Gold Crown Two

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting a 4 1/2 + 9 Foot Gold Crown Two and it's being delivered this Sunday. I have some indecision on how big to make the pockets. My high run is 64 on a gold crown three with 4 1/2 pkts under really bad conditions. The table played pretty tough. I would really like to run 100 balls but I think 5 inch pockets are a bit to large. I was thinking 4 5/8 inch or 4 3/4 ... I am getting simonis 860 blue tournament cloth. Any suggestions with the pocket size??

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my GC4 last year, and I wanted the pockets factory (5"). I love it that way for practicing straight pool.

Everyone has their own personal opinion of this. Mine is I want to have as much fun on my home table as possible. The game is hard enough:)

Congratulations on the table.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I'd say go for the 5" pockets and run a hundred. Straight Pool should be played on looser pockets.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I got my GC4 last year, and I wanted the pockets factory (5"). I love it that way for practicing straight pool.

Everyone has their own personal opinion of this. Mine is I want to have as much fun on my home table as possible. The game is hard enough:)

Congratulations on the table.

Very good statement & 100% correct. That is the way that the table was meant to be played on. You will learn how to use all angles of the pocket by not altering the equipment.
Congrats on the wonderful table.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations on your GCII. re pocket size...setting up for primarily 14.1? or all games?

Enjoy your table, whatever pocket size decision you make.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, too, just purchased a GCII and am thinking through the same issue. I am taking my time with the re-assembly as the table is the finest unrestored original GCII I've ever seen. It was privately owned for more than 40 years, never moved, and re-covered only once. It is still in the original paint scheme (blue/white) which I plan to maintain. The condition of the table is simply astounding - no alterations are planned.
I did a test fit with two of the corner joining rails and it appears the pocket opening is slightly greater than 5.0". I have yet to set up for side pocket measurement. While re-covering the rails before final install, I am going to remove the original cushion facings and replace with 6.4mm neoprene facings @ 60 durometer hardness -
see here:
http://www.pooltablefeltcloth.com/Cushions-Supplies/cushion-facings.shtm

The thickness of these facings will close the pocket opening by 0.25" (versus standard thickness facings) giving a finished opening of slightly less than 5.0". I was told by the fellow who disassembled and moved the table to me that the cushions are in great condition. Accordingly, I would like to avoid the whole issue of sub-rail modification/extension (to fit the presently available K-55 cushion replacements). Thus, for me the pocket facing solution is acceptable. Hopefully, it plays out this way.
I owned a Diamond Pro for 13 years; I'm kinda done with the torture track routine. As many here have stated, let's have some fun playing straight pool!

~Rick

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I am getting a 4 1/2 + 9 Foot Gold Crown Two and it's being delivered this Sunday. I have some indecision on how big to make the pockets. My high run is 64 on a gold crown three with 4 1/2 pkts under really bad conditions. The table played pretty tough. I would really like to run 100 balls but I think 5 inch pockets are a bit to large. I was thinking 4 5/8 inch or 4 3/4 ... I am getting simonis 860 blue tournament cloth. Any suggestions with the pocket size??

I would go with the 5 in pockets and have some fun.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the great feedback guys, it's much appreciated!! I'm pretty much going to be using my table to practice straight pool runs. It sounds like 5 inch pkts gives me the best chance to run a 100. I can run 50 fairly consistantly on 4 1/2 inch pkts. Hopefully I can run a 100 on the 5 inch pkts. I know I will have to play my patterns well to make that run, so I'm not expecting my pkts to hand me a 100 ball run on a silver platter:). It's just a goal of mine. I am so impressed by people who can make big runs in SP because I know how tough it is by making countless tries. It has definately improved my overall game for sure. When I first came back to pool after a pretty long lay off I only practiced straight pool by myself for 4 months. I didn't play anyone. I won around 5 or 6 local 9 ball tournaments when I started competing again. I felt so in stroke at the table, it was amazing. I think it was from hitting all those balls for those months. I even won a 9 ball tournament while John Schmidt was watching the finals from the rail. I was glad not to choke in front of him, because I have a lot of respect for his game and wanted to do well with him watching. Shoot straight everybody and as soon as I make a run that's decent, I will post it to be critiqued. There is so much knowledge on these forums I really appreciate all the information that players share....Good Luck All:)

Last edited:

bountybuddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned a Gold Crown 1 or 2 for six years and it is my pride and joy. It's such a pleasure to play on. I feel Gold Crown's are the best playing pool tables in the world. The pockets on mine have been tightened up to just under 2 ball width to help my players get better faster. The table is to tough for me to play on now so in the next month or so I'm going to have the pockets widened to 4.5" or 5", not sure which. My high run is 58 balls. I always wanted to run 100 but have not done it yet. Straight pool is my favorite game but not many people here play it. It's a pool players game. I much prefer no slop games to slop games. Shoot well my friend and enjoy your Gold Crown Two.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good statement & 100% correct. That is the way that the table was meant to be played on. You will learn how to use all angles of the pocket by not altering the equipment.
Congrats on the wonderful table.

I agree with 14-1StraightMan. Too loose is no good, but so is too tight. 5" is tight enough to keep you from getting sloppy, but loose enough for you to get that elusive 100 ball high run. I think tight pockets are a farce, unless you're playing one pocket (a game I loathe). Good luck and congratulations on your table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sunday came and went:) Did you get the table? What did you end up doing with the setup? How do you like it? Lets see some pictures:)

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
Personally I feel for 14.1 the pockets should be a little forgiving. For some games like 9-ball tight pockets are OK if you like that. If you want to have the table to enjoy with players (or friends) of lower skill than yours the really tight pockets might make their experience a bit uncomfortable. If you are only interested in having the table for practice and you normally play in tournaments on those sort of pockets that would be another reason to get tighter pockets. Sorry about my vague answer.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I am going to disagree with the conses here. Everyone wants to run 100, so the big push for 5 inch pockets. Hey let's go for 200 and make the pockets 6 inch??? Where does it end. Is the game really about long runs only? How about pocketing skills and pattern play. My view is pool skills are improving and all games are moving to tighter pockets. IMO 5 inch is a bucket and I am not a pro (highest run 34). If I can't hit the ball straight, I don't deserve to pocket the ball. Let's not forget that pockets were bigger when tables were slower. They were hitting balls harder and little forgiveness was due. Now the table and balls are quicker. An easy stroke moves the balls around very easily. IMO opinion 4.75 is about as large as it should go. My table is 4 5/8. Are any of the big tournaments played on 5 inch pockets? I doubt it, but could be wrong. Don't you want to measure yourself against the pros and play what they play on?

Just my 3 cents.:thumbup:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Mark,

Does your table have factory rails or extended rails?

I've always had a pool table in my home and about 7 years ago I picked up a GC-II and totally refurbished it. I've had it set up several different ways. The table itself has extended rails and set up with one standard pocket facing the pockets are about 4 - 3/8" at the openings. I've had the table double shimmed with the extended rail and the pockets were ~4" at the openings and it was completely demoralizing after a couple days of play.

I had the extra shims removed and I love the way it naturally plays now. Pockets will spit balls out that are not hit well. But it's not so tight that you can't run some balls. I mostly practice by myself on the table and I prefer one pocket. So I like the table more on the "snug" side.

I don't play straight pool and so I don't worry about running balls. Since you do play straight pool I'm inclined to recommend 4 - 5/8". If you can achieve this with only one pocket facing that would be best.

You other option would be to send the rails to Mark Gregory. I think for about $1,000 he will make them play outstanding..

Good luck with your new table..!!

Mark..

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sunday came and went:) Did you get the table? What did you end up doing with the setup? How do you like it? Lets see some pictures:)

Hi iusedtoberich. Yes Steve from California just set up my table. It sat around for two weeks due to his backed up schedule. I didn't want anyone else to set it up because he is the best in California IMO. It is a Gold Crown Three, not two with 860 Simonis blue tournament cloth. I bought it from Gary Henry out of Gary's Victor Billiards in Victorville CA. We have been friends since 93'. He sold me an awesome table and Steve set it up killer. I ended up making the pkts 4 5/8 inch. I will post pictures when I get home for you to check out, I am in Canada at the moment playing a show. I ran 48 so far. It plays really good....:thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi iusedtoberich. Yes Steve from California just set up my table. It sat around for two weeks due to his backed up schedule. I didn't want anyone else to set it up because he is the best in California IMO. It is a Gold Crown Three, not two with 860 Simonis blue tournament cloth. I bought it from Gary Henry out of Gary's Victor Billiards in Victorville CA. We have been friends since 93'. He sold me an awesome table and Steve set it up killer. I ended up making the pkts 4 5/8 inch. I will post pictures when I get home for you to check out, I am in Canada at the moment playing a show. I ran 48 so far. It plays really good....:thumbup:

Awesome. Congratulations on the table. Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted. Many high runs to you:)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are we being sarcastic?....

The OP asked about table setup to play specifically 14.1. How would that not belong to the 14.1 section?