Gold Crown I

Mark, JA has had his GC5 for 5 years now ?
Have they been around that long?

I think they came out in 2007 or around that time...I called Brunswick for him and told them Johnny wanted a 5 for his house.
They sent him a new black 5 and black Brunswick light.
I did extended rails to 4-1/8th corners and set the table and light up.

He won the next 4 tournaments he played in after I took the Olhausen table out and put the Brunswick in.

Mark Gregory

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sure...I'm glad you ask....and it's a great question.
First of all the frame was modified in the fact that all 4 center t-style beams are now locked into the long side so as to keep the frame from rolling down. The frame is butcher blocked and sanded flush...for perfect alignment.
The rails have been cut at 45degree angles to lock the rails and castings
together....not allowing the rails to get pushed in or out.
The rails have a small dado cut out in the back...with metal trim for your finger to brace on the rails. (Players love that )
For the first time Brunswick offers a 4.5 corner on the tournament table from the factory. That's the mahogany table...the black comes with 5 corners.
The blinds have small trim work under the castings but on the top of blind to Aline them together better and stronger.
The big ball box on the rack end of the table is now just a small ball box cut into the side of the end blind. Very sporty looking.
The table has those changes....with don't seem like much...but were needed for a much more solid table.
The frames on the GC was always great......the 5 just made the frame the best in the world.
Plus...not to mention how easy it is to work on the 5s.
Trust me....I don't see them making the GC 6 anytime soon....this table's going to be hard to out do.

Don't get me wrong....I do believe that the GC1-2-3-4 can all play as well as the 5......it's all about who works on your table...but more importantly who works on your rails.
I've just finished 3 GC 4 tables with new sub rails to my spec's...with Brunswick super speed cushions....also with 4-1/8th corners....and have heard nothing but how great the tables play....and that's from guy's like Johnny Archer....the mechanic makes a world of difference.

I'm not selling myself.....I'm stating how good Brunswick GC tables truly are.
I put a GC 5 in Johnny Archers house 5 years ago....he still won't let anyone other than me work on it.....and wants no other table in the world in his house....that's from him......not my opinion.

Mark Gregory

Mark, hey buddy...look, you didn't even know anything about using a Makita belt sander to sand the facings with when we met...remember me showing you how I used mine to sand the facings...then you ran right out and bought your own to use?

Remember me showing you the tool I use to cut the feather strips to size....instead of using a pair of side cutters like you were using...you ran right out an bought your own...LOL

Remember me showing you how to glue the bed cloth down?

How about me showing you how to use the wheel to compress the cushions on when attaching them....remember that?

Remember how you use to cut the corners off on the GC rails when they were all nailed out and needed to be repaired....but I told you all about how to cut the wood out from under the formica, removing all the chewed out wood without cutting off the formica ears on the endss of the rails?

Yeah, you're right...you rebuild rails better than I do....sure, no problem...just as long as you believe that...who really cares, I mean after all...why should I explain to you how I can and have cut the whole sub-rails off and built them out all new again...only I don't use a Domino joiner, but you'll claim your sub-rails are much stronger than any I do...only...just exactly how are you going to prove that one buddy...without actually tearing up the rails first?

Mark, while you're at it...you should get a hold of Brunswick and talk to them about correcting the corner pocket miters as no corner pocket on ANY GC...not even the GC5 have the same miters on both sides of the corner pockets...fatboy's GC5 had one corner pocket that the right side miter was at 140 degrees, while the left side of the same pocket was at 143 degrees. While you're at it...check on them side pockets too...the right side is longer than the left side...as well as not having the same miters on both sides of the pocket.

Mark, you're a one dementional table mechanic...meaning you're whole claim to fame is about rebuilding rails...that's it. Nothing wrong with that...I guess.

I on the other hand, like to try working in every aspect of the table industry...in order to create change and bring about better and better tables.

The new steel plate joined 3 piece slate system is the mortal nuts buddy...anyone, even you can put the seams together without superglue or anything to hold them together, no paper in the seams...nothing but a filler to fill the gap of the seam....and they can't come apart, not even walking on top of the slates hanging a light from the ceiling.

