How good is/was Scotty Townsend?

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was thinking as I read all this, that I have known Scotty for a good 25 years now. The more I think on it, it has to be 30 minimum. After all this time, all the stories, andwhat he has done, he remains one of my favorite pool players. I swaear ifhe walked over to me and told me his mother just died I would probably crack up laughing. Everytime Iseehim my mood chnges and Ifeel good that he is there. his sense of humor can at times be a little dry, and often you have to think a little bit about what he said.

A few years ao I watched hm win the tournament down in Pt Arthur Tx and so drunk I was surprised hecould walk, but he didn't miss a ball. The field just to let you know houw tough it was, with oly 38 players, there $39000 in the calcutta!

i absolutely love Scotty, and a freat player? Of course he was! Outrageous at times, Of course he was. But, Scotty could be the most stubborn SOB who ever picked up a cue. He made some bad games, but once down and convinced he could win, he wascapable of going off for all he had, all his friends had, all his stake horse had or until the building was busted out! Once that happened,he was still looking for money.

I guess he sumed it up pretty well himself, "I have never been beaten, I just ran out of money a few times!"

Scotty ain't what he once was. It is a fact and trust he is well aware of it. However if you don't know hime, Iwould be very, very careful and tactful about pointing this out.

one other little ote? I have been known years ago to get into a few skirmishes and didn't do a lot to avoid them which I am not bragging aabout, that was just me, but once asked if I needed backup, who would I choose, and each timeand now, without hestation, it would be Scotty. he is a fun guy and doesn't start much, but the man won't back down from HELL!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calvin is from Arkansas, lives in Texarkana,Ar./Tx., is left handed and was in Kansas installing lights at Air Ports, that what he does now, travels around the USA doing that job.

David Harcrow

yhour brother is another they could write books about. Calvin and Scotty were cut from somilar molds! And I mean this with all due respect.

i can't remember who it was he was playing up in Camden Arkansas way back when, but Calvin was giving up the world and drilling this poor sapp. Calvin eyes lookedlike coffee cups and at about 9 in the orning, with the other guy shooting, calvin was on the floor doing push ups. They near threw me out as I was alaughing so hard. My kind of guy!!

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member
The only shot I remember from the 6 pack. It was a doozie:

CueTable Help

Scotty taught me that shot. You put high left and it hits that first rail and then it is just like a three rail kick. He used to come to tournaments in NO about two years ago.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
In my humble opinion, he is the most entertaining guy in all of pool. Hell, in the history of pool. Minnesota Fats?! PSSSH. That fat ass wasn't jumping off any bridge ever for $$$....let alone dragging alligators out of swamps, throwing them in his car and then selling them to farmers to put himself back in action.

If they made a movie about him, it'd be the best pool movie ever.

Dave

(I'll never forget seeing him sleep IN a tree, up high on a branch, out like a light. Not 10' up, but way up....out....snoring...zzzzzz...on a motherFU$&ING BRANCH).

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Scotty taught me that shot. You put high left and it hits that first rail and then it is just like a three rail kick. He used to come to tournaments in NO about two years ago.

Scotty was at one of Casey's tournaments a month or so ago.
Here's another shot that Scotty showed me about 12 years ago. But it took me several years before I finally "got it". Now, it's easy as pie and I can't wait for it to come up in a game. :D

CueTable Help

The facts are, Scotty is probably the most entertaining pool player you will ever meet and is what you would have to call a man's man and a friend to most anyone who would be his friend.

HOWEVER, If you want to poke the tiger, let's just say that you've been warned. LOL

JoeyA

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA...That's a great shot, and one of the standard power draw trick shots (in the trick shot version there is an obstacle ball on the rail, on the other side of the side pocket, that the CB has to curve around, to come downtable). Massey shoots it better than anybody.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Here's another shot that Scotty showed me about 12 years ago. But it took me several years before I finally "got it". Now, it's easy as pie and I can't wait for it to come up in a game. :D

CueTable Help

The facts are, Scotty is probably the most entertaining pool player you will ever meet and is what you would have to call a man's man and a friend to most anyone who would be his friend.

HOWEVER, If you want to poke the tiger, let's just say that you've been warned. LOL

JoeyA

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Scotty was and is a bad dude,nobody wants to pull scotty in a tourny ,I also enjoy talking to scotty when I can

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had the pleasure of watching Scotty play 2 times live. Both times when he matched up, I didn't think that he could get there but he did. The first time I watched him play, he matched up with George Brunt at Shooters in Olathe, KS. It was even on a 9 ft table. George was a monster and Scotty broke even with him. The second time was when Scotty beat Warren Kiamco at the Ring ring game playing even on the bar table. Great talent!

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

JoeyA

Damn Joey...you're a patient man...been waiting 12 years to shoot one shot...lol:grin:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I didn't actually see the alligator in the trunk at The Rack (just heard some guys joking bout it,he confirmed it),but saw every single thing he did in the building when he came. Huge stroke,even bigger heart.

Something that no one has mentioned yet is the fact that he can probably stay awake longer without man-made assistance than anyone I've ever met,even with his inhuman beer intake. I got to The Rack one year on Friday night,and other than a quick trip to shower and change clothes,he was in the building for 3 days straight.

During a 2 day stretch in the ring game up front,he told me he drank 70 beers at that point,the 8 rack run was during this stretch. I have NO reason to doubt the man.

Just jokingly,I asked him what kind of weight I'd need. He told me with conviction he would give me the 7,but I had to drink a beer every time he did,and spot me a CASE AND A HALF :eek: there too. Tommy D.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watched scotty play pinnegar several times even and scotty won more than he lost. that puts him in pretty good company on the gambling scene

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty is a monster player

:thumbup: I'm too lazy to start typing Scotty's accomplishments and funny stories but their are a ton of them, many that I witnessed. He has my utmost respect both as a player and a great human being. :D :wink: :D

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Scotty the first time in the 70's at i think the place was called guys and dolls in La. I was always running into Scotty throughout the 70's 80's and early 90's.We all played on the Baxter tour also with Calvin,Kellum,and Scotty as regulars. He beat me in the finals three times,once so drunk he couldn't walk straight and never missed a ball. As far as Calvin being a favorite against Scotty,never in my life time,thats my opinion. On another note i played Calvin a 2,000 set many many yrs ago,i had him 7 to 3 racing to 9 and never got out of my chair again. I would rate Scotty in his prime around Henny's speed now on the barbox,just my opinion. There will always be only one Scotty!

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup: I'm too lazy to start typing Scotty's accomplishments and funny stories but their are a ton of them, many that I witnessed. He has my utmost respect both as a player and a great human being. :D :wink: :D

Everybody loves scotty!!!He is the darling of the south.:cool:

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
In Memphis a few years back, Scotty called me and friend outside to show us his trunk and the remnants of an alligator he had just wrestled and killed before he came up for the tournament.

:grin: Scotty was/is a great story teller and one of the best bar table players in the South. A quick story that Scotty told me about an alligator. So he has had a quite a few Jack Daniels and Cokes and it is late. He is telling stories to a few of us at the bar. He says that he was coming over for the tournament and was crossing Mobile Bay on I-10 late at night when he saw a gator in the road. He slammed on brakes, got out and dove on it. He then threw it in the trunk of his car. He said he stopped and crashed for the night in Mississippi at a hotel. When he woke up the next morning he looked at his knees and elbows. They were all scratched up and his clothes were torn. Then, he remembered the gator in his trunk. He said that he drove down the road and pulled off to the side where he could release it. He goes around to the back of the trunk and is ready to pounce on the gator. He slowly opens the trunk when he sees that the "gator" he wrestled while drunk the night before is actually a large piece of tread from an 18-wheeler tire. I almost fell off of the bar stool when he told that tall tale. :thumbup:

Another one...he told me that he once won a prop bet by walking on water. I asked him how in the hell did he do that? He said he tied large pieces of styrofoam to his cowboy boots and walked right across a canal. :eek: LoL!

