Just my opinion on the commentary.

RobDeBank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is the commentary for pool so bad? I know everyone loves Jay and I think he is probably the best out of all of them however I am not suggesting I enjoy his commentary either.

Jim always says the same generic complete useless garbage for the last 28037847 years now.

Jim: This guy here is the kinda guy that doesn't like to miss too many easy balls.
: This guy here doesn't fold under pressure he knows which end of the cue to use thats for sure!
: This guy here likes to win games.

Jay just always makes statements second guessing everyone's shots and saying he doesn't like them as if he can play pool better than your average A player and knows better all the time. I remember one time in a match Shane made this shot with a nice stroke and he was like man I don't think anyone else can shoot that shot... are you kidding me?

I can go on forever about this but man the commentary is awful.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish that Grady was still around--that X rated session with Keith and the Bushwacker with Grady doing the X Rated announcing would have made the whole thing more bearable to watch--I mean that would have been real good to add to what was going on--Quote's like
He was a good kid until he got it in his head too make money--and it could have gone on and on and on:thumbup:

sharkmate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst Commentary Ever!

One of the commentators was anti-American in his comments and I found that to be more repugnant than Earls behavior.:eek:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
One of the commentators was anti-American in his comments and I found that to be more repugnant than Earls behavior.:eek:

I missed out on today's matches. Which commentator was anti-American in his comments? What did he actually say to make you believe that?

Thanks,
JoeyA

BTW, on the original post, I think the target audience for the Mosconi Cup is NOT pool aficionados like AZBers, although I could be mistaken.

In defense of pocket billiard commentators all over the world, it is difficult to come with fresh material for each and every match that will appeal to the primary target audience each and every time.

I've always believed that pocket billiard commentary could be so much better with additional personnel live-feeding the commentators relative data. I'm not sure if the Mosconi Cup has this or not.

JoeyA

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There really isn't many things to talk about in the booth when talking to hardcore pool viewers. As far as Jay goes, when he says "I don't like this shot" he is right more than he is wrong. Either the shot gets missed or they get very poor position for the next 2 balls. Jay knows pool and would be a great coach, but I know he's way too smart to take that job. Johnnyt

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.no one can do commentary well on "one foul ball-in-hand" because there's no strategy

Why is the commentary for pool so bad? I know everyone loves Jay and I think he is probably the best out of all of them however I am not suggesting I enjoy his commentary either.

Jim always says the same generic complete useless garbage for the last 28037847 years now.

Jim: This guy here is the kinda guy that doesn't like to miss too many easy balls.
: This guy here doesn't fold under pressure he knows which end of the cue to use thats for sure!

Jay just always makes statements second guessing everyone's shots and saying he doesn't like them as if he can play pool better than your average A player and knows better all the time. I remember one time in a match Shane made this shot with a nice stroke and he was like man I don't think anyone else can shoot that shot... are you kidding me?

The problem is the game it's self.....no one can do commentary well on "one foul ball-in-hand" because there's no strategy.

All they can possible do is try to predict the shots and there's only two choices - "Try to run the table, or try to duck / kick for ball in hand (or not give it up)"

The Game is boring by nature, if the rules aren't changed (to 2 Shot Shoot Out) the game will remain the same.....and what a shame.

'The {Real} Game is the Teacher'

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole game suffered when 2 shot foul was eliminated--but I've beat this Dead Horse Before--It brings so much more into play and the ones now playing one shot foul,,it would take years for them to catch on too how the game was really played--so much more stratigy--

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I think it would have been fun to hear someone like Jeremy Jones in the booth. He is great to listen to. Joe Tucker would have been good as well.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Just "my" opinion is the commentary was decent, especially for a general audience.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay certainly is one of the best. I enjoyed Jay, Jim and Jerry and found them to be knowledgeable, informative and in touch with what was happening. Just another opinion.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is the game it's self.....no one can do commentary well on "one foul ball-in-hand" because there's no strategy.

All they can possible do is try to predict the shots and there's only two choices - "Try to run the table, or try to duck / kick for ball in hand (or not give it up)"

The Game is boring by nature, if the rules aren't changed (to 2 Shot Shoot Out) the game will remain the same.....and what a shame.

'The {Real} Game is the Teacher'

2 shot would be great for those in the know, but people that don't know the game aren't going to watch guys roll out half the night.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's made the game of pool into a joke......a very boring joke - "Knock Knock"

The whole game suffered when 2 shot foul was eliminated--but I've beat this Dead Horse Before--It brings so much more into play and the ones now playing one shot foul,,it would take years for them to catch on too how the game was really played--so much more stratigy--

Yes, one foul ball-in-hand is like changing the golf rules where you can "kick" the ball when in the rough....or basketball where no one can guard you half the time.....it would be silly, and it's made the game of pool into a joke......a very boring joke - "Knock Knock" :confused:

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, one foul ball-in-hand is like changing the golf rules where you can "kick" the ball when in the rough....or basketball where no one can guard you half the time.....it would be silly, and it's made the game of pool into a joke......a very boring joke - "Knock Knock" :confused:

Excuse me if this was covered and I missed it. Was two shot the original version when it was introduced? When did it change to one foul and who changed it.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right the commentary was pretty lame, JW with his cliche ridden diatribe and JH with absolutely no clue on advanced play and surprised by league level shot making made for a painful experience especially for someone that enjoys the sound of the balls clicking and the thunk of the pockets so we have to keep the sound on.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
There really isn't many things to talk about in the booth when talking to hardcore pool viewers.

its not the commentators. its that they are stating the obvious. How exciting are you going to make such an obvious game.

The game is obvious to experienced pool players; but not to beginners and the general public. I watched youtube match videos when I started playing pool...and I was completely lost! I hadn't memorized the ball-numbers by color yet. I needed Billy Incardona, Ewa Laurwence, etal who would say "he's got to pocket the blue two-ball and get in position for the red three-ball that's over on the right rail."

If we want to grow the sport (especially as a spectator sport -- advertisers don't care if you play the game or not, they just care that you're watching), we've got to do more to make it beginner-friendly.

Just "my" opinion is the commentary was decent, especially for a general audience.

Agreed 100%.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

My take on Jim Wych.....he's a pro.

He's speaking to the world when he commentates, not just our pool
world where everybody is hip.
He started in Britain where many fans didn't even play the game, but
made snooker players wealthy.
So he's speaking to people that think the 'orange crush' is what you
get when you're thirsty.

And he works well with all the color commentators, 'cause he was also
a top player.

And I like the color commentating.....that's for us pool players.

The light at the end of the tunnel?
If the game ever gets big-time....these guys are making their bones....now.

pt...<..misses Sid Waddel

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Maybe they will move to straight pool, full rack banks or one pocket if strategy is what people want.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was definitely not at my best the first two days, nursing a sore throat and sucking on lozenges so I wouldn't cough on cam. It's not easy to do your best job, knowing you must keep your comments short for fear of coughing. Fortunately I had a couple of real pros in the booth with me to carry on when I had to remain silent. I didn't really feel well until the final day. I agree that my work was not up to par for the first two days. I'd give myself a C on that. Maybe a B+ on Day Three when it was already a foregone conclusion.

There is a fine balance when doing commentary, between educating the larger audience, who may not know the game so well and also speaking to the real pool players who are very knowledgeable. I do my best to explain the intricacies of some shots, especially when extreme English or complicated position is involved. At the same time I want to be honest in my appraisal of how players are doing. When someone is melting down or getting weak it's my job to point that out. I don't hold back when criticism is warranted. You don't have to be a champion player to recognize mistakes and errors when they happen. If I didn't do this I wouldn't be doing my job.

I'm proud of the fact that (even when I was sick) I was able to point out ahead of time the more difficult shots and where problems could come up during the rack. Very often I called the miss (or position error) before the shot!

This Mosconi Cup was not an easy one for any of us, due to the fact it was basically decided on Day One. We all pretty much knew that Team USA was going down. You could see it in the very contrasting styles of the two teams, one firmly united and one not so much so. The only question was what would be the final score. And it got worse before it got better, as you all saw. It was left for us the commentators to create interest in what was a very one sided contest. That's not easy to do, trust me on that.

I've worked many Mosconi Cups and this was the hardest one by far. No question there needs to be some changes on Team USA (how about Team America!), for us to become competitive again. Thank you all for watching and supporting this event. I'd like to know how many of you watched it live on stream/television and how many saw the delayed shows on Fox Sports 2.

Last edited: