Got To Know When To Quit

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was just off his game... didn't have a gear. And to get beat with the break, which was Earl's legend in the old days, well that's gotta burn. I do think Earl's mental issues get in the way of the super high gear he MIGHT catch once in a while...

I do agree about 'overstaying your welcome', thinking you might do it again... I'm thinking Ali.. his last fight was sad, Jordan, Kobe (although last night Kobe turned the clock back.. slam dunk, three's)

Now Efren... I hope I'm watching him play One Pocket forever... every game, there's a little move that makes you go Hmmmmm:cool:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where would someone like Earl make a living other than pool at this stage of his life?
At 15 years old my son was arguably the best in the U.S. behind Josh Brothers and Shane Winters - defeated by each of them and no one else in successive years at Valley Forge in the early 2000s - but he went to college and is a very successful young man at 29 making over six figures a year in IT consulting sales -- still loves pool and plays well -- but there was no future then in pool and even less so today from a sponsorship standpoint -- Mosconi and others lived off of Brunswick for virtually their entire lifetime--those days will never come back. In my view, pool in the US is permanently relegated to a leisure activity. I have been involved since the mid 1960s and seen a lot.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check the signature line under your posts. You crack me up sometimes! Maybe you should consider giving up on the forums.

For a flat fee of $100, I will gladly explain the difference between the meaning of the
phrase "Never give up" and that of "Play til you're too old for it"

Dale(master English user)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
"Never give up" your sig says.. Hmmmm.. Well with Earl, antics or not he's a legend of the game. This is a game I love because it doesn't matter if your old, short, fat or even disabled. Pretty well anyone can play this game for a lifetime.
There have been posts about Efren in the past as well, too old, too much chess and no more desire etc. when these legends want to call it quits they can do so on their terms, they've earned that right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. pool isn't like more dangerous contact sports. I'm 72,,,I enjoy knocking balls around. Why should I quit?

On the other hand, maybe Peyton Manning should consider quitting before a serious life changing injury happens. If he keeps playing he's headed for life in a wheelchair...or worse.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Not one person talking bad about Earl would bet a nickel playing him - maybe you all should quit.

Reactions: KRJ

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnny, this post is inconsistent with your sig line....
.....NEVER GIVE UP....

Fred Davis, a few time world snooker and english billiards champion, was winning
matches in the WPBSA in his middle 60s....his power shots and long game were
greatly diminished, but he compensated by being more clever.

Earl will have to find a new way to win, 'cause he still hits the ball well.

...and I love how Shane treats him....respect for the old lion.
...Shane is a class act.

"Never give up" I'm not and never was a champion. Never give up is not just a saying for pool. It means life in general. Johnnyt

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real sad thing about all of pool's living legends is that there isn't:
1. A seniors tour
2. A public appreciation for exhibitions
3. No young players that need schooling and coaching

That said - What one reaps is what one sows.

Just keep on keeping on I guess :thumbup:

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
How much has your game diminished from your prime? Would you care if one of us watched you play and mentioned that we liked watching you more when you played better?

If you don't want to see him play don't watch him. What could you possibly complain about next? I shutter to think what it is like to go to a restaurant with you.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is really just "Earl used to be a best of the best, amazing phenom, top in the world on a bad day player" and now he's just a run of the mill 750+ Fargorate, high level pro who can still beat anyone on any given day. He's still obviously a VERY good player, it's just that he's gotta resort to more of those fade-away jumpers than charging the lane like Jordan did when he got older. He's not even close to "wow he sucks so bad he should really quit" status. Same goes for the (pretty ridiculous) and similar Efren arguments.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here's $.02 worth

Earl's personality notwithstanding, I still enjoy watching him stroke that cue and play the game. Unlike other sports or games, older pool players can still show you some stuff...... although they may not be able to compete at the level they did in their prime, it's not like other sports....

It was extremely hard and even painful to watch Ali fight Holmes in 1980......there oughta be a law against something like that....you got the feeling that even Holmes wanted the fight stopped because he didn't want to hurt Ali, who seemed helpless at that time...

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
How much has your game diminished from your prime? Would you care if one of us watched you play and mentioned that we liked watching you more when you played better?

If you don't want to see him play don't watch him. What could you possibly complain about next? I shutter to think what it is like to go to a restaurant with you.

I wouldn't care who saw me play now and compare it to years go, but I wouldn't be jumping to play a bunch of A+ players today either. Again, I was not close to a champion ever.

I think it's sad to come on here and state your feelings for something or somebody W/O having to read your kind of BS. Johnnyt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran racks upon racks when I was young, but now I'm 61, blind, have no stroke, play once a week, and was only able to run a 5-pack (made the 9 on the break in the 6th rack and scratched) on a 9-footer a while back.

Maybe I should quit, but I think I'll wait until a "young gun" runs a 5-pack on me first.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a flat fee of $100, I will gladly explain the difference between the meaning of the
phrase "Never give up" and that of "Play til you're too old for it"

Dale(master English user)

Please do! Since you're a master English user, please show me where the phrase "Play til you're too old for it" was said. Johnny is whining again, this time about someone else playing longer than he thinks they should. Meanwhile, he finds the phrase "Never give up" meaningful enough to display on each and every one of his posts. A bit contradictory if you ask me. Explain it for me and please attach your home address so I can send you that $100.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
...and Earl is up 8-0 on the reining US Open champion, shooting .952 in 10 ball.

Pool is a 4 letter word, a very fickle one.

Last edited:

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should never been in this event
Guys disgrace to the sport how he's acted over the years
Sad people vote him in because want to laugh at him pissed off than see another top player

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
He should never been in this event

Guys disgrace to the sport how he's acted over the years

Sad people vote him in because want to laugh at him pissed off than see another top player

That's your opinion... It Stinks like shit but you probably like the smell of your own farts so no big deal

Earl 1
Kevin Cheng 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk