Lee Brett Video

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Good post. The truth is that the amount of "followthrough" has no bearing on the effect with the CB. That effect is predetermined at contact with the CB (CB leaves the tip after 1/1000th of a second). Certainly decelerating the cuestick can cause problems with speed control, which is why we develop a standard 'range of motion'...which can be a pendulum swing or a piston stroke. A pendulum is easier to repeat and very likely more accurate because it's a simpler movement of the cue, and doesn't involve the shoulder (which is a ball and socket, which can easily steer the cue).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

How about kill shots ?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
How about kill shots ?

Refer back to post #11.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5299961&postcount=11

Outside of the equipment and equipment conditions, the only things that affect what the cue ball does and how it reacts are:
1. Where the cue ball is struck
2. How hard the cue ball is struck
3. The angle at which the cue ball is struck (the elevation of the cue)

This applies to kill shots as well as every other legal shot that is possible in pool because there are no exceptions, ever. All the cue ball ever knows is how hard it was hit, where it was hit, and at what angle it was hit. The cue ball never knows and is never influenced by your wrist, your grip, your follow through, your acceleration, your deceleration, or anything else that anyone could possibly list aside from 1, 2, or 3 above.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I happened across a video on youtube, I'm sure all you guys have seen it a million times, but never the less, in seeing it I had a question.

At about 7:30 into the video he talks about what happens if you don't stroke completely through the shot. It comes up short. This is absolutely true, something that I've been aware of forever, but ... the question .... And I'd love to hear from Dr. Dave and / or Bob Jewett on this .... Why?

Why does the shot come up short? If the CB is on the correct line ... why does that happen. I know it does, and it is something of wonder as to why. I can only assume the CB doesn't follow the correct line. Even so .. it still begs the question, specifically, why?

It is an interesting phenomena. In fact I'll add that if you are using a bit of outside english, going too far through the shot seems to result in over cutting it sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCl3gtp2FUY
It looks like others have covered this fairly well already, but I'll chime in since you asked for my input.

If one is hitting a draw shot (as Lee is doing in the video) and one decelerates into the CB (e.g., by not "finishing" the stroke, in which case the follow-through might be shortened), the CB will have less speed and less backspin than expected. Both of these things would definitely contribute to additional cut-induced throw (CIT) which would cause the OB to come up short of the pocket, as Lee suggests. Also, CIT has the largest possible effect for a 1/2-ball-hit shot like Lee is hitting. For more info, see the resources in items 19-22 on the squirt/swerve/throw effects resource page.

As others have pointed out, what happens during the follow-through, after the CB is already gone, cannot possibly have any direct affect on the shot since the CB is already gone. Howerver, the follow through is a strong indicator of what the stroke is doing into the CB, which does matter. For more info, see the follow-through resource page.

Regards,
Dave