Green or Blue Simonis 860

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike,

Like the blue cloth alot! However, have you thought about the table lighting? If you have the minimum, the blue will probably contrast better. With very bright Diamond lighting, the blue almost becomes too much. Are you using Centennials, Aramith Super Pro's or some more colorful billiard balls? Just some additional thoughts.

Incidentally, is that a 275 GTB? Sure looks beautiful!

Lyn

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Blue Simonis 860 at home and I love it. The pool hall that I spend most of my time at has the blue simonis as well but all the other pool halls around here still use the green.

md5key

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting the green on my GC III.. I wanted blue but the wife veto'd that idea. Choose your battles :)

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
BLUE!!!!

Man, i can't begin to tell you how many friggin times i've walked into a room for a tournament, gotten stuck on a table with crappy lighting, and then had the 6 ball end up on the rail ALL DAY LONG!
You want to talk about not being able to see the ball.
I've missed the damn 6 ball more times then i care to remember, simply because i couldn't see the edge of it on that green junk.
At one point I was so disgusted with the green 6 and 14 balls, that i was seriously wanting to change the official color of the 6 and 14, to GREY.

Blue is the way to go man. No doubts about it.
You can keep that green crap.
That stuff stinks.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
FastMikie said:
I need to recover my Gold Crown IV and was thinking maybe I would go with the light blue you see on so many tables nowadays, rather than the traditional green.

It seems that the blue would not show the blue chalk marks and the burn marks (from breaking and masse' shots) as much as the green. Do blue and green play the same? I also heard that there will be less shadow under the rails with the blue cloth...

I'd appreciate some feedback on which would be the better choice?

Thanks!
I really like the Tournament Blue.

Fred

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I personally like the looks of the blue over the green. I currently have olive simonis 860 on my table at home, but when I change out the cloth I'll go with blue.

Two quick questions:

1. Is there any argument for electric blue simonis over tournament blue?
2. Has anyone ever tried green chalk on blue cloth? (Sort of like blue chalk on green cloth)

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Simonis 860 HR

I have a Diamond Pro AM 9 foot - tournament blue Siminos 860 HR. Its new from Simonis and doesnt burn as much as the regular Siminos. I have had it about 3 months on my table and still looks great. Anybody else had this experience?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Simonis 860 HR has been available for years. The HR stands for Humidity Resistant. The local pool room is located in the basement of a strip mall. Standard 860 is way too slow. We tried the 860 HR. Still too slow. Changed two years ago to 760. Seems to work just fine.

Lyn

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the HR stood for "Heat Resistant" because the white marks appear less.

I have a Tournament Blue on my table and was thinking about going back to green. My lighting is not the greatest so now I am thinking of staying with the blue even though my basement is orange and green (Go Canes!). I am still trying to find an 8 foot Diamond light.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
H R

HR stands for high resistance. It has been out for a while, but Simonis just improved the dye to resist fade more.

The "new" HR does resist ball scufts, but you will still get some.

Blue and Green are the same speed. LOL. What WILL alter the speed is how much it is stretched when installed. Also how the rails are loaded up.

If you would like a smoking deal on some. PM me.

Ray

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I would think about where you play for money, or tournys. Is their cloth Blue, or Green. Stay with that color. Personally if I had room for a Table at home it would be Gray Cloth, as I like the Color Gray.
grouphug.gif

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With your view, even shocking pink would work !

FastMikie said:
I thought the same thing! I played for the first time on some blue cloth this past weekend at Shoreline Billiards in Mountain View, CA. I really liked how fast it was playing. Sweet.

Mike,

I chose Sim. 860 blue/green. Its close enough to traditional green, but the bluish tone makes the balls seem to stand out nice. Also chalk marks don't seem to be a problem. Its an older Crown III, and we're just putting the finishing touches on it now. Also had all metal re-plated copper, and new rubber put on. Will update you as to speed, etc. when I get some play time in. With the view from your table, you could get away with ANY color.

Dick

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
Mike,

I chose Sim. 860 blue/green. Its close enough to traditional green, but the bluish tone makes the balls seem to stand out nice. Also chalk marks don't seem to be a problem. Its an older Crown III, and we're just putting the finishing touches on it now. Also had all metal re-plated copper, and new rubber put on. Will update you as to speed, etc. when I get some play time in. With your view, you could get away with ANY color.

Dick

When I was sin Diamonds in Dallas, we had the IPT Blue and it took a little getting used to , but then I really liked it. Like you said Dick, it kind of made the balls stand out more. I know Billy really liked it as well.

Paul8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis 860 Tournament Blue

Greg Sullivan of Diamond Billiards paid Pantone to do a study to see what color is the best background for seeing pool balls against. This is where the idea of Tournament Blue came from. The color of cloth for years was blue green. It has only been forest green for the past 20 years or so. Tradition is what you make it.

According to Masters chalk you do NOT use the same color chalk as cloth. That is why blue chalk was used with green cloth. They recommended lime green for blue cloth. This will not leave dark streaks on the cloth. Dirt shows more on blue, but this is good. It is a constant reminder that the table needs to be cleaned. Dirt deleteriously affects playing pool. So, the table should be cleaned each and every day.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that it comes down to style. From what I have seen of Fast Mike's room (on his web site) the blue would compliment his room. My room was built to look like a pool room so green it is.

Personally I prefer chalk that stands out a little. If you can't see the marks you do not know to clean it. I suspect that I clean my table more often becasue I can see the marks.

I am not positive but in years past when I was on guest on TV shows they preferred a blue shirt for their cameras. I think the blue is easier on the camera. There is a lot of theory on the effects of different colors for setting an emotional tone. That might be worth looking into as the right choice of colors does indeed set an atmosphere.

Last edited:

Kurida

Registered
Blue has many functional advantages over the green. But green looks classy, especially on tables with brown colored rails. Blue looks very modern though. Blue-green for classic traditional style.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
BLUE... by a longshot. :thumbup:

Green may be traditional but Tournament Blue is easier to play on.

I just love taking off my table cover and seeing my Sea of Blue. :wink:

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cardiac kid said:
Simonis 860 HR has been available for years. The HR stands for Humidity Resistant. The local pool room is located in the basement of a strip mall. Standard 860 is way too slow. We tried the 860 HR. Still too slow. Changed two years ago to 760. Seems to work just fine.
Lyn

Very interesting about the humidity... I live very close to the ocean and humidity is a big challenge. Are you saying that 760 is faster in a humid environment because of manufacturing differences? Do tell more!! Maybe I should consider 760... do they have it in blue?