laminated shaft?

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I just finished a shaft i mad from a flat laminated blank. This is the second one ive made and im very impressed with how it hits and plays. So i asked myselfn i said "self, why dont i see other cue makers using these?" (The reference to self was stolen from BHQ, thanks Brent, lol.) It seems like these would be much easier to use than regular maple shafts, since you dont have to wait a month in between passes. You can cut em down pretty fast, they play good, and hit as solid as any maple shaft ive ever used or made. So why arent they more common? Im thinking about making them my standard shaft.

Joe

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
you dont have to wait a month in between passes.
I got no problems seasoning one-piece shafts for 4 years at least.
Flat lam/plywood ????
Too heavy b/c of too much glue.
Each laminate is different from the other ( they don't come from the same board. Notice the color differences ? ).
Their hit varies too much depending if the lams are vertical or horizontal when shooting.
I never liked their hit. Too stiff and too dry to me.
And they are ugly to me. Might make for OK handles though.

Pie laminates are much better imo.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I must have just gotten lucky then. The first shaft has a 1/2 inch threaded titan ferrule, and the one i just finished has a 1/2 threaded ivory ferrule and they both have a beautiful tone to them. They have a nice crisp "ponk" to them.

Joe

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Flat lam/plywood ????
Each laminate is different from the other ( they don't come from the same board. Notice the color differences ? ).
Their hit varies too much depending if the lams are vertical or horizontal when shooting.

They are also known to warp easily. The layers act like a dielectric strip in a thermostat. Each layer is different and can expand and contract at a different rate than the other layers causing warping to occur. Plus all the things Joey mentioned! It's better to take your time and give the wood time between cuts to relieve internal stresses and dry evenly as it's taken down. Shortcuts seldom work out when you want quality!

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
Ive tried them and I think they play ok. Just read reviews about the muecci red and black dot shafts they are basically the same thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are no more prone to warping than normal maple.
I have used them for many years on my jump break cues.
My son plays with them. I think they are a little too heavy and stiff for normal play. But he loves them.

tsp&b

Silver Member
I have worked with them for some time and have never had any major problems. I offer them as an option.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
I just finished a shaft i mad from a flat laminated blank. This is the second one ive made and im very impressed with how it hits and plays. So i asked myselfn i said "self, why dont i see other cue makers using these?" (The reference to self was stolen from BHQ, thanks Brent, lol.) It seems like these would be much easier to use than regular maple shafts, since you dont have to wait a month in between passes. You can cut em down pretty fast, they play good, and hit as solid as any maple shaft ive ever used or made. So why arent they more common? Im thinking about making them my standard shaft.

Joe

you gotta watch out for that self stuff joe
my "self" has steered me down the wrong road more than once ;)

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Flat lam/plywood ????

4 years???? Do you really think that is necessary?????

Kim

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
you gotta watch out for that self stuff joe
my "self" has steered me down the wrong road more than once ;)

I know what you mean! Ol "self" kept telling me to have another shot the other day, lol. And i listened! Damn drunk "self" lol.

Joe

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
The first shaft i left pretty fat, at a full 13mm and it did seem a bit heavy, but the second shaft i took down to 12.7mm and pulled the taper back farther and it plays pretty good so far. Im not changing anything just yet, and i still have a couple hundred maple shafts in the works, but i was just looking at another option or idea for a shaft. Seems like half like em and half dont. This might be one of those subjective topics. Lol. I guess in the end its up to the customer anyways, so ill just keep on doing what im doing.

Joe

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one that is cut to final size now. Will install the ferrule and tap the threads soon as I'm curious about these shafts. I would imagine that they hit differently according to "grain" orientation. I would also assume glue is a factor in weight. I would leave it as an option from a business standpoint. Let the customer have the choice rather than limiting the options and killing a potential sale. Just my thoughts...

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Joe

Just because they happen to be straight today does not mean they'll stay that way but I hope yours will remain straight.

I've cut them slowly along with the regular Maple and ranging over five plus years, and coming from two different suppliers, they have moved after hanging for two years and straight, and even a year after finished they have shown some movement. They were suppose to be for break cues, thus I switched to Purple heart shafts. I've also had good luck with the radial blanks .

I'm not a believer of climate controlled environment for shaft wood while it goes through the slow process from squares to finish size. I want the blanks to move so I can throw them away and save time , so let it happen while here, rather than.....

It could be my luck :) or where they came from.

Mario

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have offered these for 15 years. I've never had one warp. They are a little bit heavier & play a little bit stiffer. However for long straight shots...they rock. I find that it is not as easy to draw the Q with these, as it is with solid maple. I think, that in the future you will see these used as standard shaft. One of the 3 Qs I play with has 2 of these shafts...JER

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The key to creating cue ball action with the laminated shafts is softer ferrule material that has some spring action to it. Predator and Meucci both do that.