Las Vegas Open

playpool2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Van Boening vs Hijikata match, the breaking format changed. It was not winner breaks. It was alternating break. Who decided that?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the multi set format but I used to watch a lot of tennis so I’m very used to the general idea from that. And it does match up to how I play with friends, we’ll usually do shorter sets and a few of them rather than one really long set.

I do not like the shoot outs though, in any way. It’s boring to watch.

OverTheNut

Similar to any fast player, you’d like them to slow down, but that’s not their game.
Exactly. If she'd come into this tournament and taken ages on every shot I doubt she'd have won it. Not her game.

Always does my head in when a fast player misses a shot and people predictably say 'they should have taken their time'. This after they've just run the table 5 times in a row at the same pace!

What about when a desperately slow player misses a shot. Should they have taken even longer?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the Van Boening vs Hijikata match, the breaking format changed. It was not winner breaks. It was alternating break. Who decided that?
It seems to have been Kydoimos.

I think the confusion was noted before, with neither the players nor the ref noticing the problem.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think CF is the future, but I took out my old shafts for my Schuler and was happier with my game than I’ve been in a long time.

There is no doubt it's the future, it's current situation. For pro's and very high level players I think it could make a difference because it adds another level of consistency. For people who have been playing for a long time and don't have the skills to properly make the change I don't think they're needed.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The players in the event knew what the format was and still chose to play so there’s that. But, yeah I’m sure every single one of them would rather just play a normal longer set if they were asked anonymously knowing their answer would never be released to sponsors.

I actually like the multiple sets, what I don't like is the shootout. Just play three sets and call it good?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. If she'd come into this tournament and taken ages on every shot I doubt she'd have won it. Not her game.

Always does my head in when a fast player misses a shot and people predictably say 'they should have taken their time'. This after they've just run the table 5 times in a row at the same pace!

What about when a desperately slow player misses a shot. Should they have taken even longer?

Agreed, I play fast and if I get slowed down it completely screws me up. A pause at the end of my back stroke completely throws me off, it's about rhythm.

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
I think CF is the future, but I took out my old shafts for my Schuler and was happier with my game than I’ve been in a long time.
I really don't think CF is the future. I think most of the players only use them because of representation. On that I could be wrong but that's what I believe.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't think CF is the future. I think most of the players only use them because of representation. On that I could be wrong but that's what I believe.

I'm not sure what the pool scene is like where you live but where I live everyone has CF, even those that don't know why. Case in point, I sold a cue to a guy about 2 years ago then about a year ago we were chatting and he mentioned he bought a CF cue. We started having a discussion about different shaft types and he was completely unaware that CF is, generally, low deflection, nor did he know what low deflection means. He bought it because it looked cool. He'll never be a top player locally, let alone regionally, but let's say he could be, he goes and buys a CF shaft, gets used to it, improves, continues to buy CF shafts. Eventually, he would had a serious problem going back to wood.

IMHO, there is no reason 99% of pool players need a CF shaft. Again, there are certain people that may be able to utilize the benefits but most won't be able to.

And for fun, I noticed SVB uses Masters chalk, at least he was today in the Apex doubles tournament. There's nothing wrong with Masters chalk or wood, they worked just fine for more than a century.

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
I'm not sure what the pool scene is like where you live but where I live everyone has CF, even those that don't know why. Case in point, I sold a cue to a guy about 2 years ago then about a year ago we were chatting and he mentioned he bought a CF cue. We started having a discussion about different shaft types and he was completely unaware that CF is, generally, low deflection, nor did he know what low deflection means. He bought it because it looked cool. He'll never be a top player locally, let alone regionally, but let's say he could be, he goes and buys a CF shaft, gets used to it, improves, continues to buy CF shafts. Eventually, he would had a serious problem going back to wood.

IMHO, there is no reason 99% of pool players need a CF shaft. Again, there are certain people that may be able to utilize the benefits but most won't be able to.