Oh....never mind, it's a waste of my time trying to talk to you about anything....you're the BEST buddy, keep up the great work;)

Mark, hey buddy...look, you didn't even know anything about using a Makita belt sander to sand the facings with when we met...remember me showing you how I used mine to sand the facings...then you ran right out and bought your own to use?

Remember me showing you the tool I use to cut the feather strips to size....instead of using a pair of side cutters like you were using...you ran right out an bought your own...LOL

How about me showing you how to use the wheel to compress the cushions on when attaching them....remember that?

Remember how you use to cut the corners off on the GC rails when they were all nailed out and needed to be repaired....but I told you all about how to cut the wood out from under the formica, removing all the chewed out wood without cutting off the formica ears on the endss of the rails?

Yeah, you're right...you rebuild rails better than I do....sure, no problem...just as long as you believe that...who really cares, I mean after all...why should I explain to you how I can and have cut the whole sub-rails off and built them out all new again...only I don't use a Domino joiner, but you'll claim your sub-rails are much stronger than any I do...only...just exactly how are you going to prove that one buddy...without actually tearing up the rails first?

Mark, while you're at it...you should get a hold of Brunswick and talk to them about correcting the corner pocket miters as no corner pocket on ANY GC...not even the GC5 have the same miters on both sides of the corner pockets...fatboy's GC5 had one corner pocket that the right side miter was at 140 degrees, while the left side of the same pocket was at 143 degrees. While you're at it...check on them side pockets too...the right side is longer than the left side...as well as not having the same miters on both sides of the pocket.

Mark, you're a one dementional table mechanic...meaning you're whole claim to fame is about rebuilding rails...that's it. Nothing wrong with that...I guess.

I on the other hand, like to try working in every aspect of the table industry...in order to create change and bring about better and better tables.

The new steel plate joined 3 piece slate system is the mortal nuts buddy...anyone, even you can put the seams together without superglue or anything to hold them together, no paper in the seams...nothing but a filler to fill the gap of the seam....and they can't come apart, not even walking on top of the slates hanging a light from the ceiling.

Oh....never mind, it's a waste of my time trying to talk to you about anything....you're the BEST buddy, keep up the great work;)

Glen...never have I ever said you didn't teach me things....of course you have.
Am I the best rail guy in the country...hands down yes.
Can I fix and do any table...Billiards....snooker...pool....yes...so don't try and make me something I'm not to AZ people.
Your the biggest bullshit artist alive....you do nothing but lie....your wife has sent me text after text....telling how much you lie..
Believe me....do I care if someone thinks you know about pool tables....as long as I know what a joke you are....that's all that matters to me.

Stop trying to put my talent down...just cause your and old bar table hack.
Tell everyone how many times I've corrected you on so many things you hacked up...talking to me over the phone....what did I say....no Glen you should do it this way....and you would...then post it on line under another great RKC idea.
Stop with your bullshit....and face the fact that your not the only guy out here that knows something.

Like I've said in the past.....you have gotten every good mechanic off this forum.....only ones left are me...talking about your dumb ass...and your minions.
Grow up...and stop trying to make everyone look like a fool like you.
And the joint plate is never going to work...like I told you before...and Bobby DeTurk has said the same.
Al Conti came up with the best way of stabilizing slates...and that's super glue.
No need to change the wheel......but as long as you think diamond tables confide in you as a consultant....they will always play the way they do.....spring boxes.
And as far as the Mikita sander goes...I've always used it for the cushions...yes you showed me to use it for facings....wow give you a cigar.
Bobby DeTurk told me about the wood under the Formica ....he came up with that idea not you.
Look....stop talking shit....just take the challenge...rails....table..billiard table snooker table....what ever you want.....hope you pick the diamond....then maybe I can help you try and make it into a real pool table.
Because all the diamond talk out of you...and that table still plays short....the rails still spring....and no one can keep them level for more than 5 days.

