pocket and straight pool....shoot again option after a foul.
Problem is incoming player comes in and walks around scratching his ass , goes up and down as if to shoot 2 or 3 times , places his hand where he is thinking of leaving the cueball , and 5 minutes later says "shoot again". Then the guy who fouled bumps whitey 1 inch and takes a second foul and process repeats. No thanks.

Now isnt it Scottish 8ball where after a foul incoming player gets a free shot followed by a regular turn? That might speed up the game.

Shot clocks are the answer😎

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be a huge change to a game where players frequently take intentionals. At 14.1 you can do almost the equivalent by taking an intentional after your opponent fouls, but you can make the shot even harder.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that they've updated the language:

Ball Jumped Off the Table Collapse
If the cue ball or an object ball is jumped off the table to prevent an object ball from counting toward the opponents ball count, the object ball will go in the opponents pocket and count toward their ball count and it is a foul and cue ball in hand in the kitchen for the opponent.

Trapping or Wedging the Cue Ball Collapse
It is a foul if a player deliberately traps or wedges the cue ball in the jaw of a pocket. In addition to the foul penalty, the opponent receives cue ball in hand behind the head string.
Sadly, that wording is still broken. They need to get a lawyer or something to help them with exact, clear wording. Of course just being a lawyer won't help, but at least they have courses for law students about saying what you mean in English.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That would be a huge change to a game where players frequently take intentionals. At 14.1 you can do almost the equivalent by taking an intentional after your opponent fouls, but you can make the shot even harder.
You just have to think differently when you push....not unlike the Texas Express 9-ball push.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The match was Frost v Schmidt from the last onep tourney held at California Billiards Mountain View around 13 or 14. Should be on youtube, Fast Lenny was the creator.
And those matches are real good too.
Watch until the end...coz Corey is showing Alex something.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Seen Lassiter play a match at Jansco's where he intentionally did the 3 scratch/rerack/foul-at least twice in one game to 125.