How many people here play with a fancy custom cue?

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I couldn’t tell you how fancy or not fancy someone else’s cue is/was or the brand. I don’t pay much attention to brands/makers unless one really catches my eye. What I can tell you is 3 of the last 4 players I played had CFSs. That’s it. I have no idea what their butts looked like. I prefer flashy not gaudy personally. But I’m bringing up the carbon fiber because of theft. A thief can spot a $400 shaft from across the room

JC

Coos Cues
Most of my life I played with a basic looking cue.

Then I found a Boar that plays amazing. It’s fancy. I thought about painting it black until I retired it. I’m not into using a flashy fancy cue. But it played too nice too pass up. Spoke to Tony about doing the temp blackout job on it. Never happened.

I much prefer players to be basic looking. But hit/feel>looks. So I’m playing with a fancy cue for the last few years.

Best
Fatboy
Spray it with flat black krylon. You can wipe it off with lacquer thinner years later and probably not even hurt the finish underneath.

Come on man, just do it!!

And of course post before and after photos.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spray it with flat black krylon. You can wipe it off with lacquer thinner years later and probably not even hurt the finish underneath.

Come on man, just do it!!

And of course post before and after photos.
I thought about that and got scared 😂😂

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Fellow one night comes into Bar in Phoenix, carrying a 1x1 junk Case you could buy at Goodwill for a Buck or Two.

Inside is a SneskyPete that looked like it was never cared for, but had Duck tape on it because the Butt was splitting.

Guy was even less handsome than the Cue n Case, very large guy. Heard he was from El Paso, TX. Know as FAT RALPH.

Mission was to play local guy who thought he was great 9 ball player on bar box. Apparently they met in Sin City at BCAPL thing. Fat Ralph was homeward bound.

Fat Ralph did his thing fast, local guy only got 3 or 4 tries to win race to 9. Fat Ralph took the guys $100.00 faster then greased lightning.

Fat Ralph was an artist running ball after ball, rack after rack until he reach nine game.

All this with a Cue n Case most of the forum would not give $10.00 for at garage sale.

tomatoshooter

I play with the same guy every Saturday.
He has a $6000 Black boar.
I have a $230 Schmelke.
He worries about his cue constantly.
I dont.
I have a Schmelke too! I honestly don't think a more expensive cue would do anything for my game, I do need to see if LD shafts are something I need, but that's it. I just saw a couple of customs around here that were really cool and it would be nice to have something unique.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I have a Schmelke too! I honestly don't think a more expensive cue would do anything for my game, I do need to see if LD shafts are something I need, but that's it. I just saw a couple of customs around here that were really cool and it would be nice to have something unique.
Don’t let the cool throw your game off. I’ve hit with a few more expensive cues that I wouldn’t pay $50 for. A lot of times it’s been the balance point I didn’t like.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Well Willie Mosconi could have played better had he had high technology equipment.

He did play ZoK with his old school non hitech stuff.

DryFlyTrout

I'm not trying to have a million dollar cue with 47 karats of diamonds inlayed. Or even a $2000 cue with embellished aesthetics. I could probably never afford the former. The later I could accomplish if I really felt the need. I just don't. Fancy cues, production or custom, sort of make me think of those charms people put on Crocs. It's cute I guess... It's not going to help make shots though.
On the other hand, I'm fine paying for performance. If a cue will help me make a shot, I'm interested.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Define fancy. If that means ornate, I used to play with a really pretty Szamboti-style Jensen with 24 inlays. If that just means custom, most of my cues would fit the bill. I generally prefer simple 4 point, 4 veneer cues with no inlays.

Currently shoot with a 60" Schon R10. Not custom, but not your typical "production" cue either. I'd imagine 60" would have been a special order back then.

tomatoshooter

Don’t let the cool throw your game off. I’ve hit with a few more expensive cues that I wouldn’t pay $50 for. A lot of times it’s been the balance point I didn’t like.
I checked out a friend's cue with the Predator 314 shaft. It was nice but, at least in the two minutes I shot with it, I wasn't thinking "this is what my game needs." I like the hit of my cue a lot.

JC

Coos Cues
I checked out a friend's cue with the Predator 314 shaft. It was nice but, at least in the two minutes I shot with it, I wasn't thinking "this is what my game needs." I like the hit of my cue a lot.
If we ever get caught up in a cue being what our game needs we can be sure we have taken the wrong fork in the road some time ago.

Rusty in Montana

I enjoy playing with a modest custom cue made by Scott Erwin however I do use a predator SP or my custom Dufferin bar cue that a old friend made for me it hits a ball as well as my fancy custom cue .

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting, more than once in my playing career someone's playing ability just was not matching up to their lame looking cue ( many were Taiwan looking POS), but if you started to get suspicious, I would always check out the shaft- and those always looked like the real deal- so then you knew what was really going down.

I always thought the pièce de résistance was the short thread of wrap undone and dangling at the back of the cue.

Lou Figueroa

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i will once again once its finished

i flip flop every few yrs, some times i like basic ass free sneaky petes
sometimes i like customs