I just noticed something in the Crane 150 and out

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched the video before but never noticed this.

He is left with this. Obviously the video is not accustats quality. On the video you see him walk down and line up the 5 ball, I thought that was the angle he needed to hit the 5 to make the combination. It's not, he slow rolls the combination and he is lining up the angle the cue ball will go into the 5 after it comes off the rail. He leaves himself perfect on the 5 into the side to continue the run. The man could play the game.

Under the wei table is the link, go to the 9 minute mark of the video.

CueTable Help



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSbZaQADc8
 
Last edited:
C'mon, this guy couldn't play. Today's straight Pool players would have to spot him 150-100 at least! :eek:
Just ask anyone, they'll tell you.
 
C'mon, this guy couldn't play. Today's straight Pool players would have to spot him 150-100 at least! :eek:
Just ask anyone, they'll tell you.

Not many people would have played that shot the way he did. There are some great 14.1 players today but if they think they would have run over Irving Crane they would have been in for a rude surprise.
 
Not many people would have played that shot the way he did. There are some great 14.1 players today but if they think they would have run over Irving Crane they would have been in for a rude surprise.

I have watched that ole tape many many times, and every time its just as awesome as the first! Gentlemen Irving Crane "The Deacon" is one of my all time favorites. I think I'll go pour a nice Cabernet, slice a bit of cheese and settle in and watch it right now. see ya!!
 
Not many people would have played that shot the way he did. There are some great 14.1 players today but if they think they would have run over Irving Crane they would have been in for a rude surprise.

Those pockets have to be 9.5 inches at least, that guy sucks.
 
This probably belongs in the 14.1 section, maybe Mike or another moderator can move it if they read this.
 
C'mon, this guy couldn't play. Today's straight Pool players would have to spot him 150-100 at least! :eek:
Just ask anyone, they'll tell you.

JH,
You are sooo right. When I saw Irving play in a round robin exhibition in the mid-70's (straight pool and 8-ball), he beat all of the younger players in straight pool except Mizerak (I think Rempe, Hopkins, Margo, Marino, Butera, and Murphy were there also, can't remember the rest - total of 8). But of course he only shot easy shots, the rest of the guys had much tougher shots....so I guess they were really better players....Irving must have been very, very lucky that week to always get such easy layouts....
 
Back sometime in the early 60's i sat (about 10 feet away) and watched Irving run a 141 balls. The hardest shot he had to make was an easy cross side bank where the ball banked was off the rail about 3 inches and a couple of inchs past the side pocket an easy shot for most players. Other then that it was 2 foot or less on every shot. At that time i could run 30 or 40 once in awhile and as i watched him i relized i had a lot to learn and after 50 years i still am not close to what he could do. In his time he was second to only Mosconi and had there not been a Mosconi Irving may have been the best of his era.
 
Ray Martin

After his death, his wife is reported to have said that she would sometimes sit in the stands, and before Irving took his break shot, he would look at her. She would give him a signal for what ball was to be the break ball for the next rack. It didn't matter if it ended up table. By the time he got down to the last few balls, he would have that ball in perfect position for a break ball. I'd like to see todays players pull that off.

Ray Martin used to have me pick his next break ball out of the rack until he was done running balls.
 
My favorite part of that video is when he does the chicken dance after bouncing the cue ball off the point of the side pocket at the beginning of the last rack, then wipes his brow after getting back in line after the next shot. I almost choked on a pretzel the first time I watched it.
That and watching Joe Balsis smoke. :)
Hat tip to whomever the camera and control room crew were back then, you could tell they understood the game.
 
you gotta love Crane...

he just stands there expressionless and expects the balls to do as they are told... and they DO!!!!!

no one has a better table presence than Crane..

there is no question.. he RUNS the table..

he doesn't react to it.. at least not openly... stoic .. everything is going exactly according to plan... even if it's not..

that sh!t gets into another guys head....

I love to watch Crane play
 
JH,
You are sooo right. When I saw Irving play in a round robin exhibition in the mid-70's (straight pool and 8-ball), he beat all of the younger players in straight pool except Mizerak (I think Rempe, Hopkins, Margo, Marino, Butera, and Murphy were there also, can't remember the rest - total of 8). But of course he only shot easy shots, the rest of the guys had much tougher shots....so I guess they were really better players....Irving must have been very, very lucky that week to always get such easy layouts....

According to his biography he won something called the world series of billiards in 1978, a combination of 14.1 and 9 ball with the young guns of the era present. Pretty strong for a 65 year old man and it kind of debunks the theory that the youngsters would dominate the old timers. If he was that strong at 65 what was he like in his prime?
 
C'mon, this guy couldn't play. Today's straight Pool players would have to spot him 150-100 at least! :eek:
Just ask anyone, they'll tell you.



Wade told me once: "the only player he feared was Billy Johnson". What do you think Jay? SPF=randyg
 
C'mon, this guy couldn't play. Today's straight Pool players would have to spot him 150-100 at least! :eek:
Just ask anyone, they'll tell you.

They don't have to ask me Jay.I'm on your side over the debate!
I've seen this video many times and never noticed it
myself.Rep for you alstl!:grin:
 
Back
Top