Tell everyone how kiss shots in Kentucky ran you out of their poolroom cause you couldn't level the diamonds there.
Tell everyone how you couldn't get the table ready for Chris Bartrum to play a high dollar match on.
Yeah....your the man.....how about the diamond tables you ruined in Philly,Pa.
Show your rail work....I've seen it....and you charge for that work...lMAO
Trust me Glen.....you are better than me on this forum....but on tables and rail work.....your out classed.

All you've done in the past 6 years I've known you is talk on the phone....discuss idea after idea with me....and then present everything as yours.....witch I never cared...cause it helped you with diamond.
How many ideas I've given you on diamond tables.....but they were all your ideas.
Remember the job in Texas you got me...setting up the GC 3.....but never mentioned how screwed up the table was....after I spent hours getting the table right and back together....I hit a ball 3 rails....just as I looked at the owner of the table...and was ready to say man why didn't you tell me the rails where so bad before I recovered it....I could've changed them....but before I could get it out of my mouth....he stopped me and said.....how do you like the rails....Glen just did new sub rails and cushions last years.
I almost passed out....I said.....yeah there ok.....when I really wanted to say...who the &$&$ Did this shit to your rails.
Yeah your work buddy....let's call it for what it is....I got it....get me off the forum....like you did all the top mechanics.....then you can really be the King Cobra......man if you really new the truth....not what you thinks the truth.

Good luck....please don't help me with anything....ask Bobby how many times I've taken your advice...just to tell Bobby....if I listen to that guy on how to do something again....I'm going to just off the curb.....LMAO

Quit smelling the truck fumes and the fast bond glue....then maybe your mind will work right again.

Mark Gregory

Last edited:

Glen...aren't you the same guy that went and told diamond to buy 2 domino jointers....to joint there tables.
Glen...aren't you the same guy that pointed out how off center diamond tables corner pockets are on everyone of there tables.
Here....I'll help you out again....the steel plate jointing is not going to work...that is unless you hone the bottoms of the slates...like the tops of the slates.......and make sure there all the same thickness.....I know....I know....your going to shim the steel plate bar to match the slates....then what are you going to do when people start to strip the screws out of the slates.....then what?
So now what's this new steel plate jointing called......let me guess.....
Real King Cobras.....slate jointing for dummy's....I have to give it to you....you really do come up with some off the wall shit.
Like all the people you talked into diamondnize your GC.

Sad thing....I do like you.....your just a nut job.

Mark Gregory

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Tell everyone how many times I've corrected you on so many things you hacked up...talking to me over the phone....what did I say....no Glen you should do it this way....and you would...then post it on line under another great RKC idea.

NEVER ONCE have I asked YOU for advice...but you sure have called and aske me many times...LMAO

And the joint plate is never going to work...like I told you before...and Bobby DeTurk has said the same.

Really?? Then why did Diamond just get in a shipment of slates all drilled to be steel plate joined together?...because it works Mark, if you didn't have your head so far up your ass you'd know that....LMAO

Al Conti came up with the best way of stabilizing slates...and that's super glue.
No need to change the wheel......but as long as you think diamond tables confide in you as a consultant....they will always play the way they do.....spring boxes.

Bobby DeTurk told me about the wood under the Formica ....he came up with that idea not you.

REALLY???...LMAO...I showed Zach how to cut the corners out in AZ before I knew you...LOL

Because all the diamond talk out of you...and that table still plays short....the rails still spring....and no one can keep them level for more than 5 days.

Maybe you can't, but I don't have a problem with keeping them level.

Tell everyone how kiss shots in Kentucky ran you out of their poolroom cause you couldn't level the diamonds there.

I've never been there, so I have no idea what you're talking about:confused:

Tell everyone how you couldn't get the table ready for Chris Bartrum to play a high dollar match on.

Funny, I don't recall having anything to do with that...nothing at all, so you must be confused

Yeah....your the man.....how about the diamond tables you ruined in Philly,Pa.

I have no idea what you're talking about...once again.

How many ideas I've given you on diamond tables.....but they were all your ideas.

NOT A ONE!

Remember the job in Texas you got me...setting up the GC 3.....but never mentioned how screwed up the table was....after I spent hours getting the table right and back together....I hit a ball 3 rails....just as I looked at the owner of the table...and was ready to say man why didn't you tell me the rails where so bad before I recovered it....I could've changed them....but before I could get it out of my mouth....he stopped me and said.....how do you like the rails....Glen just did new sub rails and cushions last years.
I almost passed out....I said.....yeah there ok.....when I really wanted to say...who the &$&$ Did this shit to your rails.

I didn't rebuild Scotts rails, I changed the cushions and just extened them...NO sub-rail work what so ever...so, how do you like that...LOL The rails were in the condition they were in when he bought the table.

Mark Gregory

Open mouth...insert foot Mark...you're doing a great job buddy...LMAO

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen...aren't you the same guy that went and told diamond to buy 2 domino jointers....to joint there tables.
Glen...aren't you the same guy that pointed out how off center diamond tables corner pockets are on everyone of there tables.
Here....I'll help you out again....the steel plate jointing is not going to work...that is unless you hone the bottoms of the slates...like the tops of the slates.......and make sure there all the same thickness.....I know....I know....your going to shim the steel plate bar to match the slates....then what are you going to do when people start to strip the screws out of the slates.....then what?
Real King Cobras.....slate jointing for dummy's....I have to give it to you....you really do come up with some off the wall shit.

Mark Gregory

They don't like the domino jointers, so they're not using the one they bought, but we're going to use it for setting the corners of the billiard rails in place...so, it'll work for that...LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Mark Gregory

Come on Mark, this is fun....you thinking you know what you're talking about when it comes to me...ROTFLMFAO

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Don't you think that's a real low-ball number? If a guy don't have $6k plus for a Diamond it seems a GC is a good choice. I don't think you are better off buying some Chinese MDF table do you? I think even some of the Olhausens are MDF? A Diamond to most people plays the best but its still a matter of preference. If someone wants to pay less than a new Diamond price what table is he better off getting? For the most part I think most will agree the GC is probably the second best table out there and its not like the GC plays bad, just different, it just becomes an issue if you have to replace cushions cause the Monarchs are no longer available, correct? Its pretty sad if your only 2 choices are $500 or $6k

If a customer already owns a GC, then there's no cost of buying the table plus investing in it at the same time. So, buying a GC and owning one already is 2 different things.

Come on Mark, this is fun....you thinking you know what you're talking about when it comes to me...ROTFLMFAO

Your the biggest key board commando on AZBilliards.
I just don't understand how diamond would want involved with you and the way you lie.
It's unbelievable.....but now I think I have a better understanding of how people said how some people don't even know that their one sick mo fo.

(Those people are referring to people like you)
I really and truly can't take your lies.....you wonder why people want nothing to do with behind your back.....this is the perfect example.
Glen you not only look stupid....you are truly a wack job.

I can't take it....you stay up all day and night...thinking up lies you.

Well congrats....now you and your minions are left on AZ......I'll let people figure you out....I don't have time to mess with you....nor do I use the computer well enough to out lie.

Show everyone how good you really are as a pool table mechanic.....and challenge me any build off.

Other than a build off....stay away loser.

Mark Gregory

Last edited:

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be too much to ask for you two to stop hijacking threads to post your insistent, idiotic back-and-forth banter? Start your own thread and bash each other back and forth all day to your heart's content. That way those of us that don't want to read it can just ignore the thread, rather than sifting through threads of stuff that we do want to read about filled with the same BS over and over again.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Would it be too much to ask for you two to stop hijacking threads to post your insistent, idiotic back-and-forth banter? Start your own thread and bash each other back and forth all day to your heart's content. That way those of us that don't want to read it can just ignore the thread, rather than sifting through threads of stuff that we do want to read about filled with the same BS over and over again.

Wow, I was just thinking the exact same thing. It's sad because I like and appreciate both of these guys, but damn! Can we keep it out of junior high, guys? How about showing some respect instead of just expecting it? Try to keep things productive and informative WITHOUT the pissing contest every time either of you post. Thanks.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I don't know what Marks problem is, don't really care, but he's going to attack me when ever he feels the need to do so, I can't help that.

Bottom line is, when considering buying any kind of a GC, consider first, does it have, or has it in the past had commercial use. Reaon being, if it has then it's more than likely had the cloth changed on it so many times the cloth relief stapling area has been chewed up to where it won't really hold staples any longer. Along with this kind of tearout, the ends of the rails are pretty much going to be nailed out as well, because of mechanic's not using the machine screws to mount the pockets, or they were replaced with cheap pockets that didn't screw in to mount them.

With todays push for tighter pockets, the cushions even if in good condition are going to have to be replaced with longer cushions.

So, this is what I've been trying to get out as a point before I was jumped on.

When thinking about buying a GC, don't just look at the cost of buying the table as wow, I can pick up a GC1 for a steal at $1,500...then I can have the table I've always wanted....RIGHT?

Well, consider the cost of moving that table into your location and add that into the purchase price also.

Now, lets say you went ahead and paid someone to set your NEW table up, and in the process of that....you asked something about new cushions...or the mechanic told you that you really should replace the cushions on your NEW pool table....so, OK...you go along with that idea and spend MORE money to fix your NEW pool table up....RIGHT? And while you're at it....throw in some new Simonis 860 Tour Blue Cloth....added to that bill for your NEW pool table.

Well, down the road a little bit, you start to notice how your table is playing...and it don't play like it did when you first bought it...with your new cushions....new cloth....double shimmed pockets....the whole works....on your NEW pool table.

Your friends that come over to play, start telling you that your NEW pool table don't play all that good, so they don't really want to play on it any more....now that the NEW has worn off.

So, more time goes buy....then you've read and heard about some of the work that Mark and I, and a few other table mechanic's have done to some of the older GC's, making them play way better than when they were built new....I mean like 10X's better...so.......

Then you start looking into the cost of fixing up that NEW GC1 or 2, or 3 that you just bought...a year or two ago, and you decide to either send your rails off to Mark, or call me to come by and rebuild your rails....to make it play that 10X's better than new that you've heard so much about....so, now add in at LEAST another $1,500...to $2,000 to that first expense you laid out to buy your NEW to you....used GC1 or 1 or 3...and along the way, throw in how much you paid someone else to work on your pool table that had NO IDEA what they were doing....because that also was money spent on your NEW to you....worn out old GC1...or 2...or 3 because you thought it was a steal at the price you picked it up for...right?

And lets not forget the amount of money you're going to spend paying someone else to work on your table first just to save a few dollars because the work Mark and I do is way more than you'd planned on spending on that NEW to you....worn out old GC1...or 2...or 3....so add in that cost as well.

So, by the time you actually get that NEW to you GC playing just the way you dreamed it could play....you've sunk in about $4,000 to $5,000 on a NEW to you....worn out, over priced when you bought it....OLD GC1..or 2...or 3.

Now, if you already OWN your GC...it's already sitting there in your house, well....now it's like, OK....how much to make it play like better than new???

OK, well that'll be about $1,500...out the door, give or take a few dollars more depending on any additional repairs needed to fix the table up right.

Can you get this type of work done cheaper....sure, but is it going to turn out perfect when it's done...well, that all depends on who you start with....and not who you end up with in the end.

Would't it be great if the first table mechanic you hired, was also the last because everthing was done right the first time:thumbup:

Glen

Reactions: JC

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

I don't know what Marks problem is, don't really care, but he's going to attack me when ever he feels the need to do so, I can't help that.

Bottom line is, when considering buying any kind of a GC, consider first, does it have, or has it in the past had commercial use. Reaon being, if it has then it's more than likely had the cloth changed on it so many times the cloth relief stapling area has been chewed up to where it won't really hold staples any longer. Along with this kind of tearout, the ends of the rails are pretty much going to be nailed out as well, because of mechanic's not using the machine screws to mount the pockets, or they were replaced with cheap pockets that didn't screw in to mount them.

With todays push for tighter pockets, the cushions even if in good condition are going to have to be replaced with longer cushions.

So, this is what I've been trying to get out as a point before I was jumped on.

