Just How "Big" is .2mm?

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Just the right size

It's just the right size to sell new shafts to everybody..

In fact the slight reduction allows to you take your game to 11. That's right. While most cues only let you take your game to 10, these let you get to 11 with more control over that cue ball.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, logically .2mm does not seem like it could matter, but subjectively, I am not so sure. I used to play with an 11.75 OB shaft before I switched to the first generation Becue shaft with the conical taper, which is 11.8 mm, but seems much larger to me. I was hoping that Becue would make the pro taper shaft in the 11.8 mm. I have only seen the 12.0 pro taper shaft briefly, but it still seemed large to me compared to my 11.75 OB shaft. Am I just nuts?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, logically .2mm does not seem like it could matter, but subjectively, I am not so sure. I used to play with an 11.75 OB shaft before I switched to the first generation Becue shaft with the conical taper, which is 11.8 mm, but seems much larger to me. I was hoping that Becue would make the pro taper shaft in the 11.8 mm. I have only seen the 12.0 pro taper shaft briefly, but it still seemed large to me compared to my 11.75 OB shaft. Am I just nuts?

I have both Becue shafts...the 11.8mm and the 12mm. The 12mm is much more to my liking because of the Pro taper and I use a closed bridge. The 11.8 has the conical taper and is more suited to open bridge playing.

To me, the tips of the shafts are so close that it is barely noticeable.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a scale drawing of a 11.75 mm shaft in front of a black 12.00 mm shaft.

pj
chgo

mm2.jpg

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I see lots of people on here discussing carbon fiber shafts and many of them keep clamoring for something that may not currently be in production.

For example, there are people saying "if ONLY they made one at 11.8, I would jump all over it, but they ONLY come in 12mm."

Just EXACTLY what is that .2mm going to do for you?

That same could be asked for people going in the opposite direction.

FWIW, I can shoot with pretty much any shaft, but I do PREFER a larger diameter shaft because it fits my closed bridge tighter. However, I can easily live with something that is .2mm different than my preference.

In edit: I "think" the Becue hits "larger" in "feel" when you hit the cue ball than wooden shafts of the same diameter do. The Becue doesn't have the vibrations that "skinny" wooden shafts have when the cue ball is struck hard and way off center.

I switch, back and forth, between my 12mm Becue CF shaft and my 13.25mm, and larger, wood shafts with no problem.

These are the same nits who prefer the "hit" of a quick release pin over a 5/16 14.

All it really does is make it a bit quicker to unscrew after going 2 and out.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
These are the same nits who prefer the "hit" of a quick release pin over a 5/16 14.

All it really does is make it a bit quicker to unscrew after going 2 and out.

JC

But you should evalute what type of joint you want
All depends on how hard you hit the ball
Also How you want to play position

Was someones response to what type of joint is best question

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. :)

I "know" I can feel even the most "minuscule" difference in things, but I was alluding to why it seemed to be an "insurmountable" problem for some people to adapt to, more so than an actual measurement answer.

I can adapt to just about anything, but I prefer a 12.5-12.75 shaft.

Myrtle_04

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is interesting now a couple years later considering that the new Engage shaft is 12.3mm with an extremely long taper. Why not do that taper with the Prime M or the 5.1?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is interesting now a couple years later considering that the new Engage shaft is 12.3mm with an extremely long taper. Why not do that taper with the Prime M or the 5.1?
The Prime M 12mm has a pretty long pro taper.

Myrtle_04

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Prime M 12mm has a pretty long pro taper.
Is that the black or the white shaft? I just got a 30" becue with a white prime 12mm and white 5.1 that are both also 30". I played with the 29" Prime M 12.5 on a Lomax cue and fell in love with the shaft. I wanted the smaller diameter like the Tiger Xpro I had on another cue. The white prime's taper seems really short. Maybe I just need to shorten my bridge, but I didn't have to do that on the 12.5, so I'm surprised I would with the smaller diameter shaft.

Did they change the taper from the white Prime to the Black Prime M? I may end up just ordering a 12.5 Prime M at some point since I know what I'm getting. The specs on the Engage look good, but the stiffer hit and the sound kind of scare me without trying one first.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can play if I have to with an 11.8mm, but I have an 11.6mm OB that is just too small for me and no matter how much I concentrate, I eventually hit the cue ball a little off center.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People are always making big issues of small things. Size of shafts is a perfect example. On the other hand if you want to hustle someone just pretend to roll a shaft on the table to check for 'straightness'.. That will get in their brain and run amock causing them all sorts of concern, leading to all sorts of out of control behavior and absolute anxiety.. Throws off the competition... LOL

PS I never roll my shafts.....lmao!

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
0.2mm is about the thickness of 2 sheets of typing paper.

On the other hand, I remember a story about a set of bats (like 20) Louisville Slugger made for Lou Gerig that he returns because they did not "feel" right. The bats were measured and found to be 2-10 though out of specification. This is within the window of the original question of 0.2mm ~= 0.008"

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
0.2mm is almost exactly 1/128" (half of 1/64", a fourth of 1/32", an eighth of 1/16", etc.) - in case that helps to visualize it.

pj
chgo

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I feel like the main difference is the taper growth from the start at the tip that would make most difference on feel, If the tapers are similar or the same type for a 13mm to 12mm shaft I cant see there being much of an adjustment. As for visually I of course can see a difference, even from 12mm to 11.8, that I have always had an "eye for things."

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I've pondered on this question since it first showed up. Used some calipers to "see"
'xactly what it was so's to be informed of what that measurement just might be. Well,
it appear to not be a fine as frog's hair but, and this is after considerable thought, I
figure that if there were a hemorrhoid on a cockroach's butt it would cause him/her
to become constipated until the swelling went down. ...and thet's alls I gots to say about dat.

hank

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I've pondered on this question since it first showed up. Used some calipers to "see"
'xactly what it was so's to be informed of what that measurement just might be. Well,
it appear to not be a fine as frog's hair but, and this is after considerable thought, I
figure that if there were a hemorrhoid on a cockroach's butt it would cause him/her
to become constipated until the swelling went down. ...and thet's alls I gots to say about dat.

hank
A plethora of information on this site!