Grady Matthews at the World 14.1 Event

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For years, we've all followed, on AZB, the saga of Grady Matthews and his wish to play in the Dragon Promotions 14.1 event that is now four years old.

Some thought it a good idea, but others felt that, despite Grady's illustrious competitive past, his track record of late made him unworthy. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I was always in the second of these two camps.

Well, you know what? I was wrong. Grady played this year, and though his play was not really reminiscent of the Grady of old, his very presence added to the event.

On Tuesday night, I made a point of saying hello to Grady, whom I've met often but never known very well. First, I offered condolences on the sad passing of his wife. He was cordial and congenial and we had a very brief chat. Moments later, Dan DiLiberto and Pete Margo joined us in a few reminiscences of the good old days of straight pool. Pete Margo's name would come up several times before the week was over, as Ortmann, with 4 different 100+ ball runs entering the quarterfinals, was in position to eclipse Pete's record, accomplished in 1979, of six 100+ ball runs in one event.

To sum, if Grady did not play like a champion, he conducted himself as a champion and living legend of the game. His inclusion in the event definitely added to it, and I wanted to share that with the forum.
 
For years, we've all followed, on AZB, the saga of Grady Matthews and his wish to play in the Dragon Promotions 14.1 event that is now four years old.

Some thought it a good idea, but others felt that, despite Grady's illustrious competitive past, his track record of late made him unworthy. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I was always in the second of these two camps.

Well, you know what? I was wrong. Grady played this year, and though his play was not really reminiscent of the Grady of old, his very presence added to the event.

On Tuesday night, I made a point of saying hello to Grady, whom I've met often but never known very well. First, I offered condolences on the sad passing of his wife. He was cordial and congenial and we had a very brief chat. Moments later, Dan DiLiberto and Pete Margo joined us in a few reminiscences of the good old days of straight pool. Pete Margo's name would come up several times before the week was over, as Ortmann, with 4 different 100+ ball runs entering the quarterfinals, was in position to eclipse Pete's record, accomplished in 1979, of six 100+ ball runs in one event.

To sum, if Grady did not play like a champion, he conducted himself as a champion and living legend of the game. His inclusion in the event definitely added to it, and I wanted to share that with the forum.

You're class act, SJM!
JoeyA
 
Well said SJM...and I hope somebody bought Grady a dramboui (sp?) and a potato salad. He deserves allocades...if we don't respect the past, we have no future.
 
Grady Mathews provides a depth of class and dignity to the game of pocket billiards that is unmatched.

Nuff said.
 
Grady

My friend played Grady at the DCC and beat him playing one pocket. It was quite the thrill as my friend is still just learning the game. Yes, Grady's skills has slipped but he was as classy in the loss as he would have been in a victory.

My friend is a great nine ball player and shot maker, and Grady was able to stay in the match by out moving and knowing 1000 more shots than my friend did.

He even showed my friend a couple shots after the match...how do you like that?

Ken
 
For years, we've all followed, on AZB, the saga of Grady Matthews and his wish to play in the Dragon Promotions 14.1 event that is now four years old.

Some thought it a good idea, but others felt that, despite Grady's illustrious competitive past, his track record of late made him unworthy. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I was always in the second of these two camps.

Well, you know what? I was wrong. Grady played this year, and though his play was not really reminiscent of the Grady of old, his very presence added to the event.

On Tuesday night, I made a point of saying hello to Grady, whom I've met often but never known very well. First, I offered condolences on the sad passing of his wife. He was cordial and congenial and we had a very brief chat. Moments later, Dan DiLiberto and Pete Margo joined us in a few reminiscences of the good old days of straight pool. Pete Margo's name would come up several times before the week was over, as Ortmann, with 4 different 100+ ball runs entering the quarterfinals, was in position to eclipse Pete's record, accomplished in 1979, of six 100+ ball runs in one event.

To sum, if Grady did not play like a champion, he conducted himself as a champion and living legend of the game. His inclusion in the event definitely added to it, and I wanted to share that with the forum.

Wow Great thread and thanks. I admire Grady and its good to hear some feed back. I hope things will be as smooth as possible for him for the next few months, I can't imagine hom much life will change with the loss of his wife:frown:.
 
I agree 100%! Just the fact that Grady was still able to go and play (mentally and physically), is a testament to his longtime status as a legend of the sport! Congratulations to Grady! I don't think I could have performed under the circumstances he had to bear! I sure wish him the best, in the days, months, and years to come!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Wow Great thread and thanks. I admire Grady and its good to hear some feed back. I hope things will be as smooth as possible for him for the next few months, I can't imagine hom much life will change with the loss of his wife:frown:.
 
For years, we've all followed, on AZB, the saga of Grady Matthews and his wish to play in the Dragon Promotions 14.1 event that is now four years old.

Some thought it a good idea, but others felt that, despite Grady's illustrious competitive past, his track record of late made him unworthy. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I was always in the second of these two camps.

Well, you know what? I was wrong. Grady played this year, and though his play was not really reminiscent of the Grady of old, his very presence added to the event.

On Tuesday night, I made a point of saying hello to Grady, whom I've met often but never known very well. First, I offered condolences on the sad passing of his wife. He was cordial and congenial and we had a very brief chat. Moments later, Dan DiLiberto and Pete Margo joined us in a few reminiscences of the good old days of straight pool. Pete Margo's name would come up several times before the week was over, as Ortmann, with 4 different 100+ ball runs entering the quarterfinals, was in position to eclipse Pete's record, accomplished in 1979, of six 100+ ball runs in one event.

To sum, if Grady did not play like a champion, he conducted himself as a champion and living legend of the game. His inclusion in the event definitely added to it, and I wanted to share that with the forum.

Tap. Tap. Tap.
 
Many years ago, Grady came to our little po-dunk pool hall (sticks and stones in Athens OH) and gave a one pocket demo. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen! Forget the fact that I have seen very few 'rock stars'! - that guy was a class act and helped me through all the dark nights in dank creep filled pool halls!

I was lucky enough to work there so didnt have to pay the addmission fee and the guy was still nice enough to spend an hour with me afterwards. Of course his was kicking my a$$ all over the table but it was still great!

Chris
 
I agree 100%! Just the fact that Grady was still able to go and play (mentally and physically), is a testament to his longtime status as a legend of the sport! Congratulations to Grady! I don't think I could have performed under the circumstances he had to bear! I sure wish him the best, in the days, months, and years to come!

So true, Scott. Just by being there, Grady showed great character.
 
For years, we've all followed, on AZB, the saga of Grady Matthews and his wish to play in the Dragon Promotions 14.1 event that is now four years old.

Some thought it a good idea, but others felt that, despite Grady's illustrious competitive past, his track record of late made him unworthy. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I was always in the second of these two camps.

Well, you know what? I was wrong. Grady played this year, and though his play was not really reminiscent of the Grady of old, his very presence added to the event.

On Tuesday night, I made a point of saying hello to Grady, whom I've met often but never known very well. First, I offered condolences on the sad passing of his wife. He was cordial and congenial and we had a very brief chat. Moments later, Dan DiLiberto and Pete Margo joined us in a few reminiscences of the good old days of straight pool. Pete Margo's name would come up several times before the week was over, as Ortmann, with 4 different 100+ ball runs entering the quarterfinals, was in position to eclipse Pete's record, accomplished in 1979, of six 100+ ball runs in one event.

To sum, if Grady did not play like a champion, he conducted himself as a champion and living legend of the game. His inclusion in the event definitely added to it, and I wanted to share that with the forum.

Classy move.A lot can be said by people who represent pool in it's best form.It's sounds as Grady does that and I think it's great!Thanks for sharing!!:smile:
 
Back
Top