How about this idea to prevent pattern racking in 9 ball and 10 ball

Good idea or bad idea?

• Good idea. Pattern racking is a form of cheating.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Bad idea. I like cheating.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Good idea but voting in favor would only encourage Al to come up with more of these worthless polls.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • What if you're on the North Pole with no internet connection?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are random number generators which can generate numbers between a certain range without repeating a number. For nine ball generate number from 2 to 7 or for 10 ball 2 to 8. First 2 numbers get racked behind the 1. 3rd and 4th numbers get racked on either side of the nine. 5th and 6th get racked behind the 9. 7th and final number gets racked at the bottom of the stack. Every rack you click the button in the iPhone and get a new set of numbers.

All you would need is an iPhone with the correct app.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Paul Schofield has a recipe that he uses in his tournaments. It works for him. It doesn't require and apparatus or paper.

Scrunge19

Registered
Paul Schofield has a recipe that he uses in his tournaments. It works for him. It doesn't require and apparatus or paper.
I was going to bring this up as well. The only issue I can see adopting this is many of the tournaments use magic racks instead of wooden racks. Obviously can’t spin the balls inside of a magic rack to make them random.

Players should just push all of the balls against the end rail without looking. Then, put the one ball on the spot and take the left most ball on the rail and put it behind the one. Repeat from left to right on the rail and in the rack, with the 9 obviously going where it needs to

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I was going to bring this up as well. The only issue I can see adopting this is many of the tournaments use magic racks instead of wooden racks. Obviously can’t spin the balls inside of a magic rack to make them random.

Players should just push all of the balls against the end rail without looking. Then, put the one ball on the spot and take the left most ball on the rail and put it behind the one. Repeat from left to right on the rail and in the rack, with the 9 obviously going where it needs to
Guaranteed you're going to find a pool player who can "three card Monte" the balls doing that to wind up with a pattern lol. Reminds of a Grady quote (I'm paraphrasing): "Pool players have all sorts of talent that would be lucrative if applied in any other fashion."

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, but to keep it fair, the random rack that I get for my first break should be the one you must use when you hit your first break, and so on for the second break and all subsequent ones. Otherwise, players will say they lost a match because the random rack generator was kinder to their opponent than it was to them. I don't think we want to add "the computer beat me" to the pool vernacular.

Thankfully, rack your own is becoming less and less common in the biggest matches at the most prestigious events, so I think that pattern racking is less of a problem that it was five to ten years ago.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Thankfully, rack your own is becoming less and less common in the biggest matches at the most prestigious events, so I think that pattern racking is less of a problem that it was five to ten years ago.
Aren't there ways to pattern rack that disadvantage the breaker?

pj
chgo

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
You guys are missing a very simple solution!

Get a pill pool bottle and put the 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 in the bottle! Shake and what ever two comes out first goes next to the 1 ball !

The next two go next to the 9!

The next two after the 9 ball!

The last number out of the bottle goes last and it cost"zero" to do and easy with no arguments....

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m not a fan of rack your own.

First preference....third party racker

Second preference...rack for your opponent...pattern rack all you want...after all, placing the 1-ball and 9-ball is the start of a pattern......they can check.

I’ve given as much as the 5-6-7-8 and the break for reasonably serious money...I was pattern racking those money balls as safe as I could get them.

Seems to me that rack your own has caused more problems than it solved.

I’m also not comfortable with being instructed to rack randomly....we’re human beings..how do you do that?

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't those solutions, like the pill pool bottle, take too long? I rarely see someone match up racking with a template. We usually rack your own with a wooden rack. So, add in the time getting the balls tight. Sounds slow.

What is Paul Schofields' recipe?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Didn't realize there was a problem with pattern racking...lol. I bet next someone will say some pool players have a tendency to be dishonest as well....

Honestly..., I have yet to reach a level wherein I can count on a neutral racker for any event I may be in. I general opt for rack your own and negate the potential win off the break in the case of 9 ball with a gentleman's agreement. Only once have I done this with an 'unknown' player and had a ball get obviously wired. Saying something once has always prevented a repeat performance.

I rather let the guy rack his own and check his efforts than rack for him and have something go bad and have him deal with a gaff at my doing.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've said "app" many times:

straightline said:
The outcome of the break, however regular, is still hit or miss. If the break is such a controversy (guys who can break vs pussies ((kidding))) then once again, use a phone app that randomizes the balls and develop rules to address the anomalies (like allowing them).
As for must push, why not no push? Player must make legal contact
Nothing wrong with variations on the same ole thing.