identfy old cue

danick70

69 Beep Beep
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any idea of the maker on this old cue? It was left to my friend by her dad & she remembers him mentioning the name Rambow, I know that's unlikely but she doesn't know anything about cue's so where did she come up with that name? it has a machine threaded screw holding on the but cap that goes into an allen head weight bolt & has a pilot joint.
IMG00177-20110202-1403.jpg

IMG00178-20110202-1404.jpg

IMG00183-20110203-0851.jpg

IMG00185-20110203-0854.jpg

IMG00184-20110203-0853.jpg

IMG00181-20110203-0850.jpg

Last edited:

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Better pictures

Im sure someone on here will be able to help you but you will need better pictures. Take some up close of the joint , the pin. and the butt cap with the rubber bumper removed so we can see the weight bolt inside. That should help for a start,,,,<<ED

marco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
id cue

the guys here on az are brillant when it come to id a cue but you will have to give them more to go on. what kind of wood in the cue, what thread is the pin, are there any marking and better, how old is the cue . pics would help..

im sure some one can help
marco

rustysregular10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
the way the butt is constructed, it does look like an old herman rambow. if so she got a great cue there. i could be wrong but thats my guess.

LPCUSTOMCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
180   0   0
The joint is not consistant with it being a Rambow cue. I dont think he used that type of weight bolt either.
Its definitely an older conversion made from a Titlist.

Hope this helps
Lee

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
Jim, I agree....it's a nice older Titlist conversion for sure, though. It looks like it's been reworked at some point, quite a while time ago. Nothing I see here makes me think Rambow from shaft collar to butt. Can you show a little more straight on (from the side) shot of the joint and pin? The black collar on the butt appears quite a bit thinner than the one on the shaft....but it may just be the angle of the pic. Do you know what area your friend & her dad lived back in the 60s & 70s? That information might be helpful.

BobbyC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Id

The cue is a titilist conversion with a Rambo style butt sleve as far as I can tell , The Rambos I have seen look a bit different, A good family friend of mine is in his 70s, he has 2 Rambo cues and they have his name on the shafts joint collars are black with nickle accent rings, he has his first cue he bought from Herman, it has the original round packing tube with the screw on lid plus the order form and reciept that came with the cue, he paid 47.00 for the cue.He lived in Chicago when he purchased the cues in the early 60s.
Either way its a nice piece of billiard history value depends on condition as well as what someone is willing to pay in this bust economey.:grin:
Bob

Last edited:

danick70

69 Beep Beep
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Sean- they lived in New Jersey their whole life, here's the other pic, what would be a rough guess on value unable to identify maker?
IMG00186-20110203-1018.jpg

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Hey Sean- they lived in New Jersey their whole life, here's the other pic, what would be a rough guess on value unable to identify maker?

Nick,
Do you have any measurements? What are the lengths of the shafts and butt, separately.

What is the thickness of the cue:
1. at the joint
2. just above the wrap
3. just below the wrap
4. right at the Hoppe ring

Thanks,
Joe

danick70

69 Beep Beep
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Joe,
here's the dimensions

1. at the joint 19.5
2. just above the wrap 32.25
3. just below the wrap 28
4. right at the Hoppe ring 34

29-1/8" butt length
28-1/8" both shafts

Last edited:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Hey Joe,
here's the dimensions

1. at the joint 19.5
2. just above the wrap 32.25
3. just below the wrap 28
4. right at the Hoppe ring 34

29-1/8" butt length
28-1/8" both shafts

Can you double check the above/below thickness? A little unusual for the forearm above the wrap to be thicker than the butt...make sure the micrometer is on the wood, not the wrap.

Those convert to:
-0.767"
-1.270"
-1.107"
-1.339"

Joe

danick70

69 Beep Beep
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you double check the above/below thickness? A little unusual for the forearm above the wrap to be thicker than the butt...make sure the micrometer is on the wood, not the wrap.

Those convert to:
-0.767"
-1.270"
-1.107"
-1.339"

Joe
yea reverse those 2 dimensions

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
i think its a late 70s richard black but it looks like it was sub murged under the ocean with all the rust!

Quite possible, and Richard is still around for his thoughts... email him pix at: richard@blackcues.com

One more thing...you might want to remove the allen head weight bolt and take a pic of it as well as the hole it screws into.

Tough one to ID, but a nice looking old Titlist conversion. Did you say whether or not everything is straight?
Joe

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Just a shot in the dark. There was a cuemaker back in the past in NJ named Carl Meyer. My spelling of his name may be off but the time period fits.

danick70

69 Beep Beep
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Quite possible, and Richard is still around for his thoughts... email him pix at: richard@blackcues.com

One more thing...you might want to remove the allen head weight bolt and take a pic of it as well as the hole it screws into.

Tough one to ID, but a nice looking old Titlist conversion. Did you say whether or not everything is straight?
Joe
straight with one shaft not the other, butt is straight
weight bolt has same threads as pin & head is bugle shape

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
For disclosure: I own several Rambow cues myself, and I maintain a photo library of many others that I have seen, but I do not consider myself an authentication expert.

This is an older Titlist conversion, and looks a bit like a Rambow, but here are some areas of concern that I have:
1) Weight bolt - I haven't seen this type in a Rambow cue.
2) Joint material - I haven't seen a non-brass/non-ivory joint on a Rambow cue. Possibly just the pics, but it doesn't look brass.
3) Shaft pilot on neither shaft is consistent with Rambow.
4) Taper - Joint .761", butt 1.326" IS in the ballpark, but seems a little small at the joint (even for a Rambow) and possibly a little big on the butt side.
5) Joint collar width - Not the same on butt and shaft. It's possible that neither shaft is original to that butt. In addition, it looks like an extra shaft has been made for the cue at some point, as one looks significantly newer than the other.

IMO, there is a strong probability that this is NOT a Rambow cue. However, for an authoritative answer you need to seek the advice of an expert. Dino Andrews or Paul Rubino can assist you further. PM me for Dino's contact info if you need it, and please let us know what they say.

Value:
The condition is pretty good, the teal veneer color has completely faded, the Hoppe ring doesn't appear to be ivory, no ivory butt cap or veneers/inlays in the butt, and it's unsigned. All that said, IF this were a Rambow cue with one original shaft, I would value it today in the $600-$900 range. As an unknown conversion, $200-$400 IMO.

Last edited: