IT JUST AINT THE SAME....

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Most players under 40 could care less about vintage cues. That and most cues are locked up in collections.

Used to find nice things at reasonable prices. Now everyone wants the world for their stuff.

I think the cue market is about to crash.
I'm 42 and completely agree. I get the beauty and craftsmanship of the cues. I can appreciate them but I have no desire to collect them. I want a cue that hits a ton and I'd like it to look nice. I have a Diviney that I bought from Pat at his shop. I don't need other cues. It plays great and is unique.

Collections are for collectors and that ain't me.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 42 and completely agree. I get the beauty and craftsmanship of the cues. I can appreciate them but I have no desire to collect them. I want a cue that hits a ton and I'd like it to look nice. I have a Diviney that I bought from Pat at his shop. I don't need other cues. It plays great and is unique.

Collections are for collectors and that ain't me.

I'm with you on this, I can appreciate them for what thay are,and for what thay stand for.
I was never into the fancy stuff, a simple 4 pointer and I'm there.
It will be interesting to see, what is considered collectable cues in the future.
I only ever had a couple cues, at any one time.
It's like thay say, you can only use one!!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started collecting rocks about 15 years ago, they don't cost anything and will last through a fire, and nobody will ever steal them. I keep them numbered and all the dimensions and pertinent info on a tag attached to each one , and the real nice ones I keep in a glass case.
Whenever anybody comes over I get them out and we marvel at them. { My wife thinks I have lost my mind } yeah .crazy like a fox.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't even bother looking on the for sale forum. I'm not a collector and stuff is too expensive. I'd rather buy it new or find it at a pawn shop. There are a lot of good folks on here, but why bother buying from someone for market price with no protection. At least Ebay or Amazon I can get my money back if it's a scam. It's too much of a PITA for a buyer, I can do buy it now on ebay or amazon and have it in a few days, my bank's already linked to them and I can do it with the touch of a button.
There are still good folks out there, trying to do the right thing. I've sold a few items here at AZB, and I have, and will continue to stand behind every single item I ever sell.
I guess I always figured the best approach, was to treat someone the way I would hope to be treated, if I were the buyer.
Honestly, life is too damn short to be a dishonest hack. Some advice for anyone thinking of making a purchase here, or anywhere else that isn't a retail setting...Do your research. Try to get a feel for who you are dealing with. If a seller demands a friends and family only transaction on PayPal, walk away!
Some sellers including myself, will accept friends and family, but not insist on it. If a buyer asks about using friends and family, as a seller you should advise the buyer that they are at an increased risk of complete loss, if the transaction goes bad.
At a certain price point, if a seller refuses to offer item insurance, and balks at the idea of providing verifiable tracking information...WALK AWAY. I'm sure there are things that I am missing...these are just tidbits of information and experience, that I would like to pass on.
Regards
j2

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been a boring here of late. As jayman described, Most of these threads circle back to the same thing.
The problem I find today, is people want something for nothing.
Or you sell a cue, with full Disclosure. And thay get it, and still complaining it's not as described. All so thay can try and get more money off. As most of the time, thay have no intention of sending it back. Everything is about money these days. Respect and honesty goes out the window.
The worst thing about e bay now is that they do not respect long time sellers who cleary state- NO RETURNS on their site. E bay always starts out by supporting buyers in disputes, when it should be buyer beware. Bad sellers should just be removed from e bay period and bad buyers should be blocked from any e bay purchases.

The scams on e bay are coming more from buyers than sellers these days- buyers complain about ridiculous issues and try to keep items by frustrating sellers and e bay is supporting this practice. A seller can have hundreds of positive sales and yet e bay will put you through the ringer when you finally sell to a scam buyer- bad policy!

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst thing about e bay now is that they do not respect long time sellers who cleary state- NO RETURNS on their site. E bay always starts out by supporting buyers in disputes, when it should be buyer beware. Bad sellers should just be removed from e bay period and bad buyers should be blocked from any e bay purchases.

The scams on e bay are coming more from buyers than sellers these days- buyers complain about ridiculous issues and try to keep items by frustrating sellers and e bay is supporting this practice. A seller can have hundreds of positive sales and yet e bay will put you through the ringer when you finally sell to a scam buyer- bad policy!
Yeah, that was my experience,I think thay should definitely protect the sellers more, cues are hard enough to sell in the UK. with out people like that. Complaining about the smallest things. I Already had it up for not very much. And I knew, he just wanted more money off. It was actually a chuck Starkey titlist conversion.and was worth way more. Than what I let it go for. Too meny like that now unfortunately!

