How do i get out of this slump!?!

Chris Salinas99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys im new to AZ but i really want to ask some of you guys that have been in the game for many years. Im 27 and have been playing for 6 years. I've had my ups and downs but for some reason more now then ever have i been messing up. Players that have no business beating me are slipping though my hands. I'm not making money in the weekly tournaments. Im hooking myself by the smallest pease of a ball! I'm just not loving the game as much as i should. Help me out guys. Should I take a break ? Should i play through it? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thx
 
People will give you all sorts of answers, but the real solution is getting your set up & delivery process checked out by a qualified instructor. You have the best in the country in your backyard. Go see Randy Goettlicher in Dallas. He posts here as randyg.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge..com
 
A little time off never hurt anyone. Your just in a rut. Happens to all of us. Take some time off and maybe the hunger will return. Everything is cyclical.
 
If its important to you get a good instructor. If it's not important, you would not of made this post.
 
People will give you all sorts of answers, but the real solution is getting your set up & delivery process checked out by a qualified instructor. You have the best in the country in your backyard. Go see Randy Goettlicher in Dallas. He posts here as randyg.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge..com

This is a must do for anyone trying to improve. Learn from the best Stroke Instructors to get your needed confidence. You will be playing pool for the rest of your life. Learn good habits now and watch yourself grow. You will not get better on your own or by taking a break.
 
Hey guys im new to AZ but i really want to ask some of you guys that have been in the game for many years. Im 27 and have been playing for 6 years. I've had my ups and downs but for some reason more now then ever have i been messing up. Players that have no business beating me are slipping though my hands. I'm not making money in the weekly tournaments. Im hooking myself by the smallest pease of a ball! I'm just not loving the game as much as i should. Help me out guys. Should I take a break ? Should i play through it? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thx

I'm not advocating against an instructor, if you have the means and want to go that route I'm sure it'd be a great solution.

However, if you'd like to try some things (that work for me) for free first...
1. Video yourself and you'll likely find something wrong in your stance/stroke/etc.
2. When practicing, over-emphasize your PSR.
3. When playing position (no matter how little the position matters) pick an exact spot, not area, EXACT spot.
4. I've never been an extended break guy but many people advocate that as well.
5. If available, try new scenery. I find when I'm playing at the same place vs same people I can get comfortable and lazy. Which, for me, doesn't promote good pool playing. I'll drive an hour or so and go to a place where I don't know anybody and play some.

Best of luck to you.
 
People will give you all sorts of answers, but the real solution is getting your set up & delivery process checked out by a qualified instructor. You have the best in the country in your backyard. Go see Randy Goettlicher in Dallas. He posts here as randyg.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge..com



+1

This will give you a good refresher even if its a couple relatively short lessons. These guys will give you tools to keep your mechanics in check as well.
 
You can do any or all of the above. Those are some good suggestions.

All I will say is keep playing. Learn to accept the good with the bad and just push through it. If the game was always easy it would get dull and boring -- like a video game that has been mastered. What would be the point of playing anymore?

I wrote this little post a while back and it may resonate with you....or maybe not.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3957749

Basically, learn to enjoy the journey and you won't get so frustrated. Simply eliminating the frustration can actually make it easier to improve. I think it frees up your mind or something....probably the something part.
 
Thanks jojo. Numbers 2 3 and 5 really got the gears grinding in my head! Thx

Number 1 was my biggest help 20+yrs ago. with the phones now this will be the easiest thing to do.
also, if a longer PSR doesn't work, just try firing/freewheeling at balls for awhile, it might just "loosen" you up enough for you to fall back in stroke.
GL
Jason
 
This is a must do for anyone trying to improve. Learn from the best Stroke Instructors to get your needed confidence. You will be playing pool for the rest of your life. Learn good habits now and watch yourself grow. You will not get better on your own or by taking a break.

Of course one could get better by getting knowledge from wherever and putting it into practice. Plenty of written articles and much free streaming. Of course if one is dense then a Doctor and Nurse would help. If ya want to be good it takes more than one outing per week. I practice 5 days per week about an hour per and contest 2. I am good but do lose some. Say out of 10 losses 2 would be my fault. The others breaks of game or better players. This is a simple game, it isn't golf. After watching tons of streaming matches I'm still only just as good but now much more confident because the table is no longer a puzzle.
 
Is it warm in Texas now? Get outside in the fresh air and exercise...jog or shoot some hoops, or play some tennis or golf. Burn off your nervous energy doing something physical. Then play pool for what it is...a game, and you'll play better.
 
Relax, quit worrying about it, and just play pool.
Your only problem is that you have plateaued. In time you will play yourself off that plateau and all will be right as rain.
All of the very best players I've ever know have had no time with an "instructor". They learned from watching, asking, and doing. Lot's of doing. :)
 
no combination like curiosity, creativity, and tableosity

Relax, quit worrying about it, and just play pool.
Your only problem is that you have plateaued. In time you will play yourself off that plateau and all will be right as rain.
All of the very best players I've ever know have had no time with an "instructor". They learned from watching, asking, and doing. Lot's of doing. :)

Wise words my friend.

To reach full potential there's no combination like curiosity, creativity, and tableosity. ;)
 
Relax, quit worrying about it, and just play pool.
Your only problem is that you have plateaued. In time you will play yourself off that plateau and all will be right as rain.
All of the very best players I've ever know have had no time with an "instructor". They learned from watching, asking, and doing. Lot's of doing. :)

What he said :thumbup:
 
I'm not making money in the weekly tournaments. Im hooking myself by the smallest pease of a ball! I'm just not loving the game as much as i should. Help me out guys. Should I take a break ? Should i play through it? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thx
How do you practice and how many hours per week?
 
Back
Top