How Do the top Filipino players aim?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
How do the most of the top Filipino players aim their shots? Do they use the ghost-ball method or a point on the OB? Or is it a National secret?:smile: Johnnyt

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what i have seen: many look more at cueball on SOME shots than in US and EURo

i believe: full ball,3/4,1/2,1/4,1/8 and slice, rest is judgement of swerve

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do the most of the top Filipino players aim their shots? Do they use the ghost-ball method or a point on the OB? Or is it a National secret?:smile: Johnnyt

Aiming at a point on the object ball can only work for special situations, a ball straight in with no english is one.

Ghost ball aiming is the only thing that works:

Using english you can aim for a bad stroke or a good stroke, they aim for good strokes.:D

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I have been fortunate enough to play with a very good Filipino player and was taught their secret. When they are young, an aspiring pool player must befriend a shaman of the Batak tribe. These shaman carry a staff that is the exact height to allow the player to aim the shot accurately. You don't notice it on ESPN but this shaman is constantly mirroring the player providing guidance to his shots.

If misued the shaman tends to get upset and cuts your head off. There is more than one reported incident of the city folk trying to use a shaman for aiming in bowling and skeet shooting.

Please don't tell anyone where you got this information.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Johnnyt:

I have only worked with two Filipino gentleman. They both aimed with their cue stick at the object ball. Fractional aiming I believe.

All aiming methods are the same result. There are several that really work well, depends on how you see aiming.....SPF=randyg

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnnyt:

I have only worked with two Filipino gentleman. They both aimed with their cue stick at the object ball. Fractional aiming I believe.

All aiming methods are the same result. There are several that really work well, depends on how you see aiming.....SPF=randyg

Thank you Randy. Johnnyt

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Aiming at a point on the object ball can only work for special situations, a ball straight in with no english is one.

This is not entirely true. There is a extremely good aiming system that has aim points not contact points.

Ghost ball aiming is the only thing that works:

THis is only the end results of all aiming systems. There are several systems that work.

Using english you can aim for a bad stroke or a good stroke, they aim for good strokes.:D

Thanks unknownpro....SPF=randyg

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been fortunate enough to play with a very good Filipino player and was taught their secret. When they are young, an aspiring pool player must befriend a shaman of the Batak tribe. These shaman carry a staff that is the exact height to allow the player to aim the shot accurately. You don't notice it on ESPN but this shaman is constantly mirroring the player providing guidance to his shots.

If misued the shaman tends to get upset and cuts your head off. There is more than one reported incident of the city folk trying to use a shaman for aiming in bowling and skeet shooting.

Please don't tell anyone where you got this information.

I have a few of those staffs for sale if anybody is interested.

DrMikeUSN

Banned
Systems

Systems for aiming set a good amateur apart from a pro. I don't think they go off from feel at all. There is a systems behind their aiming, so they can play the position that they do. Anyone who thinks they aim on feel alone is just dead wrong.

I used to aim off from feel, and I missed shots! Then I had a TOP pro teach me how to aim properly now I am making shots that I used to miss becuase now I know how to aim properly.

Litterly he spent 2 mins teaching it, and 15 mins laughing at me beucase I could not miss a ball!

Systems set pros apart from good amatures.

Last edited:

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
Its always amazed me on the Filipino players on how they aim .

But you have to think of this every filipino player I've seen has there own aiming system .

Look at Bustamate most of his shots you would swear he's aiming where you think but he does something way different . Efren is more perdicable with his shots .

I myself would love to learn the aiming system of the Filipinos just to get an Idea of how they process there aiming in there head .

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a quote from my DAM system write-up:

I think good shooters use all visual information available to them to help see the required angle of the shot and the necessary line of aim. They might use any or all of: ghost-ball visualization, ball-to-ball contact-point visualization, impact-line (or "target line" or "line of centers") visualization, center-to-edge (CTE) 1/2-ball-hit line visualization, etc. Regardless, a good shooter doesn't need a mechanical "system" to do this, IMO.

You also might find this article interesting:

Regards,
Dave

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People should listen to Efren. He's very humble and tells the way it is.

Efron said it very simply when asked a question. There are 2 ways to aim. Through the center and with the edge. I never heard this before I came up with Perfect Aim. I read this when 2 people were arguing about who they would rather learn to aim from. One person said this certified teacher said it was one way with one of the aiming systems out there that nobody hardly understands and the other person said that they tended to think Efron knew what he was talking about more because obviously he can play and he know's what works. Who do you think would know more? Daaaa............

After that you can use fractional aiming or you can shoot with feel. By getting the eyes in the perfect position either way will work for you. If the eyes are not in the perfect position hardly nothing seems to work right.

If you shoot 7 days a week 8 hours a day your eyes will somewhat get in the perfect position. Eventually you can get there naturally with repetition. Any pro that plays good lives on the table for a week before the big tournament. Some live on it all the time. Or you can learn or be taught how to get the eyes in the correct position so you really have something to zero in on instead of guessing on so many shots.

Now you can actually work on the other parts of the game and be practicing aiming all the time because you know how to get there. But if you can't aim the shot perfect how can you put any english on the ball and shoot it.

Efron is right. This is what makes Perfect Aim work. All that's left is to know how to position the eyes. It's simple and easy after that.

Have a great day. Geno..............

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Here's a quote from my DAM system write-up:

I think good shooters use all visual information available to them to help see the required angle of the shot and the necessary line of aim. They might use any or all of: ghost-ball visualization, ball-to-ball contact-point visualization, impact-line (or "target line" or "line of centers") visualization, center-to-edge (CTE) 1/2-ball-hit line visualization, etc. Regardless, a good shooter doesn't need a mechanical "system" to do this, IMO.

You also might find this article interesting:

Regards,
Dave

Very cool artical. So I got out of that=everyone aims a little different at the plo level. TY Dave. Johnnyt

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Aiming..... just like kicking and banking is based in systems, but none of the systems will ever work 100% of the time. Probably not even a good percentage of the time actually.

I do not believe in them whatsoever, but I know the majority of them solely for the purpose of teaching them to beginners so they can grasp what is "supposed" to happen. As they gain knowledge and hone their skills, these beginners will eventually resort to the most effective tool they will ever have: feel.

I really don't want to be in a debate on why aiming systems do not work, but I want people to get better at pool and I think relying on systems will cause them to plateau swiftly.

In a nutshell, there are too many variables to calculate for any system to work. As soon as someone starts telling you about an aiming or banking system, then says, "now you have to adjust...", it will immediately tell you it doesn't work. Systems will give you a starting point if you are lost, but with time, you will not rely on them ever.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

If you ever have time give Hal Houle a call. He believes Reyes and Busty use CTE.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100%

Aiming..... just like kicking and banking is based in systems, but none of the systems will ever work 100% of the time. Probably not even a good percentage of the time actually.

I do not believe in them whatsoever, but I know the majority of them solely for the purpose of teaching them to beginners so they can grasp what is "supposed" to happen. As they gain knowledge and hone their skills, these beginners will eventually resort to the most effective tool they will ever have: feel.

I really don't want to be in a debate on why aiming systems do not work, but I want people to get better at pool and I think relying on systems will cause them to plateau swiftly.

In a nutshell, there are too many variables to calculate for any system to work. As soon as someone starts telling you about an aiming or banking system, then says, "now you have to adjust...", it will immediately tell you it doesn't work. Systems will give you a starting point if you are lost, but with time, you will not rely on them ever.

Your 100% right. The reason these systems don't work all the time is they are trying to help you get your eyes in the right position by doing too much stuff.
Let's twist the wrist,turn the head,drift to the right or left and fire.

Just learn how to position the eyes properly. If you can't see it you can't make it. On the days when a person is making everything they are accidently getting the eyes in a more perfect position. Some shots you miss all the time because the eyes are very seldom in the right spot.

Fractional aiming is a good example. If you don't have the eyes in the right position how can you see how much of the ball you are hitting. But until someone shows you exactly where the eyes need to be you won't even know how far off target you are. All you know is that you missed that shot alot of the time.

Have a great day Geno... This IS a great thread....................