Hard Times LA Tourney Director

SunkenDrunken

New member
Ok so I drove down to Hard Times in LA cause I was in town since last weekend. I wanted to try and play in the tad cup that is going to be there this weekend. It's an amateur only tourney, and sounded cool. Turns out I can't play cause they said I have to play in it a few times to rank me. That's cool, I get it, no biggie.

BUT. I was there twice already and the girl running the tournament (don't know her name) there is a hard ass, and crazy mean. What the hell? Do any other players have trouble with her? She gets mad when you ask what table you're on, she gets mad when you ask about weight, she gets mad when you even look at her.

That place is supposed to be the best place in CA, and they have some crazy mean girl running it. Why can't they get someone else? I thought she was just being mean to me, but everyone there says that's how she is.

Anyway, I guess this poses the question - how should a tournament director act towards his/her players? Thoughts?
 
Ever thought maybe it was super busy that day? Some tourney's aren't easy to run and Hard Times tourney's aren't as easy to run as everyone thinks. Especially Thursday night handicapped tournament.
 
Handicap tournaments are not easy to run, way too many complaints. I like the way she runs it, with an iron fist.
 
Ok so I drove down to Hard Times in LA cause I was in town since last weekend. I wanted to try and play in the tad cup that is going to be there this weekend. It's an amateur only tourney, and sounded cool. Turns out I can't play cause they said I have to play in it a few times to rank me. That's cool, I get it, no biggie.

BUT. I was there twice already and the girl running the tournament (don't know her name) there is a hard ass, and crazy mean. What the hell? Do any other players have trouble with her? She gets mad when you ask what table you're on, she gets mad when you ask about weight, she gets mad when you even look at her.

That place is supposed to be the best place in CA, and they have some crazy mean girl running it. Why can't they get someone else? I thought she was just being mean to me, but everyone there says that's how she is.

Anyway, I guess this poses the question - how should a tournament director act towards his/her players? Thoughts?

Maybe she just doesn't like drunks.
 
Ok so I drove down to Hard Times in LA cause I was in town since last weekend. I wanted to try and play in the tad cup that is going to be there this weekend. It's an amateur only tourney, and sounded cool. Turns out I can't play cause they said I have to play in it a few times to rank me. That's cool, I get it, no biggie.

BUT. I was there twice already and the girl running the tournament (don't know her name) there is a hard ass, and crazy mean. What the hell? Do any other players have trouble with her? She gets mad when you ask what table you're on, she gets mad when you ask about weight, she gets mad when you even look at her.

That place is supposed to be the best place in CA, and they have some crazy mean girl running it. Why can't they get someone else? I thought she was just being mean to me, but everyone there says that's how she is.

Anyway, I guess this poses the question - how should a tournament director act towards his/her players? Thoughts?

Are you talking about Marie?

http://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/MaRieLLe.79



I hope not. She's an angel - one of my favorite pals over there.

Chris
 
Last edited:
Marie

She runs a tight ship, like she needs to in order to make the trains run on time so to speak. [Wow bad metaphor mix.... anyway.....]
Nothing but a serious lady doing a great job in a great pool hall. Sometimes when you walk into a new to you place, especially one that's been around for a while, you may need to sit down and inhale the atmosphere before you jump to conclusions...sorry you had a bad experience.
 
I hear what you all are saying. I'm not attacking her personally, so stop making it sound that way. I am saying that she is just angry for no reason all the time. I am not the only one who thinks so. While sitting in the bleachers a few times during Thursday and once on a Sunday, I asked people around me, and they all agree that she's a good person, but takes the job the wrong way. It's supposed to be fun, not stressful. Just because you're frustrated w players doesn't mean you should take it out on everyone. We all hate our job, but we don't show it 100%. And it isn't even a job! It's a fun thing to do! Why do it if you don't like it???? That is all.
 
I hear what you all are saying. I'm not attacking her personally, so stop making it sound that way. I am saying that she is just angry for no reason all the time. I am not the only one who thinks so. While sitting in the bleachers a few times during Thursday and once on a Sunday, I asked people around me, and they all agree that she's a good person, but takes the job the wrong way. It's supposed to be fun, not stressful. Just because you're frustrated w players doesn't mean you should take it out on everyone. We all hate our job, but we don't show it 100%. And it isn't even a job! It's a fun thing to do! Why do it if you don't like it???? That is all.

Actually it is a Job that you get paid to do. While I agree with some of what you say, Marie is a friend of mine and a great person.
And she loves what she does.
 