When thinking about buying a GC, don't just look at the cost of buying the table as wow, I can pick up a GC1 for a steal at $1,500...then I can have the table I've always wanted....RIGHT?

Well, consider the cost of moving that table into your location and add that into the purchase price also.

Now, lets say you went ahead and paid someone to set your NEW table up, and in the process of that....you asked something about new cushions...or the mechanic told you that you really should replace the cushions on your NEW pool table....so, OK...you go along with that idea and spend MORE money to fix your NEW pool table up....RIGHT? And while you're at it....throw in some new Simonis 860 Tour Blue Cloth....added to that bill for your NEW pool table.

Well, down the road a little bit, you start to notice how your table is playing...and it don't play like it did when you first bought it...with your new cushions....new cloth....double shimmed pockets....the whole works....on your NEW pool table.

Your friends that come over to play, start telling you that your NEW pool table don't play all that good, so they don't really want to play on it any more....now that the NEW has worn off.

So, more time goes buy....then you've read and heard about some of the work that Mark and I, and a few other table mechanic's have done to some of the older GC's, making them play way better than when they were built new....I mean like 10X's better...so.......

Then you start looking into the cost of fixing up that NEW GC1 or 2, or 3 that you just bought...a year or two ago, and you decide to either send your rails off to Mark, or call me to come by and rebuild your rails....to make it play that 10X's better than new that you've heard so much about....so, now add in at LEAST another $1,500...to $2,000 to that first expense you laid out to buy your NEW to you....used GC1 or 1 or 3...and along the way, throw in how much you paid someone else to work on your pool table that had NO IDEA what they were doing....because that also was money spent on your NEW to you....worn out old GC1...or 2...or 3 because you thought it was a steal at the price you picked it up for...right?

And lets not forget the amount of money you're going to spend paying someone else to work on your table first just to save a few dollars because the work Mark and I do is way more than you'd planned on spending on that NEW to you....worn out old GC1...or 2...or 3....so add in that cost as well.

So, by the time you actually get that NEW to you GC playing just the way you dreamed it could play....you've sunk in about $4,000 to $5,000 on a NEW to you....worn out, over priced when you bought it....OLD GC1..or 2...or 3.

Now, if you already OWN your GC...it's already sitting there in your house, well....now it's like, OK....how much to make it play like better than new???

OK, well that'll be about $1,500...out the door, give or take a few dollars more depending on any additional repairs needed to fix the table up right.

Can you get this type of work done cheaper....sure, but is it going to turn out perfect when it's done...well, that all depends on who you start with....and not who you end up with in the end.

Would't it be great if the first table mechanic you hired, was also the last because everthing was done right the first time:thumbup:

Glen

-
The same thing will apply to a diamond in time...what do you think is going to happen when someone buys a 15-20 year old diamond and the pockets have come up missing or wore out... U think the installer will say' hey I've got some $35 pockets that will fit......
Just about everything that happens to a GC can and will happen to a diamond....you name someone that has never dropped a pool table rail....throw around a GC rail and a diamond rail and see which ears of the rail snap off first....
Nothing's perfect and lasts forever'

Will you to stop pissing in each others shoe and stick your souls together to build the real deal pool table! I've got some steel chassis that would be ideal'

Rob.M

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
-
The same thing will apply to a diamond in time...what do you think is going to happen when someone buys a 15-20 year old diamond and the pockets have come up missing or wore out... U think the installer will say' hey I've got some $35 pockets that will fit......
Just about everything that happens to a GC can and will happen to a diamond....you name someone that has never dropped a pool table rail....throw around a GC rail and a diamond rail and see which ears of the rail snap off first....
Nothing's perfect and lasts forever'

Will you to stop pissing in each others shoe and stick your souls together to build the real deal pool table! I've got some steel chassis that would be ideal'

Rob.M

First of all, there are no other pockets that will fit in a Diamond. Second, abuse is abuse, don't care what the table make is. Third, no dymondwood rails are ever going to age the same as formica top rail are going to age, as you can't just sand out the scratchs in the formica and buff to a finish like you can with the Dymondwood rails.

