Instructors

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I would like to ask the instructors on here what is the 3 things that most pool players need to work on?
Not an instructor but here is what I focus on. Straight stroke. Light "cradle" grip, clearance in my stance, slow backswing with a 2 second pause, eyes on object ball during backswing, smooth acceleration, keeping dead still no movement.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention the SPF group of instructors (randyg & I lead this group)...everything is first based on extensive video analysis. Video shows all flaws...once you learn how to record properly and analyze correctly.

Scott Lee
Yes, pretty much in every sport today , when you look for where someone is going in the wrong direction - for established pros, most of the time they don't want to mess with success, just get the person back to whatever came off the rails in their timing or address - for the intermediate- sometimes a total make over - makes you wonder sometimes about the greats in all sports from the 1920s thru the 1960s- man some of those guys were consistently great forever!- you have to admire past greats in all sports who were consistently great throughout their careers without the benefit of the training tools we have today to " right the ship" when things go a little south.

JoeyInCali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention the SPF group of instructors (randyg & I lead this group)...everything is first based on extensive video analysis. Video shows all flaws...once you learn how to record properly and analyze correctly.

Scott Lee
It's funny ( kinda ) that many years ago, SPF was not widely taught .
Now, if you watch the pros play, it's like ALMOST EVERYONE does SPF.
Before Allison Fisher came , it was almost like everyone was free-stroking .

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Silver Member
... Before Allison Fisher came , it was almost like everyone was free-stroking .
And there were some who criticized the consistent approach and stroke as being too robotic to be interesting.

Back in the 1950s Joe Davis gave (snooker) players a pretty good blueprint for mechanics. He also explained to people that their beliefs about aiming were wrong and he described a simple demo where they could see that for themselves.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And there were some who criticized the consistent approach and stroke as being too robotic to be interesting.

Back in the 1950s Joe Davis gave (snooker) players a pretty good blueprint for mechanics. He also explained to people that their beliefs about aiming were wrong and he described a simple demo where they could see that for themselves.

I do have to say that I enjoy the 80s and 90s, even early 2000s pool videos a lot more than the newer ones when everyone has the same static stance and cue motion among the European, Asian and many American players. Yes it's the "correct" way to be consistent, but it's like watching a tournament with 1 guy playing not 128 individuals. Only difference seems to be how well they execute those same strokes and aim.

I converted a bunch of the Accustats videos to watch on my computer and TV off the network, and also have some of their newer ones saved, I find myself pretty much always just re-watching the 90s and early 2000s matches and very few from the past decade.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell me more please. I’m interested in Joe Davis. Someone told me that Joe looked at the cueball last, as do I. I’ve never looked into it to find out if that was true about him. But everything I hear about this guy resonates with things I do. What should I look at? Where could I find more about this demo for aiming?

Thanks!

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums