Is Scott Frost over-rated?

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so power one pocket freezer plays a lot of one pocket and obviously up there as a top contender but it seems like to me he alwaya falls short of his own ambitions

US open on epocket he not faired well to my knowledge, Alex beat him for the big cash this event he is out convincingly

my point is efren busty svb, Appleton, orcullo, deuel play all games great frost only plays one hole and doesn't dominate that, shit Appleton only been playin American pool since 07 and becoming an elusive one P player

so is her over rate by other or his own omission?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
He just beat Efren for the cash earlier tonight and actually has beat Efren the past 3 or 4 plays for the money. Alex beat him for the money and should have being comfortable and in dead punch after a great session with Shane and Frost had not really been playing so it was very lopsided. Scott had beat Alex before that for some decent coin a couple of times. He has challenged Shane to a big money set playing one pocket and Shane won't play without a ball.

It all says a good deal about where he stands in the one pocket world. His record at the DCC over the past 5-6 years is great, with 1st and 2nd place finishes and the rest I believe all top 8 against the best in the world at that discipline. I do think he takes it a little lightly at times and if he really decided to put in the hours practicing that his contemporaries did then his game could go up a ball or perhaps even two which is unreal to think about.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Appleton isn't making any great effort to go play scott some high dollar one hole. so you figure that out.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although I'm not convinced he is the best One Pocket player, he's right up there with the best. Just my humble opinion as always. :smile:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
He probably will go down as top 5 to have ever played the game undoubtedly. Efren said to Scott that he is the best now, Ronnie Allen said he would not have beat Scott in his prime, One Pocket Hall of Famer Artie Bodendorfer said that Scott Frost would be tougher to play an ahead set with and win against then either Ronnie or Efren. With all that being said if I could play one pocket like anyone I guess I would have to choose Efren and if I had to play nine ball like anyone it would be Earl.

My favorite thing people say is he doesn't move well and he just runs alot of balls, if so they should play him some 3 and stop or something. He gives the best local players not just in his home state of Arizona but many other places he goes the spot of 10/6. I have never seen someone run so many 15s, 16s, 17s and even 18 and out playing Dippy Dave for the most money in the 21st century bet on a pool match. Love him or hate him the man has really helped the game gain popularity too, one pocket has never been this popular.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play one pocket, but have watched quite a bit, and by what I have seen, I really like the way Scott plays.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to watch him a lot in '05 and decided I didn't want to go against any damn part of his one hole game.

His powers have undoobie-tubuly grown from then.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I just recommend if you have your doubts just get up and play him some, he will play cheaply giving some weight. You really do not know how great many of these players are until you get in the box with them. It is very humbling when you think you can play a little bit. :embarrassed2:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so power one pocket freezer plays a lot of one pocket and obviously up there as a top contender but it seems like to me he alwaya falls short of his own ambitions

US open on epocket he not faired well to my knowledge, Alex beat him for the big cash this event he is out convincingly

my point is efren busty svb, Appleton, orcullo, deuel play all games great frost only plays one hole and doesn't dominate that, shit Appleton only been playin American pool since 07 and becoming an elusive one P player

so is her over rate by other or his own omission?

Aggressive and offensive in one pocket does not win games with high caliber players, patience will, of which Scott in my opinion lacks (especially when he is a bit tired) but he knows the game, he runs balls better or same as all you mentioned.
Efren is different from all, he knows too much, he has experience in other pool games that helps his one pocket tremendously especially when it comes to 2 and 3 rail shots/kicks..

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree!

Although I'm not convinced he is the best One Pocket player, he's right up there with the best. Just my humble opinion as always. :smile:

He can play, but I don't think you can call him the best without a lot more wins in big tournaments and a lot more action with the best of the best.

He can play, but I don't think you can call him the best without a lot more wins in big tournaments and a lot more action with the best of the best.

Frost simply doesn't have a tournament mentality, he has a gambling mentality and the top 1P players aren't exactly standing in line to play him for money. Pagulayan is the only one I would bet on to beat him.

ONB

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In answer to "Is Scott Frost over-rated? In a word, no; I think, as witnessed by the various remarks already posted he is rated just fine. My own opinion is that I respect the way he is a student of the game and combines his skill set with that knowledge to enhance his overall play.

This sport attracts too many, oft admired, participants with proverbial million dollar eyes and 10 cent brains so, for me, it is always more entertaining to see the type of smarts that Scott, Efren, Buste, Duelle and others of this ilk bring to the game. Great potting and positional play at the pro level is a given (and can be a joy to watch) but the ability to use real strategic elements adds to the entertainment.

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just get up and play.

I just recommend if you have your doubts just get up and play him some, he will play cheaply giving some weight. You really do not know how great many of these players are until you get in the box with them. It is very humbling when you think you can play a little bit. :embarrassed2:

Very True. When any of us has the courage to get in the box with any of the top players you find out very quickly these guys are just on another level. And if you allow them to hit a gear...it is unbelievable. I played Cory Deul amd John Schmidt before and they could turn it on at will. Left me in the dust.

Last edited:

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pretty sure anyone in the world has an open invitation to play him some 1hole for any amount, so no I dont think he's overrated at all.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see Shane play Scott. I dont think Efren at his age has the stamina to play all day long for days.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott

I have played Justin getting 18-4 many times and we are really close. I think he is ahead a couple games. I tried to play Scott that way and it was brutal. I rarely got past one ball. I have no desire to play him that way again. He beats you a different way every time.

I watched him play in the PB on Wednesday. He seems to try to hard to make great things happen on the table and it costs him sometimes. I find it hard to second guess him as I know he knows waaaayyyyy more than me and what his opponent would do if he played the shot I would have played.

Just my opinion but I don't think he needs those unbelievable shots to win. I think he could simplify his game and still beat his opponents. I think he takes to many risks to do something amazing. Fun to watch though!

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great One Pocket Player

If his head is on right, nobody has to win.IMO he has to calm down, He is very aggressive at the table.When he learns to relax more he will be just about unbeatable..He was the only player to give Dippity Dave 16-4 and win for the BIG.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What "high caliber players" are you referring to?? Who has the patience that Scott does not? I don't see much 1 pocket these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Personally, I think he's the best, but I don't think he's more than slightly above his most capable challengers.

Shannon Daulton got into the zone at the Derby last year to deny Scott a place in the final, but Scott still played at a crazy-high level.

Is he over-rated? No, he isn't.