How do you run these?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually from a 1pkt game but stranger layouts occur in 14.1 so I thought let the 14.1ers have some fun.
You have ball in hand. 5,6, 2 all go in either bottom pocket. The 5 to the side is a razor thin backup

received_428005572712544.jpeg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the 3 go's in the corner that's my first shot and maybe send the cue ball into the upper part of the stack,hitting the bottom of the stack probably will put the cue ball on the bottom rail with no next.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d shoot the one first, since that is likely the easiest/surest shot. Then maybe use the 6 to get closer to the combo.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the 3 go's in the corner that's my first shot and maybe send the cue ball into the upper part of the stack,hitting the bottom of the stack probably will put the cue ball on the bottom rail with no next.

I’m not much of a 14.1 player, but that was exactly my thought…

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d shoot the one first, since that is likely the easiest/surest shot. Then maybe use the 6 to get closer to the combo.
With the 4 frozen to the rail and the 3 off the rail makes the combo a little tough. You would have to shoot the 4 into the rail and hope the rebound makes the 3,an easy one to miss.
I would still shoot the 3 first and go from there.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is easier to play the 1 first getting position on the 3. Play the 3 and draw into the middle of the stack.

I believe that is easier then shooting the 3 to go to the 1.

Maybe shoot the 6 in either corner pocket as a stop shot then decide on the 3 or 1.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is easier to play the 1 first getting position on the 3. Play the 3 and draw into the middle of the stack.

I believe that is easier then shooting the 3 to go to the 1.

Maybe shoot the 6 in either corner pocket as a stop shot then decide on the 3 or 1.
I’m using my ball in hand advantage to give myself the best opportunity to bust up the stack with a good leave…

Why give up guaranteed perfect shape on the three, in the hope of getting perfect shape on the three…

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I like Measureman's thought about the 3 but, the 1 appears to be in the same position
on the opposite rail. Being Right handed it's a ton simpler to shoot the 1 and the 4 ain't
choking the pathway either. A good break-out would be only 3 or 4 balls and the 2 and
5 & 6 are good insurance balls.
Like most things, it's only my opinion and doesn't mean a dam thing to anyone but me.
chucklin'

hank

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m using my ball in hand advantage to give myself the best opportunity to bust up the stack with a good leave…

Why give up guaranteed perfect shape on the three, in the hope of getting perfect shape on the three…
I would rather shoot from within 2' then 5 ' if I am playing the 3 and trying to break the stack.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Went over to 1P.org and saw this. For the 1-P version "Your" pocket is upper Right (next to the 1).
So, if that helps (?), ...

hank

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question was how would you run these if it was 14.1 and you had ball in hand.
measureman, Howdy;

yup, I was just pointing out that it was on BOTH forums and that there may be a difference
as to how it might be approached is all. My suggestion is up the page at #9.

hank

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Five in the corner onto the three and break the stack with the three. As Measureman stresses, the three is the ball that needs to be addressed as early as possible.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Five in the corner onto the three and break the stack with the three. As Measureman stresses, the three is the ball that needs to be addressed as early as possible.
Nothing like an early sell-out to really get the game moving (both corner pockets slightly obscured). I’ll stay with 1-6-3.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nothing like an early sell-out to really get the game moving (both corner pockets slightly obscured). I’ll stay with 1-6-3.
If so, I couldn't tell from the picture. Looks to me like a full pocket on the five in the corner past the three. That said, if not, I like your pattern here for sure.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a ‘full pocket’ to me also (both corners). Problem is, the usual safety margin of cheating the pocket off the side rail is blocked on both. Aiming for the end rail side of the pocket (to insure contact with the 3 or 1 is avoided) typically results in a ‘bobble’ (in my case).

Reactions: sjm

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I want to bank the 4 into the stack and carom the CB into the 3.
(Probably after running off the 2 and 6, and leaving the long 5 as insurance.)

This is probably wrong, overcomplicated, and an unnecessary risk. But the heart wants what the heart wants.😐

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This is actually from a 1pkt game but stranger layouts occur in 14.1 so I thought let the 14.1ers have some fun.
You have ball in hand. 5,6, 2 all go in either bottom pocket. The 5 to the side is a razor thin backup

View attachment 654554
BIH....From the Kitchen...Shoot the 1 ball with an 11 o'clock high cueing. Come 2 rails into the 5/9 at speed, impossible to get hooked and opening up those clustered balls, creates Many more options to continue your run.