One more...and I will stop. I saw/heard this one with my own eyes and ears. He has just beaten Marcus Chamat in a tournament match. They were jawing back and forth the whole time. After Scotty beat him he looks over at Marcus and says, "I roasted your ass didn't I you little sweedish meatball you". :D

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:grin: Scotty was/is a great story teller and one of the best bar table players in the South. A quick story that Scotty told me about an alligator. So he has had a quite a few Jack Daniels and Cokes and it is late. He is telling stories to a few of us at the bar. He says that he was coming over for the tournament and was crossing Mobile Bay on I-10 late at night when he saw a gator in the road. He slammed on brakes, got out and dove on it. He then threw it in the trunk of his car. He said he stopped and crashed for the night in Mississippi at a hotel. When he woke up the next morning he looked at his knees and elbows. They were all scratched up and his clothes were torn. Then, he remembered the gator in his trunk. He said that he drove down the road and pulled off to the side where he could release it. He goes around to the back of the trunk and is ready to pounce on the gator. He slowly opens the trunk when he sees that the "gator" he wrestled while drunk the night before is actually a large piece of tread from an 18-wheeler tire. I almost fell off of the bar stool when he told that tall tale. :thumbup:

Another one...he told me that he once won a prop bet by walking on water. I asked him how in the hell did he do that? He said he tied large pieces of styrofoam to his cowboy boots and walked right across a canal. :eek: LoL!

One more...and I will stop. I saw/heard this one with my own eyes and ears. He has just beaten Marcus Chamat in a tournament match. They were jawing back and forth the whole time. After Scotty beat him he looks over at Marcus and says, "I roasted your ass didn't I you little sweedish meatball you". :D
Actually I think Scotty almost drowned on the styrofoam stunt( happens if your feet float higher than your ass), almost drowned trying to walk across the bottom with bricks tied to his feet and using a garden hose, but how many people would have tried it in the 1st place? If you know him, you got to love him.:love:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Back when I was living in Oklahoma, when the Tulsa BIlliards Palace was still around, Old man John Lepartice (who knew the speed of everyone on the planet lol) told me that back in the 80's Scotty came through Tulsa and beat the army by his lonesome...one of only a handful of players to ever do something like that.

For as many great players that live in that area and especially back in the 80's thats one hell of an accomplishment....b/c the high geared players are thick like roaches.

Scotty is one of a kind, hell of a pool player since forever and a great guy to boot.

must've used raid to beat them back!
Grey Ghost

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Old Times

yhour brother is another they could write books about. Calvin and Scotty were cut from somilar molds! And I mean this with all due respect.

i can't remember who it was he was playing up in Camden Arkansas way back when, but Calvin was giving up the world and drilling this poor sapp. Calvin eyes lookedlike coffee cups and at about 9 in the orning, with the other guy shooting, calvin was on the floor doing push ups. They near threw me out as I was alaughing so hard. My kind of guy!!

Yeah I remember back in about 1980, Calvin,Scotty,Charlie Owens, Steve Gumphrey, & me, roommated together in Longview,Tx. at this motel called the TallyHoe, for over 6 months, the room we were staying in had three beds, stove,& freg., we pretty much took shifts sleeping, but that was rare because we was always down in a game.

The motel had a club in it and Action!, man what you talking about!, me and Scotty was just really coming into our own, you know, being 20 yrs., Calvin was the veteran of the crew at 30 yrs.

Joey Barns had just started playing , he lived there in Longview, and Jerald Jackson (TopWater) along with Jimmy Sanders were in the mix too, and a list of well known roadies as long as my arm would come and go.

Truth be known I don't know where all the money was coming from, but everyone around there had two or three thousand on them all the time, and kept it in action, we just passed it around.

And that 6 rail reverse shot, well Calvin is the one that showed me and Scotty how to make it 30 yrs, ago. Calvin taught Scotty alot, thats one of reasons he became so damn good, we all traveled the road together many a time.

I had a friend just get back from the last Layfayette,tourney, and he told me that someone was asking about me down there, I said who was it, he said Scotty,
a big smile came across my face, reading these post brings back alot of fond memory's for sure.

David Harcrow