Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn right he will. This guy is a thoroughbred! He won't come totally unprepared. Of course the draw will have a lot to do with how he fares. I'd bet he wins two matches or more.
Agree. I think his limiting factor will be the break. If he comes with a decent 'break-off' as the Brits put it he could go a ways.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i stand by what i wrote in the other thread. elite pool has evolved since steve davis could make a dent in the pool scene.

he will have no chance against the top dogs. will be interesting to see against what fargorate he does have a chance.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i stand by what i wrote in the other thread. elite pool has evolved since steve davis could make a dent in the pool scene.

he will have no chance against the top dogs. will be interesting to see against what fargorate he does have a chance.

I think he has a better chance to do well than past snooker players.

After reading his interview, he seems genuinely interested in the challenge and wants to win. Whereas when snooker players gave it a go in the Mosconi, they were really just warm bodies since Europe wasn't as strong in pool back then.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

After reading his interview, he seems genuinely interested in the challenge and wants to win. Whereas when snooker players gave it a go in the Mosconi, they were really just warm bodies since Europe wasn't as strong in pool back then.
Can you link the interview? I would like to read it, thanks.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you link the interview? I would like to read it, thanks.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

no doubt he is the straightest shooter on the planet, but 9-ball is so much about the break today. jumping is a bigger factor as well. also the amount of elite players is much higher now than 20 years ago. i've made good money betting on trump, but i'm passing on this one

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no doubt he is the straightest shooter on the planet, but 9-ball is so much about the break today. jumping is a bigger factor as well. also the amount of elite players is much higher now than 20 years ago. i've made good money betting on trump, but i'm passing on this one
Ronnie shoots straight too. Might be too close to call. He is amazing-both are. Make the 12’ box look like a barbox these days

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
If history is any guide, he won't finish very high. However, someone's always gotta be the first, so history only goes so far. God up help us if the snooker guys start knocking off majors.

Regarding the break - if they are using template racks again (forgive me as I haven't looked at the rules for the Open) or for just the opening rounds again, he doesn't need to hit it very hard to be successful.

If he wins, the prize money will probably cover service on his Patek for a few years lol.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn right he will. This guy is a thoroughbred! He won't come totally unprepared. Of course the draw will have a lot to do with how he fares. I'd bet he wins two matches or more. In fact I think he will win three!
I’m curious as to what diameter shaft / tip he chooses to use?

We have a snooker player here who uses his snooker cue for pool. He claims it has virtually no deflection, but the bigger issue I would think is accurately predicting the amount of throw on the object ball, which is completely different using 2-1/4” heavier pool balls as opposed to 2-1/16” lighter snooker balls.

Last edited:

chenjy9

Oh wow! I think he will definitely win a few matches for sure. As a pinnacle talent in the snookers world, the skills are obviously there. It will be more of a pattern recognition challenge for him. I wonder who is sponsoring him to play in the US Open?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Judd has fewer mental blocks than most top snooker players. He’ll twist and turn and do anything he feels like to make a shot work
So I think his results will be surprising.
I think he’ll take to a hard break.
But jumping will be a big concern.

It makes me extra disappointed that I won’t be going...I had made plans on crossing the border from Canada in a car is out of the question now. We’ve made all the cancellations. :(

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Judd plays snooker like no other. He shoots what might be considered "pool shots" regularly and may know more patterns than other snooker players. I expect him to win some matches, but will have a tough time playing the game against folks who know pool much better than Judd.

Dave