how much to spend on cue

iamgoingto

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been playing pool for a while now and it is time to upgrade. I have a decent cue right now but i know i need a better cue. The people in the poolhall i go to tell me i need to buy a predator shaft, nothing else. I try to explain i can only drop about 200 on a cue i dont have much money right now im in college. I would even like to spend less. They tell me to just wait to get more money and it is not worth buying a 200 dollar cue, i need a predator. i can probably drop 250 but that is pushing it. Any other opinions? can i get a good cue for 200? what kind? or even better does anyone have a cue for sale that might be what im looking for? thanks

GoTulane

Shizzle-rific
Rating - 100%
116   0   1
My Opinion

What kind of cue do you shoot with now? Is it a production cue, and/or what kind? What weight are you used to playing with, and what joint style? Does the cue you use now 'work" for you, and you just want to try a custom cue, or you want to get a cue more set for your style? What is your style of play, what kind of shooter do you see yourself as, how would you describe your abilitites? If you can answer those questions honestly, then many of the people here on AZ could probably help you on the way to get a cue than can help your game, and try something that you haven't tried before.
My last question is whether you have shot with friends' cues, and what other brands have you shot with, and what made you like them or dislike them?

I have shot with a predator, cues with predator shafts added, both the Z and the 314, and currently I do not shoot with a predator shaft. I thought that I would never shoot without one, but after getting my current cue, the "hype" I believed about deflection and what these companies push to us has become a passing thought to me. I am not saying it isn't true, or that they are not good products. I just have started to shoot with a cue that i have not bought a predator shaft for, and I do not miss it one bit. I actually owned 3 shafts at one time for 3 different cues. My game is actually better, IMHO, and I was one to follow the predator masses. To each his own, but whatever you do, get lots of advice, and ask people for help in trying to find something that can better develop YOUR game. Try other people's cues out, and truly judge what YOU think it does for you. practice makes perfect, and so does test driving a cue. Now you may not have the money to keep buying and trading cues, but try out what you can around you. Most people that play pool are more than willing to let someone try out shots with their cue, because they want to let you see how good their cue is in their opinion. Use this knowledge to gain more knowledge, and you will be well on your way to the cue that is right for you, without all the hype.
BTW, there are plenty of nice cues out there in your price range, that can get you started on your quest. just let me know, and I can share of few ideas with you. But once again, the questions I have asked are important to this process.

Hope this helps

Michael

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no one cue is for everybody.

the best < $200 cue i ever played with(three of them) were the sneaky pete meucci's and a <$100 mezz(actually a great cue for the price). whatever you choose you can almost guarantee yourself a good purchase if the shaft grain is straight and centered.

NEVER believe anyone who thinks there's only one cue that's good for anyone.

iamgoingto

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a players cue

and it was like 60-70 dollars 6 years ago. i think it is a 18 oz, but i usually pick out a 19 or 20 when i play without it. It is hard to think about my style im still developing my game. i play nine ball and i consider myself a decent player, i mean running the table on 9 ball does not come too often for me but it does come now and then. I shot with a lucasi once and it felt nice, a lot better than my cue. But once again i asked about lucasi and the people tell me they are japanese pieces of crap, so i dont know. i will just try out other peoples cues, and go from there

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For less than 200 you can pick up a low-end McDermott or Viking Cue. Trust me- the $130 cues hit the same as the $1400 cue from McD. Vikings are solid playing cues. In my search for the right cue, I absolutely refuse to get rid of my Viking cue, although my shooter right now is a Joss- the Viking goes everywhere I shoot and is pulled out when needed. Smelke also makes a great solid player for your price range.

Also, if you watch these forums, every once in a while a great deal comes up on a custom cue. I've seen a couple nice looking custom cues go for price around your range ($225, give or take)- And I haven't even been here that long!

