keilwood for suckers

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I have a torrefied spruce topped Gibson J45 and it sounds amazing. The torrefied wood is meant to mimic what very aged wood sounds like without the centuries long wait.

Enamored with torrefied guitar woods, I bought a kielwood shaft. It was too light for my preferences and I couldn’t really see much benefit in it. But it was interesting to try.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I play with one . Stays smoother and cleaner than regular maple , if that means anything .
Not gonna argue the hit . They come in different grades , weight and grain pattern.

Attachments

• DSC03792.JPG
    DSC03792.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 170

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guys that roast the wood here in Canada spent a year with a 2 million$ kiln to get the perfect tone to satisfy Fender and Gibson guitar . Eventually they got the right amount of time and temperature to create the best tone . The wood is roasted under vacum for 3 days .They say the wood makes the insturments sound 100 yeras old . They buy well in excess of $100,000 at a time , because of the tone, and most of it they dont have to stain . I have sold tons of maple in my day, this wood is superior to white maple at every turn . Much more stable , can be worked faster than regular , much better tone, and in MHO it hits much better in general . I have played with all kinds of shafts , I'm hooked on this toriffied wood , and play with a curly maple shaft , and love it .

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
My guys that roast the wood here in Canada spent a year with a 2 million$ kiln to get the perfect tone to satisfy Fender and Gibson guitar . Eventually they got the right amount of time and temperature to create the best tone . The wood is roasted under vacum for 3 days .They say the wood makes the insturments sound 100 yeras old . They buy well in excess of $100,000 at a time , because of the tone, and most of it they dont have to stain . I have sold tons of maple in my day, this wood is superior to white maple at every turn . Much more stable , can be worked faster than regular , much better tone, and in MHO it hits much better in general . I have played with all kinds of shafts , I'm hooked on this toriffied wood , and play with a curly maple shaft , and love it .
As in my prior post - the torrefied red spruce top on my J45 is absolutely incredible. Dry, crisp, airy. Sounds like it’s ancient.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting, Steve Mizerak always voiced the opinion that he wanted a minimum 4 ounce shaft for straight pool, but less than 4 ounces for rotation games. He felt that the heavier shaft kept the cue ball more in line on shorter shots when playing mostly half table for 14.1. I know a lot of old timers had two different weight maple shafts - one for 14.1 and one for rotation games.

Szamboti and Balabushka cues were more favored by many top 14.1 guys. Back in the day, I recall a lot of 13MM + shafts being used.
Mike, Howdy;

Don't forget about the cloth and the balls they were using 'way back when'.

hank

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically Kielwood is just baking the wood in a vacuum oven to enhance sublimation. Water can not exist in a solid form below .006 atm. Adding heat of course will raise that pressure.

Torrefied is an interesting name for the process. Evangelista Torricelli was an Italian guy that demonstrated the first barometer by walking up a hill with some mercury strapped to his back. He probably never dreamed of his name one day being used as a process to dry wood. Torr is also a unit of measurement common in science to measure pressure. 1 Torr is 1/760 of atmosphere. The dark side of the moon has a total pressure of about 2e-12 Torr.

Nerd mode off. Sorry.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the better you play the more you adjust for deflection and dont even think about it.
a lighter weight in the front of the stick is what makes it less of an effect. we all agree on that. i hope.

it has nothing to do with the material of the shaft or the sound of it. you simply get less deflection with a lighter front shaft.

thats good and bad. if your shaft hits with less force than you have to stroke harder to get the cue ball to go where you want. anytime you stroke harder you lose some measure of accuracy. is it an equal tradeoff. i dont know as it will depend on each person.
plus when you get equipment that you believe makes you play better you are more confident and do play better.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I have a torrefied spruce topped Gibson J45 and it sounds amazing. The torrefied wood is meant to mimic what very aged wood sounds like without the centuries long wait.

Enamored with torrefied guitar woods, I bought a kielwood shaft. It was too light for my preferences and I couldn’t really see much benefit in it. But it was interesting to try.
One of my ancestors made very high grade violins. They used many century old wood from bridge timbers from England. I'm guessing definitely much easier to find torrefied wood!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the better you play the more you adjust for deflection and dont even think about it.
a lighter weight in the front of the stick is what makes it less of an effect. we all agree on that. i hope.

it has nothing to do with the material of the shaft or the sound of it. you simply get less deflection with a lighter front shaft.

thats good and bad. if your shaft hits with less force than you have to stroke harder to get the cue ball to go where you want. anytime you stroke harder you lose some measure of accuracy. is it an equal tradeoff. i dont know as it will depend on each person.
plus when you get equipment that you believe makes you play better you are more confident and do play better.
Agreed. The same can also be said Ivory ferrules. People like the "hit" and "feel" of ivory ferrules, but they add end mass and more cue ball deflection. There are many lighter options available, but those that like ivory accept the trade off.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The word you're looking for to describe that sound is beautiful. :) Kielwood also sound really good with hard tips. Like those wooden xylophones you played in music class as a kid.
Sound is very underrated here. It matters, the expectation of what you're about to hear, how it sounds when you hit it. I definitely think ears play a role in creating consistency.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually many players wear headphones or earbuds with music when playing. They probably don't hear the tip hit the ball. I never understood playing with music blasting in your head.
I like listening to music when I'm playing, but not with headphones. Not to mention in most tournaments you're not allowed to even wear them.

I guess the sounds of the tip hitting the cue ball, cue ball hitting the object ball, and the object ball hitting the back of the pocket and rolling through the ball return is music to my ears

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Sound is very underrated here. It matters, the expectation of what you're about to hear, how it sounds when you hit it. I definitely think ears play a role in creating consistency.
Agreed - that was actually the main reason I wanted to try roasted maple, as weird that might sound. The sound of a cue is one the biggest factors for me. I can't remember where I read this, but Dennis Searing once said that he could tell Mizerak was playing by the sound of the cue going through the cue ball and the sound of the OB into the pocket. Apocryphal, probably, but calls attention to the importance of well-constructed cue, a good stroke (in the Miz's case, one of the greatest), and the sound of a cue ball hitting dead center of the pocket. I think it was one of the TAR interviews with Searing.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Agreed - that was actually the main reason I wanted to try roasted maple, as weird that might sound. The sound of a cue is one the biggest factors for me. I can't remember where I read this, but Dennis Searing once said that he could tell Mizerak was playing by the sound of the cue going through the cue ball and the sound of the OB into the pocket. Apocryphal, probably, but calls attention to the importance of well-constructed cue, a good stroke (in the Miz's case, one of the greatest), and the sound of a cue ball hitting dead center of the pocket. I think it was one of the TAR interviews with Searing.
That really brought back a memory. When Mike Caralla was at the table you could hear the difference. The sound of the balls hitting the pockets was just different. It was not my imagination, it was different.