And for fun, I noticed SVB uses Masters chalk, at least he was today in the Apex doubles tournament. There's nothing wrong with Masters chalk or wood, they worked just fine for more than a century.
CF shafts are not low deflection, they are no deflection. Alot of people buy them for the hype. Alot of people believe its improving their game. It's not for me but if others like it and they feel like they help then more power to them. I will say the Predator promo video where the gentleman says that all wood shafts will be gone in 20 years was ridiculous. Everyone will switch to CF because wood shafts will no longer be available. That was the dumbest remark anyone could have made. Pechauer has his own forest. Literally. There's cue makers that have enough shaft wood to last for the next 30 years. Watch the Ginacue video made by TAR.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF shafts are not low deflection, they are no deflection. Alot of people buy them for the hype. Alot of people believe its improving their game. It's not for me but if others like it and they feel like they help then more power to them. I will say the Predator promo video where the gentleman says that all wood shafts will be gone in 20 years was ridiculous. Everyone will switch to CF because wood shafts will no longer be available. That was the dumbest remark anyone could have made. Pechauer has his own forest. Literally. There's cue makers that have enough shaft wood to last for the next 30 years. Watch the Ginacue video made by TAR.

CF shafts are low deflection but I agree with everything else you said.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bad information warning... CF is not no deflection, no such thing is possible. That's just physics.

check out Dr Dave and the facts instead of some keyboard warrior that has no clue

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started it, I can talk about it. Watching the mix doubles right now. Really interesting.

I love that mixed doubles, Predator did a good thing with that. What a great format. Didn't have to watch them all but watched the SVB/Fisher vs Styer/Felinova match, good stuff. I will say, there was bit too much mansplaining going on, all four of them are pro's, let them shoot their game.

Tennis has been like this for decades. You’ll see quite often a player tank the set in tennis if they’re down 2 breaks and reserve the energy for the next set.

Do I like this for pool? I’m not there yet, but it’s growing on me.
So the more games you add to the length of the set the closer you are to winning the set. I mean, we aren’t taking about being behind 8-0 we are talking about being behind 3 or 4 games. Who reading this hasn’t won sets down 3 or 4 games? Also comparing it to tennis is extremely silly. A tennis rally can go on for quite a long time for a single point. The equivalent in rotation pool doesn’t exist.

Stop mailing in games. Losers.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s like a reset. It’s 4-1 race to 5. Would you rather still be behind 4-2 if you won another game or be up 1-0 in the next set after you allow them to take it then win the next game? Now they are playing from behind. I’d personally rather not play from behind. It’s strategy
It is only a scoring reset.

Oh, and a different game
Tennis has been like this for decades. You’ll see quite often a player tank the set in tennis if they’re down 2 breaks and reserve the energy for the next set.

Do I like this for pool? I’m not there yet, but it’s growing on me.
No...they play fn tennis the way fn tennis is played in tennis. They don't hit a single shot for the point (ace notwithstanding)!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is only a scoring reset.

Oh, and a different game

No...they play fn tennis the way fn tennis is played in tennis. They don't hit a single shot for the point (ace notwithstanding)!
You missed what I was responding to. I was talking about the fact that the existing strategy due to the set concept exists in tennis, and it exists in this set concept of this tournament. I already said I didn’t like this format.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know people seem to like it and will defend it but I agree. early on when you do a shoot out after 2 sets I guess I get to speed things up but if your going to do 3 sets just play it out. No need for the shoot out. I guess predator thinks it generates pressure but I’m not a fan.
We all thought Races to Five were way too short with the MC, and now we have Races to Four here. Difference is they play Two Out of Three sets and not a single race. Plus it's Ten Ball and not 9-Ball. I agree though that the third set should just be played out at 3-3. Nothing more exciting than a hill-hill game!

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
We all thought Races to Five were way too short with the MC, and now we have Races to Four here. Difference is they play Two Out of Three sets and not a single race. Plus it's Ten Ball and not 9-Ball. I agree though that the third set should just be played out at 3-3. Nothing more exciting than a hill-hill game!
Agreed. Hill-hill is great drama.