I quit league... and found my focus again.

Diogenes

Silver Member
I didn't want to post this in the "how are ya'll doing in league" thread as it's not a slam on league play at all but... it's more "how am I doing out of league".
Let me begin by saying something happened to my game during the last two seasons of league play. I went from shooting like an 8 to shooting like a 4 (sometimes worse). 2 straight seasons without a single break and run... unbelievable. Aside from some health issues, I felt that there was always something else that was causing my game to fall off so badly. It had gotten so bad that I was even making arrangements to sell my GC-IV. After I left league (for other reasons) I began to realize the what and the why.
Over the past 6-7 weeks I've seen my game pick back up to where it should be and the runs are there about every day of the week. I'm now seeing and making shots so thin that there's little more than the thickness of a sheet of paper to get into the pocket.
So why the big change in my game?

First off the UPA league in this area is mismanaged beyond belief. There is always some kind of chaos going on as soon as you walk in the door and the LO doesn't even seem to know the rules of play. Excuses and lies are most of what seemed to be the rule. Too distracting but that wasn't my main problem.

So after I gave up league play, I went back old school. Playing on my schedule and deciding when and who I would play. Also I just can't adapt to playing in a money league on a team level. There's something in my head that thinks on a one-on-one basis when it comes to gambling and the money gets laid out on the table. That's the only way I've ever known how to compete... either single or in pairs.
So now I've been playing almost every Wednesday night with the guys (on my table). We have a good time (just like in league), but eventually the money always comes out and that's when I stop drinking and start shooting. It's such a totally different mindset than league... no ranking handicaps or score sheets. Just keep the guy in his chair because there's money on the table... I can see it.
Just like golf... most of billiards is played within the space between our ears.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I'm kind of in a league rut right now as well. I get 2 days a week to play and one of them (league night), I usually play a 30-minute match, do a little coaching and then spend the rest of the night in a drunken daze.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I quit league... and found my focus again."

I'm not going to read your long post but as to the subject line I agree with you.
Playing league is a distraction.
Some people say it keeps them focused but for me it took the fun out of the game.

stlerdave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
agree!!!!

I play league 2 nights a week and have taken a few tuesday league night s off and went to pool hall shot for about 2-3 hours instead. My Thursdays have never been more fun and shooting way better. After this session one of my league night the wife puts up with is gonna become a pool hall 3-4 hour session!

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
funny you post this tonight, as i basically said same, VERBATIM, to Scott Lee this afternoon when he called to check on "the team".

POOL at your house! RACK EM! ;)

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
You said it Brother!

I quit leagues for awhile citing "fatigue", it was really me just being sick of "the games."
I re-acquired my love for the game and play a few select ppl in singles competition. It is tough matching up schedules sometimes, but really fun when we get together to play. Playing in 3 different rooms was a bit of a challenge too as they have both GC's and Diamond tables.
Leagues are nice, but the BS and game-play makes the competition part of the game shrink into nothing. Singles play is more enjoyment.::cool:

Best to you ! :thumbup:

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Good for you man.

I'm quitting APA as soon as I get to a 7 in 8 ball as it'll be very hard to play on my team. Just a few more break and runs away. Hoping by the end of the session I'll be moved up and can move on.

Made a small bet with a member of the league as to how long it'll take me to get there a while ago and I'm way early on it.

I play way better outside of league for a lot of reasons. The whole system just makes me irritated.

I might stay with Valley but I dunno. I think barboxes are fun but I just don't like it as much as the big tables.

Kudos to you and congrats.

Nitrokid373

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen Brotha............. Iam in the exact same situation with the two leagues I play. Iam finding that for my game it hurts it more than anything. I play a valley league and a valley style house league up in Canada and its always the same old whiners complaining about tables or people walking infront of their shots. Iam looking to become a competitive player and have been told by a few pros to step away from league. Its not the place to bare down and shoot. Good luck in the future !

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't want to post this in the "how are ya'll doing in league" thread as it's not a slam on league play at all but... it's more "how am I doing out of league".
Let me begin by saying something happened to my game during the last two seasons of league play. I went from shooting like an 8 to shooting like a 4 (sometimes worse). 2 straight seasons without a single break and run... unbelievable. Aside from some health issues, I felt that there was always something else that was causing my game to fall off so badly. It had gotten so bad that I was even making arrangements to sell my GC-IV. After I left league (for other reasons) I began to realize the what and the why.
Over the past 6-7 weeks I've seen my game pick back up to where it should be and the runs are there about every day of the week. I'm now seeing and making shots so thin that there's little more than the thickness of a sheet of paper to get into the pocket.

First off the UPA league in this area is mismanaged beyond belief. There is always some kind of chaos going on as soon as you walk in the door and the LO doesn't even seem to know the rules of play. Excuses and lies are most of what seemed to be the rule. Too distracting but that wasn't my main problem.

So after I gave up league play, I went back old school. Playing on my schedule and deciding when and who I would play. Also I just can't adapt to playing in a money league on a team level. There's something in my head that thinks on a one-on-one basis when it comes to gambling and the money gets laid out on the table. That's the only way I've ever known how to compete... either single or in pairs.
So now I've been playing almost every Wednesday night with the guys (on my table). We have a good time (just like in league), but eventually the money always comes out and that's when I stop drinking and start shooting. It's such a totally different mindset than league... no ranking handicaps or score sheets. Just keep the guy in his chair because there's money on the table... I can see it.
Just like golf... most of billiards is played within the space between our ears.

so that is why i have not seen you post in that thread lately. i recall a few pm's you and i sent to each other and it was apparent you were not happy with how your league was being ran.

i can see where all the negativity and drama in that particular league would affect your game. its strange but i find myself playing better at home " most times " than i do at league also.the thing is ...i never play at home unless i have a few friends come over once in a great while. i think they very seldom come over because i always beat the crap out of them.:grin

1 is a 6/7 and the other is a 7/8. i am a 5/5 and the last time i played the 8 we played 9 ball 3 races to 7. i won 2 out of 3 with one of them being a 7-2 match in my favor.

now it would stand to reason if i can do that at home i oughta be able to do that at league but i never do for some reason.:(

glad to hear you are playing better now. :thumbup:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League play is a different mind set...........

Just like playing for $5 or playing for $1000. Just like playing a ring game where you might shoot one shot every 15 minutes and have to perform.

I play league to sharpen up my focus and make that one ball when it has to be made. No second chance. Plus you have to get up there and get it done when your not warmed up. Been sitting for awhile.

Plus it's just good old fun to hang out with the friends.

Every situation serves a purpose in this game.

Now that you've found your game go back and sub in the league and see if it will make a difference in your play in league.

Good luck with your game..........

CokerFan82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to get extremely irritated with league-only players, walking in between tables while I'm down on the 9 ball, having to guard my cues from those who aren't used to proper pool etiquette and all that stuff, but most of them are the reason the poolhall is still in business. They typically spend A LOT more cash on food/beer than any of the hardcore players/gamblers.

I like playing the obvious sandbaggers the most! I don't gamble very often due to limited funds, so when I play a guy in league that I know has been laying down throughout the session to protect his coveted skill level 4/5 and I'm spotting him nearly 40 balls as a 9 ... Well, it's all the more reason to try and outrun the nuts* and drill his arse in front of all his buddies. I mean league still cost a few bucks for each match... Might as well Fire em in the hole for the win!!

Glad you found enjoyment in the game once again! !

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
both sides

Good for you man.

I'm quitting APA as soon as I get to a 7 in 8 ball as it'll be very hard to play on my team. Just a few more break and runs away. Hoping by the end of the session I'll be moved up and can move on.

Made a small bet with a member of the league as to how long it'll take me to get there a while ago and I'm way early on it.

I play way better outside of league for a lot of reasons. The whole system just makes me irritated.

I might stay with Valley but I dunno. I think barboxes are fun but I just don't like it as much as the big tables.

There are "good" and "bad" league systems (depends on one's definitions), good and bad league operators, good and bad room owners and people with good and bad attitudes.

Regarding the "focus" thing...over the years I've heard people say that league made the game fun for them, and others say it gives them a reason to focus (to help your team). For me the best thing about league play is that it gives one the opportunity to share the joy of success with teammates...

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you on league night. I'm there to get out of the house and away from my pia teenagers (just kidding of course), smoke a cigar, have a couple of cold ones and then play the league match. Iif I lose but it doesn't bother me too much. If we are lucky to finish early maybe we play a ring game. My game jumps up and my focus is great.

Diogenes

Silver Member
so that is why i have not seen you post in that thread lately. i recall a few pm's you and i sent to each other and it was apparent you were not happy with how your league was being ran.

i can see where all the negativity and drama in that particular league would affect your game. its strange but i find myself playing better at home " most times " than i do at league also.the thing is ...i never play at home unless i have a few friends come over once in a great while. i think they very seldom come over because i always beat the crap out of them.:grin

1 is a 6/7 and the other is a 7/8. i am a 5/5 and the last time i played the 8 we played 9 ball 3 races to 7. i won 2 out of 3 with one of them being a 7-2 match in my favor.

now it would stand to reason if i can do that at home i oughta be able to do that at league but i never do for some reason.:(

glad to hear you are playing better now. :thumbup:

It seems we always have the same mindset on the game you and I. I also don't play that much at home unless I have friends over. I'm trying to keep the money part down to the closing hours of the night because I also dominate the table (when the bucks are out). That's when the chatting stops and it gets real. I don't want to chase my Wednesday night group away but I haven' t lost a money game to anyone yet.

I thought league was going to be a continuation of what I was doing at home and what I had done in my pool hall days. Instead I found that I was having a good time with some really good people... great social environment... but it kind of soured the milk.

I think that ddadams has a formula for league that would have worked best for me. Have a personal goal of getting to a higher ranking within a certain period of time and having a side bet on it with team mates. I told my team mates many times "if I could bet money on my matches... I'd win every one".

Yea, the LO is so clueless (and underhanded) in how he runs the show that it's really hard to just come in with a clear head and shoot. I ran into him last week when I went to watch some friends on another team compete. I told him that when I paid my UPA membership I was supposed to get a patch and that I don't think that anyone on our team ever got one. He told me, "I've got some here with me in my case". Funny, I was there for over 2 more hours and he never gave me one. But he never said he was going to give me one... just that he had some with him.

I still drop into the league thread and read how you (and others) are doing in league and I'm pulling for you all. I still go out and watch league play locally of other teams as I have made many friends of those who I have played against. But I won't do it again and risk loosing my stroke. The other day I went into the pool room early in the morning and shot some 8 ball. 1st rack.. break and run. 2nd rack... break and 7 ball run, then cleaned the table on the second turn. 3rd rack... break and run. Wasn't doing anything like that in league play.

Good luck my friend... I'll try to drop you a line now and then.

Diogenes

Silver Member
Good for you man.

Thanks. I really like your formula for league. Set a ranking goal for a personal competition with yourself. Place money on it with your team mates to get you focused on your task at hand. I have to wonder... what if.
Thanks for the support from you and everyone who has replied in this thread. I think league is a good thing (just not around here)... but it's just not for me.

tonemachine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds bad. I was.thinking of joining a league but not now....I moved to the Chicago suburbs from Chicago and miss shooting against good players (no serious pool halls near me). Is there any place on this site to match up with local players?

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Thanks. I really like your formula for league. Set a ranking goal for a personal competition with yourself. Place money on it with your team mates to get you focused on your task at hand. I have to wonder... what if.
Thanks for the support from you and everyone who has replied in this thread. I think league is a good thing (just not around here)... but it's just not for me.

Everyone has their own agenda for joining a league. when I join a team its usually to meet people and have fun and of course the competition. I will play in tourneys if I want some serious pool or hook up with some better players occasionally.

I try to stay out of the politics of pool leagues because they all will disappoint you once you learn how they are run. Each has a different format but with the exception of the local VNEA league they are all in it to make a profit.

Last edited: