Kamui's just the best tip TODAY period.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Just installed a Kamui II.
Cut like a real pretttty nicely with titanium edged blade.
Shaped nicely with it too.
The layers are all even and tear evenly.
Bounced the jointed cue tip onto the cement floor for a few minutes so it flattens out ( straight down and on angles ).
Re-shaped on the lathe taking a layer or two out.
Plays sporty now. Ready for action.
Too bad it's not my shaft.:D

First time I saw Kamui was Zeiler's shop back in 2002 or so. Back then they were not so plentiful yet ( in the US ).
The new one I saw today actually seemed better to me.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been using them for 4-5 years too.they used to cost like $20 and you could only get them in one place.

you can't even compare them to Mooris.it is like apples and oranges.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they come in Hard,Med,Med Soft,Soft

i like Soft and Med Soft myself cut down to 4-5 layers.after a week or two of play they are plenty hard.

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
masonh said:
i've been using them for 4-5 years too.they used to cost like $20 and you could only get them in one place.

you can't even compare them to Mooris.it is like apples and oranges.
How do you mean this, Mason? As in, one is way better than the other or that they have totally different construction/feel/etc.?

Thanks.

Snookered

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Bounced the jointed cue tip onto the cement floor for a few minutes so it flattens out ( straight down and on angles ).

Will try that next time when I change my tip. I susposed the kamui tip will less proned to mushrooming?

Snookered <== also a Kamui lover

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Snookered said:
Will try that next time when I change my tip. I susposed the kamui tip will less proned to mushrooming?

Snookered <== also a Kamui lover
Yup.
You would have broken the tip that way like it's been played weeks already.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Just installed a Kamui II.
Cut like a real pretttty nicely with titanium edged blade.
Shaped nicely with it too.
The layers are all even and tear evenly.
Plays sporty now. Ready for action.
Too bad it's not my shaft.:D

First time I saw Kamui was Zeiler's shop back in 2002 or so. Back then they were not so plentiful yet ( in the US ).
The new one I saw today actually seemed better to me.

Now Joey,:eek:
How can you possibly say that when you said it's the first one you installed. I play with the moori and I tried a medium Kamui, It hit similar. I know opinions will vary but you have to at least give it some time to actually play with it.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is good to remember that everyones opinion is their own and no one's is better than anyone elses.

Also, because something is more expensive than something else, that only means it costs more.

As far as tips go, until you have worn out the tip you are using, you can't really form a completely reasoned opinion.

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Paul Dayton said:
It is good to remember that everyones opinion is their own and no one's is better than anyone elses.

Also, because something is more expensive than something else, that only means it costs more.

As far as tips go, until you have worn out the tip you are using, you can't really form a completely reasoned opinion.
Before I disagree with this, I should ask you what your opinion/definition of "worn out" is.

Gene

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what Paul means is you haven't given fair time to try until you've used the tip for a while. People in general aren't prone to like change. When I first tried a Kamui, I hated it. I was like this plays like shit. But that was a combination of a crap cue and an amateur tip job. I put one of one of my cues and couldn't believe it.

Of course with the size and hardness of a Kamui, wearing it down is gonna take a long time...

dave sutton

Banned
I have to disagree with the entire statement. I think eberestbis the best. Hands down. I played with a friends tim scruggs that had kamui and IMO they played terrible. Moori is the bottom of the latter i feel anyway.

To each his own.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Michael Webb said:
Now Joey,:eek:
How can you possibly say that when you said it's the first one you installed. I play with the moori and I tried a medium Kamui, It hit similar. I know opinions will vary but you have to at least give it some time to actually play with it.
First Kamui II I've installed. I played with the orginal Kamui for months.
I don't like the new Mooris at all.
Have had some delamination.

Last edited:

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worn out means it is time to change the tip because it is no longer thick enough to protect the ferrule.

Did it harden. Did it mushroom. Did it fray? Did it flatten? Did it last? Did it delaminate? Did it hold chalk? Did it continue to play the same? Do you break with it? Can you play 3-cushion on a cold table with it? Each of these questions need to be answered before you can tell me about a tip. No tip will do it all but some do parts better than others.

All around I prefer Talisman but that is just me. Moori's are okay. I bought and got rid of a tin of Kamuui's, too loud. I don't like Blue Diamonds. Le PRo's are too inconsistent, etc., etc., etc.

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
LoGiC said:
I think what Paul means is you haven't given fair time to try until you've used the tip for a while. People in general aren't prone to like change. When I first tried a Kamui, I hated it. I was like this plays like shit. But that was a combination of a crap cue and an amateur tip job. I put one of one of my cues and couldn't believe it.

Of course with the size and hardness of a Kamui, wearing it down is gonna take a long time...

My definition of "worn out", is when the tip has ceased to be the original "hardness" for which it was intended and has passed the broken in stage.

I'm not too sure who came out with the guideline that you should replace a tip when it gets down to the thickness of a nickel, but I believe that to be oversimplified.

If you play with a soft tip, how can it still be soft after hitting 1000 balls. It doesn't take too long to hit 1000 balls by the way. Somewhere around that many balls, give or take, you have the "broken in" stage. Because of being compressed from hitting ball after ball, that tip needs to be replaced long before it gets to the nickel thickness if you truly enjoy playing with a soft tip. The same can be said about a medium tip.

I agree with Joey and others that the Kamui tip is an excellent tip, not only from a player's prospective, but they can give most tips the 7 and the breaks when it comes to how clean they install.

Gene

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All around I prefer Talisman but that is just me

wow,i didn't know people still used Talisman.

Kamui's are too loud????

wow again,everyone i talk to has the opposite impression.are you sure they were Kamuis?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
masonh said:
wow,i didn't know people still used Talisman.

Kamui's are too loud????

wow again,everyone i talk to has the opposite impression.are you sure they were Kamuis?
I'm not too crazy about Talismans.

DiamondDave

Yes, I rather like Snake!
Silver Member
I'll agree with Paul on what he just said.

I got a few Kamui's and put one on my shaft a few months ago. I loved it! It didn't flatten, mushroom, miscue or anything. After about a month and a half or so I noticed that it still played well but was more prone to miscues. I've always used the same chalk, chalk between every shot, stay down, take my time etc but I was now miscueing on shots that I was never miscueing on before. All in all I do like Kamui's a lot but I my initial impression of them is different that how I feel about them now. The first one I used was a medium and now I am trying a Soft to see how I like that one. I think the soft is better suited to my play style.

Dave

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Paul Dayton said:
Worn out means it is time to change the tip because it is no longer thick enough to protect the ferrule.

Did it harden. Did it mushroom. Did it fray? Did it flatten? Did it last? Did it delaminate? Did it hold chalk? Did it continue to play the same? Do you break with it? Can you play 3-cushion on a cold table with it? Each of these questions need to be answered before you can tell me about a tip. No tip will do it all but some do parts better than others.

All around I prefer Talisman but that is just me. Moori's are okay. I bought and got rid of a tin of Kamuui's, too loud. I don't like Blue Diamonds. Le PRo's are too inconsistent, etc., etc., etc.
Note: I saw this post after I submitted my post before this.

While we may not completely disagree regarding your first statement, I think the blue highlighted area is on point.

Gene

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I love the Kamui tips. I personally feel they are the best layered tip available in medium & soft varieties. I like SuperPro for hard. But compared to Moori, the Kamui I feel is superior by a long shot. I have never had a Moori I liked. I have never had a Kamui I didn't like. The difference for me comes at the table. I trust the Kamui & can depend on it in sticky shots requiring far off center ball shots. Where the Mooris always miscued for me, the Kamuis perform trustfully. I still like SuperPro better than either, but that's just my personal preference of a hard feel.

I play with all varieties of tips, especially the ones I offer on my cues. Since Sumos went sucky, I have been searching for a new tip to make standard on my cues. I first chose SuperPros because they are solid & trusty, but some people couldn't get used to the sharp, raw hardness feel. So I began looking for something to offer in softer feel. The Kamui impressed me so much more than any other tips out right now that I picked up about $1600 worth just to be sure I had a few years worth of consistent quality. I'm sure they'll go down in quality as demand rises, just like every other good tip in the past, so I bought a bulk of them while they are still good.