Gus Szamboti ~ 'in the raw'

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
30+ year old Gus Szamboti blanks and ivory scraps.

blanks ivory 1.jpg

blanks 1.jpg

blanks 7.jpg

blanks 6.jpg

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Pictures for posterity

Thanks for posting these pics. It's the best thing I've ever seen on this website. :thumbup:

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Szam forearms

Thank you for posting these treasures!
What are you going to do with them? Someone is going to get a real special piece of history.

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Truly incredible pieces...:thud:

Two of my favorite veneer patterns.

Thanks for sharing,
Chris

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Dick,

Thanks for posting these pictures. They solve the curiosity many of us have on how the veneered points are put together and these were done by one of the masters!

James

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These pictures are just amazing. I would like to know how you got these, I am sure that is a story all on it's own.....

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
I would hope that Barry Szamboti is the only person allowed to touch them with a tool.

Personally I hope they stay just the way they are.

It broke my heart to see one of the last Spain blanks converted a few years back.

Pieces like these have a special place in pool history.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see any posters mentioning his gluing up as squares. Does anyone today do it that way? I know Palmer did their blanks as squares as well. Szamboti made me an 8 point cue and he said he had a lot of trouble making it starting over twice. I was told this be someone who visited his shop that Gus had complained about the cue he had agreed to build for me. Gus never complained to me personaly though. I think the problem was probably because of the way he built his blanks, he had to use a different method to build an 8 pointer.