There's also way less hardware involved in the building of the Diamond rails and frames than what's used to put together a GC. And there's no casting issues on a Diamond to have to line up, or try and get them to fit right...like there is on a GC.

But, I wasn't talking about comparing tables here now was I? I was simply addressing the selling price of a lot of GC's being over priced...because they're simply put...worn out for the most part, GC's, and the REAL cost of fixing one up to get it to play right...

so, re-read what I posted Rob, maybe the second time around you'll catch the meaning. Mark is the one who wanted to compare GC's against the Diamond's as the GC's being a much better built table, not me. So, do me a favor and YOU do a cost projection of the real cost of buying a GC1, fixing it up to play at it's best....then post it here in this thread....lets see what YOU come up with as a REAL cost of buying an older, worn out GC and bringing it up to speed with today's tables...I'm waiting;)

Glen

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Cdryden, you started a holy war. haha

I'm going to chime it from another perspective. The reason I like a real GC1 is because the pocket metals are cast aluminium. Are you sure it's truly a GC1?

I don't know why RKC takes such an in your face approach to everything he does on this public forum but I will say he is knowledgeable and he uses that knowledge to the best of his abilities.

I much prefer Mark Gregory's style even though I still haven't sent him my rails it's in the back of my mind when I get ready to do the work.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I'm going to chime it from another perspective. The reason I like a real GC1 is because the pocket metals are cast aluminium. Are you sure it's truly a GC1?

I don't know why RKC takes such an in your face approach to everything he does on this public forum but I will say he is knowledgeable and he uses that knowledge to the best of his abilities.

I much prefer Mark Gregory's style even though I still haven't sent him my rails it's in the back of my mind when I get ready to do the work.

I don't beat around the bush, I call it like I see it...LOL And Mark is a great choice to send your rails out to have them rebuilt, but just make sure you have someone ready to finish up the other 50% of the job when you get them back, because though Mark feels the rails are the most important part of the table....the rest of it has to play like it to...or you still end up with a table that plays like shit...with perfect rails, which at that point, don't amount to a hill of beans:D

realkingcobra

Silver Member

PS. Add the cost of finishing up the table to the cost of the rails, as that's still going to have to be laid out once you get your rails back. I'll be down in Houston in Jan/Feb working, so if you want to send the rails to mark and get them back by then, I'll might give a thought to finishing the rest of the table for you so it's ready to play on when the work is done.

JC

Coos Cues
The truth is everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Both the Diamond's and the Gold Crowns have so many funky flaws to them that it makes you shake your head. Clearly the best and the brightest among humanity have never applied their talents to the pool table question. It's really a sorry state for lack of a better description. And it has been for more than 100 years. Not unlike the entire pool culture.

JC

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The truth is everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Both the Diamond's and the Gold Crowns have so many funky flaws to them that it makes you shake your head. Clearly the best and the brightest among humanity have never applied their talents to the pool table question. It's really a sorry state for lack of a better description. And it has been for more than 100 years. Not unlike the entire pool culture.

JC

I couldn't agree with you more, in fact Mark and I have discussed that very subject over and over again, to the point that if the table manufactures were smart, instead of them being so upset about the kind of work that Mark and I do to their old tables which makes them play better that what is being built today....one would think that the table manufacturing industry would be interested in us as full time consultants to them....so that we're NOT out being their competition;)

JC

Finally....a man that knows what's going on.
The manufacturer makes the pool tables to sale to the world.
The mechanics job is to make the table play great out of the box....only problem is that even if the best mechanic does the best job possible setting up the table.....the table will only play as good as it was made.
I don't follow numbers when I redo tables.....I know how thick I want my rails....and how thick I want my sub rails....and where I want my cushions to sit at.

I don't use anything other than....my feel for how I like a table to play.
You can't do a table with just making everything certain measurements.
Certain cushions play differently on different wood rails and different on certain heights.

I'm not comparing any tables to the GC5.....all I said was the GC 5 is the best made table in the world......that's comparing it to every table.
But....that's how I feel.....I also said what I think is not written in stone.

Mark Gregory