James Aranas Zoren

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
This guy popped up on FargoRate recently and now hes in the #3 spot in the entire world right below Shane Van Boening and right above Jayson Shaw.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy popped up on FargoRate recently and now hes in the #3 spot in the entire world right below Shane Van Boening and right above Jayson Shaw.

That is only because he is competing in tournaments right now, thanks to his really cool steer, mentor, and friend. :)

He's also learning One-Pocket, and he really likes the game.

You can't get rated on the FargoRate if you don't play in tournaments, unfortunately. But James is.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Is this a robustness "error"?

He already has 365 racks in from major tournaments, it only requires 200 to show up, but his level of play is off the charts good against other players who are extremely high rated.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He already has 365 racks in from major tournaments, it only requires 200 to show up, but his level of play is off the charts good against other players who are extremely high rated.
It would be nice to know how accurate the ratings are depending on the robustness. For example with a total of 5 racks played, it might be +- 200 points, while with 4000 racks played it might be +- 5. A quick calculation seems to say that at 365 racks played the rating is probably right within 20 points and very likely right within 40 points. The uncertainty in the rating is dependent on who the player has played since severe mismatches give less info than matches between roughly equal players.

Last edited:

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly thought the same thing about dodong diamond(his alias in the phillipeans). However give him I'd say 10 tournaments and his Fargo rate will actually reflect where he's at. I'm not saying the kids not great because clearly he's a monster and rapidly improves almost daily but I don't see him anywhere close to 3rd best in the world. Possibly 33rd maybe even 103rd but more like somewhere in between. Who knows though it wouldn't surprise me to see him top 3 a few years from now

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What in the world does "robustness' mean? I find this comical. :embarrassed2:

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
The best pool player in the entire world may not have even been born yet.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
What in the world does "robustness' mean? I find this comical. :embarrassed2:

Robustness is just the number of racks of data they have collected on a given player so far to date, as their robustness grows the more accurate of a reflection their rating becomes.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robustness is just the number of racks of data they have collected on a given player so far to date, as their robustness grows the more accurate of a reflection their rating becomes.

I have not followed the Fargo rating system, though I have seen a lot of threads about it.

How can it be accurate if some players cannot attend the tournaments that it rates? I guess I don't get it -- yet. :p

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Holy cow! This is the strangest thing I've ever read on here. How would that be possible?

It isn't that hard to comprehend. Some genius in the future may be able to outplay everyone whos ever lived and or living right now.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It isn't that hard to comprehend. Some genius in the future may be able to outplay everyone whos ever lived and or living right now.

That would have made sense, but you wrote "The best pool player in the entire world may not have even been born yet." How the hell would someone who hasn't been born yet be "in the world". Right now, there is a best in the world.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would have made sense, but you wrote "The best pool player in the entire world may not have even been born yet." How the hell would someone who hasn't been born yet be "in the world". Right now, there is a best in the world.

Take your basic logic awareness elsewhere. We have no need for it in our fantasyland.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have not followed the Fargo rating system, though I have seen a lot of threads about it.

How can it be accurate if some players cannot attend the tournaments that it rates? I guess I don't get it -- yet. :p

It's worth reading up on, Jen....it takes into account WHO you beat also.
--------------------------------------------
Robust statistics are statistics with good performance for data drawn from a wide range of probability distributions, especially for distributions that are not normal. Robust statistical methods have been developed for many common problems, such as estimating location, scale, and regression parameters
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually, the cream comes to the top....We have all seen better players get beat
in short matches....but those winners often get 'robusted' in the long haul.