If you choose a production cue- I URGE you to shoot with the same exact cue you want to buy. I've played with some McD's that are golden hitters and others that are just empty despite having same tips, ferrules, shaft diameters and weights. Thats the chance you get when you buy production. Some are just duds.

macaframa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   1
I just ordered a dominiak for 99.00 shipped. I havn't tried one yet but for that price from a cue maker is awsome and prolly can't be beat. Hopefully its not something somebody say well you got what u payed for. Nah but on the serious note I heard these cues are real players. Check them out at www.dominiakcues.com

GoTulane

Shizzle-rific
Rating - 100%
116   0   1
Dominiak

I didn't want to mention it here, because other AZ'ers are gonna think I am doing distribution for Bill, but his inexpensive cues are well worth the money. I seem to keep mentioning his name, and I do not make any money for it. Just want others to understand this great opportunity, before it passes them by. Forget about a McD or Viking, or Lucasi. Though they are good production cues for the money, Bill Dominiak has a great custom cue for less than production cue pricing. I have a couple that I have bought and sold, and need to order another one in the next few days before he raises his pricing. It is solid, and cannot be compared to the average $100 - $150 dollar cue you can buy from a catalog. Believe me when I say, you could buy it for $150, play with it for a month, and sell it to somebody at the pool hall for $200, EASILY!!! This is a great, limited deal, in order to get his name back out there. So once he gets back up and running fully like his craftsmanship is known to WOW, then the pricing will rise. Get one of his cues while they are, and I hate to say it, CHEAP!!!! The only thing Cheap about his cues are their current pricing. So take that huge risk, and spend $100 to $150 on one of his cues. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

Michael

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
spend as much as you can stand, i spent $350 on a brand new SW in May of 87 and I won enough the first week I had it to cover what it cost me, I went flat on that cue, so the heat was on and I couldnt afford to lose I won $150 the first night and by the end of the week it was a free cue, I still have it, i wont ever sell it.

Or listen to what everyone seemes to be telling you wait until you can afford a real cue, you cant afford a Chinese POS if your really serious, it aint easy and why should it be? gotta pay your dues.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your money is tight now wait till you graduate college..then when you get a career job buy the cue of your dreams..:)

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here we go again ....
You need to spend a little grip to get a decent cue.. but not a wad... Go for a falcon.. great stick, high quality.. so what if its made in China now... the new ones play the same as the old ones... you know back when everybody was praising them ..apparently that was only because they were made in Canada... anyway.. you can get a whislter seris at 200 bones brand new...
Dont listen to anyone who tells you that you "have to spend" x amount to get a good cue.. horse shit .. a pool cue is, very simply, a tappered and jointed piece of wood!!! it is not a highly engineered machin with thousands of moving and calibrated parts...it is a stick.... as long as qualtiy goods are used to make it.. then you are fine... ivory, coccobolo, tulip, whatever dosent make the shots any eaiser...

Here is another option... hit with your buddies preadators.. if it really is the way for you to go then just pick up a shaft for your current cue...200 bucks will get you one for sure... Remember, inlays and fancy pancy designs sure do look good... but they dont make shots.. they do however make you spend money!!

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Doiniak

GoTulane said:
I didn't want to mention it here, because other AZ'ers are gonna think I am doing distribution for Bill, but his inexpensive cues are well worth the money. I seem to keep mentioning his name, and I do not make any money for it. Just want others to understand this great opportunity, before it passes them by. Forget about a McD or Viking, or Lucasi. Though they are good production cues for the money, Bill Dominiak has a great custom cue for less than production cue pricing. I have a couple that I have bought and sold, and need to order another one in the next few days before he raises his pricing. It is solid, and cannot be compared to the average $100 - $150 dollar cue you can buy from a catalog. Believe me when I say, you could buy it for $150, play with it for a month, and sell it to somebody at the pool hall for $200, EASILY!!! This is a great, limited deal, in order to get his name back out there. So once he gets back up and running fully like his craftsmanship is known to WOW, then the pricing will rise. Get one of his cues while they are, and I hate to say it, CHEAP!!!! The only thing Cheap about his cues are their current pricing. So take that huge risk, and spend $100 to $150 on one of his cues. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

Michael

Michael you should be on the pay role :D :D ....Michael is right on the money Dominiaks are great players...I would suggest spending the additional 40.00 for the extra shaft......139.00 delivered ...Best value out there IMO.....

Last edited:

NoStrokeAtAll

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm new. Up and running agian from what? I find myself in about the same confused state as the original poster. I have a couple of Jim Shao cues (KC Industries) and thought I liked them until I used a Runde-Schon one night. The Schon's balance is great to say the least. I'm not so up on the feel of the hit (hard hit, soft hit, or whatever), but my game (or wallet) just doesn't have Schon money in it yet. One of the cue makers has a traveling try out cue wondering around the countryside. Sure sounds like a great idea for anyone building at less than capacity. The first cue that lands in my hand that has the right balance, gets my money. I don't care if it's pink with purple flames.

paulybatz

"The Professor"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Two options

Fatboy said:
spend as much as you can stand, i spent $350 on a brand new SW in May of 87 and I won enough the first week I had it to cover what it cost me, I went flat on that cue, so the heat was on and I couldnt afford to lose I won $150 the first night and by the end of the week it was a free cue, I still have it, i wont ever sell it.

Or listen to what everyone seemes to be telling you wait until you can afford a real cue, you cant afford a Chinese POS if your really serious, it aint easy and why should it be? gotta pay your dues.

Spend the money you have and be semi-happy not have good feelings about the cue or save up and buy a custom cue that plays well and you can move the rock with...I went through Players to Schon to Predator to my foray into Custom cues.

Best idea is to save your money for 1 year...play with a house cue, get better then plan a trip to Valley Forge and buy what feels perfect for you as you can test hit the cues.
That is what I did two years ago (but that was after I bought and sold 14 custom cues)

paulybatz

"The Professor"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice up and coming cuemaker...

Contact Brent about making a cue to your specs...Ive talked to many happy customers. Get the cue just the way you want it without breaking the bank!!!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=55143

You just missed a sneaky pete from Bryan Mordt...a great cue too!!!

Perhaps a Gilbert Jump Break...contact cueaddicts...it is a killer player then when you win enough you can buy a custom cue of your choice and still have a break cue (just put on a hard tip)

Again, it is all subjective...so get out there and try some.

zcat27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Chuck Starkey Cue

iamgoingto said:
i have been playing pool for a while now and it is time to upgrade. I have a decent cue right now but i know i need a better cue. The people in the poolhall i go to tell me i need to buy a predator shaft, nothing else. I try to explain i can only drop about 200 on a cue i dont have much money right now im in college. I would even like to spend less. They tell me to just wait to get more money and it is not worth buying a 200 dollar cue, i need a predator. i can probably drop 250 but that is pushing it. Any other opinions? can i get a good cue for 200? what kind? or even better does anyone have a cue for sale that might be what im looking for? thanks

There is a nice one in your price range on ebay that ends today. Item 200084757039. Chucks cues have gotten great reviews on the forum here. I think that is a lot of cue for the money. Hope it helps.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Good, inexpensive cues

GoTulane said:

Michael

Like Michael said, the inexpensive Dominiak for $99 delivered is a steal. It has a radial cored forearm and decent shaft wood. If you call him, you can choose the weight, and select the wrap of your choice. You said your budget is $200-250, so pick up one of those for $99, then come back on here and ask for a used Predator 3/8x10 in the price range of what you will have left, $100-150. You will certainly find one, and you will have a custom cue and a Predator shaft, both within your budget.
http://www.dominiakcues.com/gpage1.html

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Not a bad plan...

cuejoey said:
Since your money is tight now wait till you graduate college..then when you get a career job buy the cue of your dreams..:)

I think you should get a decent cue for 2-300 used off ebay.

As noted earlier, its the Indian not the arrow.

Ken

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Bamacues said:
Like Michael said, the inexpensive Dominiak for $99 delivered is a steal. It has a radial cored forearm and decent shaft wood. If you call him, you can choose the weight, and select the wrap of your choice. You said your budget is $200-250, so pick up one of those for $99, then come back on here and ask for a used Predator 3/8x10 in the price range of what you will have left, $100-150. You will certainly find one, and you will have a custom cue and a Predator shaft, both within your budget.
http://www.dominiakcues.com/gpage1.html
That's excellent advice imo. ;)