"Hustling": Is It Sleazy Or Clever (Or Both)?

Is "Hustling" Sleazy, Clever, or Both?

• I Think Hustling Is Sleazy.

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • I Think Hustling Is Clever.

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • I Think Hustling Is Both Sleazy & Clever.

Votes: 154 47.7%

• Total voters

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Anybody want a brand new note pad?

I bought one to list all the innocent unsuspecting people I've won money off....
....the notebook is still pristine.

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
niether....two people agree to a wager on the outcome of a pool game and one loses and one wins.....if u practice and play well enough you can limit the amount of people that pose a threat to "hustle" you....best defense is a good offense.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
If I find innocence, I have a drink with them.

I suppose I don't need a brand new note pad to keep a list of those kind of people. Hell, I don't remember any innocent unsuspecting people that I have won money off of......not one.

JoeyA

Anybody want a brand new note pad?

I bought one to list all the innocent unsuspecting people I've won money off....
....the notebook is still pristine.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Everything is a hustle. Pool doesn't have a "black eye" because someone got hustled at a bar. Hustling is a part of pool but it is with everything else you just don't get it. The banks and government know you're a sucker. Commercial businesses and even your boss, they know you're a sucker. There is wrong with hustling. Everyone is trying to have the upper hand and the ones that have the upper hand the most are winners.

Agree 100%. Life has been a hustle from the old horse traders (sore legged horses) to the stock market (Only insiders get rich with very little down side. Johnnyt.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I do not find this to be a viable rationale to hustle people. One person's ethics should not be based on what someone else does. Also, a person should be able to go into a pool hall and try to match up with someone else, without having to worry that a great player is lurking there looking to steal their money. I just don't get the thought process that allows that type of behavior in any avenue of life.

Most people hustle the company they work for everyday
Jason

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I always "feel" like I'm hustling when I'm playing strangers in the bar. I think it's because I've yet to run into a really good player in the bars.

Last week at a new bar I tried, two older guys wanted to play for money and I could tell that this was the sole reason that they came to the bar. So get this, the first guy never asked to play for anything the first game. I won, and after he slips me a $1 bill. I'm like, huh? Well, okay.

The second guy asks me what I'd like to play for. I said $100 a game, he balked, and said he'd play for a drink. I won 3 games in a row from him.

Two younger guys come in and one had the two parts of his cue only held by a rubber band. He asks to play for $10 a game. I beat him 3 games in a row. His friend also played for $10, and I beat him 2 games and he would only play the third game for a drink, which I won. This guy asked if I was a "hustler", I guess because I played good.

My conclusion is, most people play regular "bar rules" in a bar = no BCA rules, no ball in hand, and no safeties. Therefore, in order to win, you need to play a lot of two-way shots and sometimes strategically miss shots when there is no chance to run out. Doing this to me "feels" like hustling, but if you're playing for money, it must be done. Playing these rules often time makes most games appear to be much closer than they really are. Some players figure out quickly, that every time the balls are open, I don't miss and get out.

Fun times. I think I've found a new bar. :D

PoolChump

Banned
I always "feel" like I'm hustling when I'm playing strangers in the bar. I think it's because I've yet to run into a really good player in the bars.

Last week at a new bar I tried, two older guys wanted to play for money and I could tell that this was the sole reason that they came to the bar. So get this, the first guy never asked to play for anything the first game. I won, and after he slips me a $1 bill. I'm like, huh? Well, okay.

The second guy asks me what I'd like to play for. I said $100 a game, he balked, and said he'd play for a drink. I won 3 games in a row from him.

Two younger guys come in and one had the two parts of his cue only held by a rubber band. He asks to play for $10 a game. I beat him 3 games in a row. His friend also played for $10, and I beat him 2 games and he would only play the third game for a drink, which I won. This guy asked if I was a "hustler", I guess because I played good.

My conclusion is, most people play regular "bar rules" in a bar = no BCA rules, no ball in hand, and no safeties. Therefore, in order to win, you need to play a lot of two-way shots and sometimes strategically miss shots when there is no chance to run out. Doing this to me "feels" like hustling, but if you're playing for money, it must be done. Playing these rules often time makes most games appear to be much closer than they really are. Some players figure out quickly, that every time the balls are open, I don't miss and get out.

Fun times. I think I've found a new bar. :D

It isn't hustling when other people are asking you to play. It is hustling when you play somebody who has no chance of winning and steal their money. :confused:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It isn't hustling when other people are asking you to play. It is hustling when you play somebody who has no chance of winning and steal their money. :confused:

A little unclear reasoning here....
...what if a guy who can't win asks you to play?

And I think you should google "steal"....when two people gamble it was an agreement...
....no B nEs, no mugging, no stick up...(well, I got robbed on a bank once)

PoolChump

Banned

And I think you should google "steal"....when two people gamble it was an agreement...

If only I had an ace up my sleeve. Wonder things can happen.:confused:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hustling is the manifestation of desperation and low self worth.

If you, as man, or woman, can't face an opponent in an honest contest of your ability vs theirs, you've not only shown disrespect to your opponent (and the game), but you've also shot a hole in your own integrity. The phrase "gutless weasel" comes to mind.

PoolChump

Banned

If you, as man, or woman, can't face an opponent in an honest contest of your ability vs theirs, you've not only shown disrespect to your opponent (and the game), but you've also shot a hole in your own integrity. The phrase "gutless weasel" comes to mind.

Well said! :cool:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
1925.jpg
from Billiards Magazine 1925
funny typo in the the title

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A deal premised on false information is fraud.

But thank goodness someone somewhere is doing something dishonest, as that apparently is all that is needed for some of you to try to justify stealing and fraud.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Any room I've been where they talk like that....there isn't much action.
Talk is cheap.

I had a man ask me to play back-pocket 9-ball....I had zero experience at that game so I asked what he wanted to give up....he says "Why don't people just step up and PLAY....
....like REAL men?"
so I mentioned four games that I know we BOTH played....he changed his tune about getting up and playing like men.

there's no two people that can't make a fair game....but people that think MAKING a game is beneath them.....don't gamble much.