Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd's potential opponents and their FR for the first 4 rounds.

R1 -
Joe Magee (?)

R2 -
Dhruvalkumar Patel (?)
Michael Sclafani (520)

R3 -
Abdullah Al-Shammari (725)
Steve Craney (413)
Coen Bell (587)
Jeremy Sossei (758)

R4 -
Hsieh Chia Chen (767)
Elvis Rodriguez (646)
Massimiliano Corso (681)
Josh Roberts (772)
Daniel Dagotdot (697)
Jaydev Zaveri (?)
Esteban Robles (?)
Jayson Shaw(825)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is he going to use his snooker cue or switch to a pool cue? If I had to switch from 19 0z to 22 oz and from 13mm to 16mm with larger balls I'm sure it would require an adjustment.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

R1 -
Joe Magee (?)

R2 -
Dhruvalkumar Patel (?)
Michael Sclafani (520)

R3 -
Steve Craney (413)
Coen Bell (587)
Jeremy Sossei (758)

R4 -
Hsieh Chia Chen (767)
Elvis Rodriguez (646)
Massimiliano Corso (681)
Josh Roberts (772)
Daniel Dagotdot (697)
Jaydev Zaveri (?)
Esteban Robles (?)
Jayson Shaw(825)
I hope Joe Magee is ready for the tv table. No way Judd plays on anything else with all the build up they’ve given this.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like he'll be using a carbon fiber shaft

1631042628990.png

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

R1 -
Joe Magee (?)

R2 -
Dhruvalkumar Patel (?)
Michael Sclafani (520)

R3 -
Steve Craney (413)
Coen Bell (587)
Jeremy Sossei (758)

R4 -
Hsieh Chia Chen (767)
Elvis Rodriguez (646)
Massimiliano Corso (681)
Josh Roberts (772)
Daniel Dagotdot (697)
Jaydev Zaveri (?)
Esteban Robles (?)
Jayson Shaw(825)
Soft draw (purposeful?), but he will run into trouble by the third or fourth round.

TxBullDog

Registered
I think Judd might win his first match or second but he going to need a bigger boat to get in to the money or lucky draw to get 32… I dont think he can beat any of the top players in rotation until he gets more experience… Break, banks and strategy is a lot different then snooker. They will eat him alive

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Judd might win his first match or second but he going to need a bigger boat to get in to the money or lucky draw to get 32… I dont think he can beat any of the top players in rotation until he gets more experience… Break, banks and strategy is a lot different then snooker. They will eat him alive
I hypothesize the problem differences to be:
Most of the shots will be jacked up. On the 12 footer, more shots will be addressable with a "level" cue.
Position will be far more cramped. On a 12 footer the "strokes" (as in brush strokes) are broader and much longer.
Along these lines, the default machine psyche under pressure will favor a snooker table. The intuitive pocket locations and angles will very likely be on a 6 x 12 mental image.
And of course the differences in the game as you mentioned.

Steve748

Registered
What size table is being used at the US Open this year? I think they were 7 footers in 2019?
Are you thinking of apa finals? They are played on a 7' table
I have been playing with an 11mm tip on my pool cue made by an English cue maker but I have returned it for modifying to 11.8mm tip.
It is made with ash and looks like a snooker cue.
As got Judd I don't doubt he has been preparing himself well so as to make a big impression and he may well be in a future Mosconi cup.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you thinking of apa finals? They are played on a 7' table
I have been playing with an 11mm tip on my pool cue made by an English cue maker but I have returned it for modifying to 11.8mm tip.
It is made with ash and looks like a snooker cue.
As got Judd I don't doubt he has been preparing himself well so as to make a big impression and he may well be in a future Mosconi cup.
Nowadays, the UK Snooker Championship usually runs during Mosconi, and is one of the big 3 snooker tournaments. No chance of him missing that, so if they want him or any current snooker pros to play they'd have to reschedule Mosconi Cup away from early December. I think early on when the snooker players like Steve Davis and Jimmy White were playing they made more effort to avoid the clash, but as the Europe Pool scene developed they stopped doing that. There is little chance of any current highly ranked snooker players putting the effort in, or missing snooker tournaments to play on the euro 9 ball tour, to qualify fairly or get anywhere near the standard required to earn a place on team Europe on merit.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Weird seeding system...they seem to randomly throw out a top 16 WST category just above a load of top level pool professionals.

25th seems a bit generous to me, not disputing his ability in any way at all, but with minimal practice it seems a bit high!
I think they were always going to seed him. They want him to be around for a bit to make a story out of it instead of drawing Filler in round 1 and going straight to the B side.

That said, when Alex played a pro snooker event he had no seeding and played Stephen Maguire in round 1. Alex would have done better if he got to play the number 128 ranked player or a club player.