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
Some thoughts,

I used to put things up for sale here and have no problem selling them in a few minutes to a few days at the extreme out side. Now I could offer a hundred dollar bill for $62.50 shipped and insured and Still end up putting it on eBay. Now some Jackass says' I'll Buy It', and is never to be heard from again.
The trick used to be to try to keep your listing on the front page or it would be on the third page in two hours and no one would see it until you noticed how many pages back it had gotten and gave it a BUMP. Now...Well now, it just aint the same.

I used to post pics of some nice cues in the gallery and they would be gone to the next page in a matter of hours or maybe sometimes a whole day. The last post I posted in the gallery was seven days ago and as of now it's still in the center of the fist page.

Chris Tate. Chris Tate was banned from the remains of this sight! W.T.F.?? He was the best thing this sight ever had as an Allie or an asset! Yes I know, among several other fantastic personalities. Many of the more interesting people (thankfully not all) have moved on or just don't participate as often or have been banned from what seems to be a slowly sinking ship. I assume they were not interested in returning. It was kind of like the wild west here at times, but now it's more like the tamed ass beaten down remains of California with a rule for everything and everyone ruled. I found myself kind of bored wandering around the place lately and, well, 'IT JUST AINT THE SAME'

Wanted; Carbon fiber shaft cheap. A good one though, I hate cheap shafts.
For Sale; A really nice cue made by xyz that has been flipped six times and $$$ added each time RARE OFFERING!
Ask the cue maker: Will wax ruin the finish on my butt? Is an Ld shaft going to make me play like a Pro? What tip is magic?
Things just aint the same.

If you made it this far, Get a life, Have a great day, And party on!
What? Tate was banned? Do I dare ask why?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most players under 40 could care less about vintage cues. That and most cues are locked up in collections.

Used to find nice things at reasonable prices. Now everyone wants the world for their stuff.

I think the cue market is about to crash.
There is a guy at my work that plays bar league pool.
I asked him what cue he had and he said he bought from another player for $125 and didn't know what he bought.
He took a look at it and said it was a Viking,probably didnt get hurt for $125.

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I woke up this morning thinking that I'd leave just as abruptly as I came back, thought I bought a cue and it was sold to someone else ( I even paid for it). In my perspective my word is all I have and I honor what I say like its a binding contract, unfortunately that seems like a thing of the past. Maybe it's due to technology and the lack of integrity in written text as opposed to physically talking, maybe it's because people have just become to disconnected from reality and live in the matrix. Whatever it is I don't jive with it. Feel like in alot of ways even though I'm only 44 I carry the torch from the older generation and am bound to honor and integrity in a world of avatars. I'm not saying that there aren't still good folks out there, I've actually had plenty of solid experiences but man this one really soured my desire to buy another cue here.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I woke up this morning thinking that I'd leave just as abruptly as I came back, thought I bought a cue and it was sold to someone else ( I even paid for it). In my perspective my word is all I have and I honor what I say like its a binding contract, unfortunately that seems like a thing of the past. Maybe it's due to technology and the lack of integrity in written text as opposed to physically talking, maybe it's because people have just become to disconnected from reality and live in the matrix. Whatever it is I don't jive with it. Feel like in alot of ways even though I'm only 44 I carry the torch from the older generation and am bound to honor and integrity in a world of avatars. I'm not saying that there aren't still good folks out there, I've actually had plenty of solid experiences but man this one really soured my desire to buy another cue here.
Gas is too expensive for those wronged to take a road trip to set things right. In the past you might have an angry man show up on your doorstep if you ripped them off.

dquarasr

Registered
Take the high road, always. No regrets is a great way to be, and leave this planet. Don’t succumb to the “me first” contingent. Kudos to you.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny when I was younger it was a bigger deal to me. I always had expensive cues. At some point it wasn’t worth the worry having them sitting in bars getting stolen or damaged. I picked up a predator road line from a friend … then picked up a 2nd wrap less one and have been playing with that ever since. The only cue I still have is an old Willie hoppie which I bought from an old friend who died and I have sentimental value with.

Zerksies

I bought my house with money i made reselling on eBay. Things really took a shit when Facebook marketplace was created. Buying inventory got tougher. Customers became more demanding, scamming got more prevalent. It's just not the same anymore

George the Greek

I got tired of the lowballers that can't read on kijiji prior to covid when I posted something as Price is Firm. During covid I sold 2 boats,lawn tractor,log splitter,3 snowmobiles and alot of other stuff with no hagglers and had switched to marketplace.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gas is too expensive for those wronged to take a road trip to set things right. In the past you might have an angry man show up on your doorstep if you ripped them off.

A man was feeling comfortable about scamming me for $1000 from across the country. Then I told him the truth, I was driving six thousand miles to see a sick friend, hanging a right and another five hundred miles wasn't a big deal!

The scammer was a Jr so in my searching for him I accidentally contacted his dad, called him on the phone. "Dad" told the scammer to make it right. I did get something for my thousand dollars! Also a very upset scammer begging to not call his dad anymore!

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A man was feeling comfortable about scamming me for $1000 from across the country. Then I told him the truth, I was driving six thousand miles to see a sick friend, hanging a right and another five hundred miles wasn't a big deal!

The scammer was a Jr so in my searching for him I accidentally contacted his dad, called him on the phone. "Dad" told the scammer to make it right. I did get something for my thousand dollars! Also a very upset scammer begging to not call his dad anymore!

Hu

The rest of the story. Those not interested gun related shenanigans will only be moderately interested.

My brother had helped me following two major surgeries. Not the kind of thing you can pay back with cash. A builder of custom AR's made a nice move on a forum I was on. I figured, "Aha! my brother had been wanting a custom AR he would never buy for himself, seemed like a good guy building them, I made a quick deal for thirteen hundred or so, six week turnaround. Six weeks became a year and with a thousand dollar deposit up, it was time for a little Hu diplomacy, also sometimes known as hammer diplomacy. I had already warned the huge forum where the dealing had been done. Just as a fringe benefit, an enemy of mine on the forum sent the guy two actions to build African Safari rifles on and didn't get the actions back or even a kiss! A hard dry rape!

The guy was in a fairly small town and I found a home phone number for the name since he was no longer responding to calls at his shop. Didn't take too much figuring that I had found a gold mine, his dad! Seemed like a decent guy, the better half must have hit the wall! \

Quality lacking some places on the rifle, worst thing it wasn't accurate to my standards. About an inch and a quarter with careful tuning and wind flags out. The wonderful things about AR's is that they are modular. The bottom end was OK so I built a Hu style top end. Lilja custom barrel, DPMS hi-rib upper, then the usual frills and whistles.

Windflags out, I started breaking in the barrel, one shot and clean twice, once more to be sure and the Lock-Ease had done it's job. I don't know if it breaks in a barrel fast or coats it and prevents it from ever being broken in. Either way, time to shoot for score!(groups really)

I was competing in benchrest competition with some of the best in the world so I was tuned, my windflags were tuned. The ammo was a fluke. Powder and projectiles were the best in the world, brass was recycled with minimum prep. Shooting from the magazine the rifle cranked out three groups a quarter inch center to center! I would have settled for three-quarter groups with that ammo. The fourth group blew out into the 0.3's but the barrel was filthy by benchrest standards. I cleaned the barrel and fired another quarter inch group.

End of tuning! My brother now has an AR that looks classic 'nam era although even that one has a few goodies added. A minute or two to swap top ends and he has something that will cut bugholes out to three hundred yards and shoot varmints out past a half mile!

Suited me, plus I ordered a pair of those barrels. Twenty years and change later, the second barrel, the second high rail upper, assorted other goodies, all sit in my safe or bins. Might be time to see if everything will still go bang!

Hu

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny when I was younger it was a bigger deal to me. I always had expensive cues. At some point it wasn’t worth the worry having them sitting in bars getting stolen or damaged. I picked up a predator road line from a friend … then picked up a 2nd wrap less one and have been playing with that ever since. The only cue I still have is an old Willie hoppie which I bought from an old friend who died and I have sentimental value with.
This is what I did too.when I was younger, customs was a real big deal. It doesn't matter so much now. You only need, one really nice cue. I got one other cue that has sentimental value, the only one I haven't sold.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've read so many horror stories about buying and selling thru eBay and marketplace and such, especially involving PayPal, that I just refuse to get involved in any of that. Anything, not just pool related. Not that I'd be big into collectable cues, but even years ago when I thought I might search here for an upgrade, I quickly gave up the thought of it.

I'll buy online, but thru an actual business. Tho I still prefer to buy things in person.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly pool seems to attract more than its fair share of lowlifes. But then again look at some of the games historical heros. In the words of Captain Renault "I'm shocked, shocked that gambling is going on in here!"