Legends of Pool

Jagr Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know, factually, who won ESPN's Legends of Pool that was broadcast @ 1986....??
I've searched Google and ESPN's web-site to no avail...!!!

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe ESPN only did three of them in 1982 through to 1984 but icbw. The winners were: Willie Mosconi (‘82), Luther Lassiter (‘83) and Jimmy Moore (‘84). Never heard about any subsequent ESPN Legends events

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I actually attended one of them in Atlantic City and still can't remember who won. The Legends events were good fun.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I actually attended one of them in Atlantic City and still can't remember who won. The Legends events were good fun.
If you were in Atlantic City, it was Willie Mosconi winning in 1982 at Harrah's. If you there in 1983, it was the Claridge, with Luther Lassiter, being the winner.

Bonus point, if you at the Catskills, New York, 1984, Jimmie Moore was the winner.

All the best,
WW

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you were in Atlantic City, it was Willie Mosconi winning in 1982 at Harrah's. If you there in 1983, it was the Claridge, with Luther Lassiter, being the winner.

Bonus point, if you at the Catskills, New York, 1984, Jimmie Moore was the winner.

All the best,
WW
I was at Harrah's, so I guess I attended the 1982 edition.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know, factually, who won ESPN's Legends of Pool that was broadcast @ 1986....??
I've searched Google and ESPN's web-site to no avail...!!!
That's easy to find out; just email Allen Hopkins He'll be able to instantly tell you; he's got a razor-sharp memory. He commentated the great majority of them. In fact, as I recall -- all of them. Message him by phone or email here:

https://superbilliardsexpo.com/contact/

Btw, a Super Expo is scheduled for the coming April.

Arnaldo

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's easy to find out; just email Allen Hopkins He'll be able to instantly tell you; he's got a razor-sharp memory. He commentated the great majority of them. In fact, as I recall -- all of them. Message him by phone or email here:

https://superbilliardsexpo.com/contact/

Btw, a Super Expo is scheduled for the coming April.

Arnaldo
Hopkins is the one that called Mosconi Marsconi.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing to do with his being deeply knowledgeable, immersed in, (and highly contributory to) professional pool for five decades. The "Marsconi" pronunciation thing -- and dozens of other equally Irish-inflected east-Jersey ones were not uncommon in some NJ neighborhoods and rooms where Allen grew up and played. Miz had a few -- actually entertainingly lyrical -- ones via years in the Elizabeth-area Jersey rooms.

Arnaldo

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing to do with his being deeply knowledgeable, immersed in, (and highly contributory to) professional pool for five decades. The "Marsconi" pronunciation thing -- and dozens of other equally Irish-inflected east-Jersey ones were not uncommon in some NJ neighborhoods and rooms where Allen grew up and played. Miz had a few -- actually entertainingly lyrical -- ones via years in the Elizabeth-area Jersey rooms.

Arnaldo
I grew up in N.J. and couldn't stand the way some people spoke.
Marsconi ,Pizzer (Pizza),soder (soda) areaer (area) and so on.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in N.J. and couldn't stand the way some people spoke.
Marsconi ,Pizzer (Pizza),soder (soda) areaer (area) and so on.
Some eccentric Philly ones annoy non-locals: "pewst office" "atteeetude" "Sa'erday" (for Saturday). I won't go into the beauties I heard and osmosis-acquired in my East New York (Brooklyn) rooms. Some took me years to shake and pronounce correctly.

Arnaldo

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Northeast NJ. 14 miles from midtown. Forever my mother was saying, "don't ever be one of those, deez, dems and dozers" So I learned to speak proper English, when home.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Northeast NJ. 14 miles from midtown. Forever my mother was saying, "don't ever be one of those, deez, dems and dozers" So I learned to speak proper English, when home.
I'm certain your mom would have known, as our family did -- that Hoboken-born Sinatra (same accent as Brooklyn-ese) sang with immaculately perfect diction, yet off-mic -- in general non-Show-biz casual conversation -- was invariably a DD&D man and quite comfortable with it, as all we native NYC-area guys with rough beginnings were.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, dat accent comes from da Jamokes gettin lost on the Path trains going to da Clambroth House.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He always called Efren, Efern, I know he was corrected at least 1,000 times , so it was intentional.
I asked myself why, and the only logical answer was that if he called them by some other name , they were not as intimidating.
He was stealing some of their mojo.