Actually it is a Job that you get paid to do. While I agree with some of what you say, Marie is a friend of mine and a great person.
And she loves what she does.

That's my point. Everyone here is defending her because they know her personally. Is there anyone who doesn't know her that has an opinion of what a tourney director should be and how they should act towards their players? Someone who isn't biased?
 
Ok so I drove down to Hard Times in LA cause I was in town since last weekend. I wanted to try and play in the tad cup that is going to be there this weekend. It's an amateur only tourney, and sounded cool. Turns out I can't play cause they said I have to play in it a few times to rank me. That's cool, I get it, no biggie.

BUT. I was there twice already and the girl running the tournament (don't know her name) there is a hard ass, and crazy mean. What the hell? Do any other players have trouble with her? She gets mad when you ask what table you're on, she gets mad when you ask about weight, she gets mad when you even look at her.

That place is supposed to be the best place in CA, and they have some crazy mean girl running it. Why can't they get someone else? I thought she was just being mean to me, but everyone there says that's how she is.

Anyway, I guess this poses the question - how should a tournament director act towards his/her players? Thoughts?

Couldn't bite my tongue on this one, my apologies to the forum in advance.

Drunk-

Looks to me like you are just a bitter coward. The tourney rules have been posted everywhere for months. Can you read? You were there twice before, did you play to get rated? Did you look at the tourney flyers? No? Hmm. ooh I get it, you are one of those special players that rules don't apply to. Am I attacking you personally on a public forum like you just did to Marie? Yes.

To correct you. Hard Times is a great pool hall with a very rich history. I have witnessed many epic matches there over the years and have met legendary players. Boston Shorty, Bankin' Bob, Earthquake, The Magician, heard of any of them? Google it. Do everyone a favor and don't drive down again.

Ok i'm off the pedestal. To all of the great folks here on AZ have a great weekend!
 
Pony up the cash and then play and not say a word... Thats my advice on this and hope it helps.
 
SunkenDrunken:
I am sorry that you didn't have the experience you were looking for when you came down to the tourney. I understand that you were not attacking the director by any means, and that you were just stating the obvious. I am friends with the director and yes there has been many issues regarding her antics towards people. There is definitely a stressful mist in the air when she is running the handicapped tourney versus the 1st Sunday of the Month or any Sunday at that. There are a lot of complaints on the Handicapped tournament ( understandable) due to the weight system, while on Sunday, everyone plays even. Sundays tend to run more smoother. The tournament director's job is to ensure the tournament runs as smooth and efficient as possible. That's it! You were correct in stating that everyone hates their job but they don't show it 100% of the time. That's just being professional. Unfortunately, not everone knows how to conduct themselves in a professional manner. Unfortunately as well, there are people who may encounter huge stresses in their lives and are not able to "check it at the door" before they settle down to business, that's just the way it is. Advice to all, if this is something that is occurring with you, professionally, personally or recreationally, say something to avoid things like this. Don't put up with it. It only hurts you in the long run. By the way, This game was meant for enjoyment, keep it that way. This is a beautiful game.
 
Tourney director is a tough job.

For some reason (not saying this applies to the OP) peeps will walk in to a pool room for the first time and try to get under the TD's skin.I have seen it,had it happen to me and to a good friend of mine who runs tournaments.I know its the M.O. of some pool players to try to pester and annoy all the other players they can,but the TD?How about the guy who is always late for his match in the weekly tourneys?You have to go outside and find them.Other players will complain about everything.

If a player doesn't like the TD they will start rumors and make up wild stories about him/her.Lets face it some fellas just do not respect women in any kind of role of authority.IMO female TD's are more likely to have their competence questioned.

This could be why some Tournament directors seam to be on edge.
 
That's my point. Everyone here is defending her because they know her personally. Is there anyone who doesn't know her that has an opinion of what a tourney director should be and how they should act towards their players? Someone who isn't biased?

Its simple. You don't know her and you're confusing her snarky attitude (which she does to be relatively playful) as literally condescending and impatient.

Do you have a difficult time reading people, in general?

If you'd like to know what an asshole is like - deal with me in when I'm in a crappy mood. :) You just mis-read her. Nothing to post about... and if your a dude, I suggest you change your panties. :) It's nothing to get your feelers hurt about. Worse things happen to better people, all the time.
 
She's obviously a person who blows hot and cold...do you want that in a T.D.? Every TD I've come in contact with has been up to the task. That includes being tolerant of those of us who have difficulty hearing table assignments in a noisy room.
 
Back
Top