"Little" Joe Villalpando--Local News Feature

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I haven't been posting much on AZB lately, but I thought this was worth taking a few moments to highlight. A year or two back, our local TV station did a feature on my friend "Little" Joe. Someone uploaded it to youtube, so please take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxL46t-Zh6Y

They mention that Joe travels the country teaching. That's very true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Not only does Joe travel to his students, where he will often spend a week or two with them, he has many more students that travel to see him. One of his latest students traveled from Moscow, Russia for a two week stint in the Quad Cities. Another has made several treks from China.

The feature also didn't delve into Joe's dedication to his students. No student is treated as a "number" or "just another job". Joe takes pride in his students, so he keeps working until they have fully grasped the concepts. I admire his giving nature & his integrity.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I have both of Joe's videos and they're great. I'd love to have the opportunity to get a chance to spend a few days at the table with him. He seems like he would be a very patient teacher.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have both of Joe's videos and they're great. I'd love to have the opportunity to get a chance to spend a few days at the table with him. He seems like he would be a very patient teacher.

you beat me to saying the exact same thing
:thumbup:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been posting much on AZB lately, but I thought this was worth taking a few moments to highlight. A year or two back, our local TV station did a feature on my friend "Little" Joe. Someone uploaded it to youtube, so please take a look.

They mention that Joe travels the country teaching. That's very true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Not only does Joe travel to his students, where he will often spend a week or two with them, he has many more students that travel to see him. One of his latest students traveled from Moscow, Russia for a two week stint in the Quad Cities. Another has made several treks from China.

The feature also didn't delve into Joe's dedication to his students. No student is treated as a "number" or "just another job". Joe takes pride in his students, so he keeps working until they have fully grasped the concepts. I admire his giving nature & his integrity.

Great good news story. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow thats great(i have to watch it later) little Joe is THE MAN, we go way back to 87 met at hardtimes bellflower, hooked up and robbed Sacramento together, i was the steer man, we made out well, he asked me to continue on the road with him-stupidest thing move i ever mane in pool, i didnt go. we got along like peas and carrots and the week we spent together i learned tons. I had long hair, mullet, joe looked like joe, nobody ever figured we were working together, and we did well.

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
Little Joe is a great guy, I enjoy every time I get a chance to talk.
Frank

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I got a lot of indirect knowledge through TheSleeve. I believe Joe taught the whole Behnke familiy quite a bit. I believe they do all the shooting in his DVD's. Joe is the man!!! I've been told he responsible for some VERY talented players around the world!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Pool IQ

/
\
Mark, we are sure lucky to live in the same local area as joe.
Here is a link to a older post of mine with pics of joe expanding Randy's POOLIQ.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=317641
-
Rob.M

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I believe Joe taught the whole Behnke familiy quite a bit. I believe they do all the shooting in his DVD's. Joe is the man!!! I've been told he responsible for some VERY talented players around the world!
You are correct about his impact on the Behnkes...but that's what happens when eager & talented students meet an eager & talented teacher. He's such a big part of their pool life that he's traveled with them to the US Open & over to Germany for the World Juniors.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Joe

The only things I remember is Joe, Chris and the rabbit traveling in the cadillac.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe is top shelf.................

I knew Joe back in the 70's.

I was on the road back then and came down to Iowa playing.

I met all the top players back then. Don McCoy, Scott Kito, and Joe Villalpando just to mention a few.

When I came down to Davenport I was pleasantly surprised to see what Joe has done with his teachings. And when a person does something for a long time they tend to get really good at it.

I can see this is the case with Joe. Plus he just has that burning passion for the game that is a vital part of being a great teacher.

It was really cool to pick up a friendship from 30 years ago and just start talking like it was yesterday.

Any of these young guys that want to learn the ins and outs of the game and the competitive side of the game need to hang around Joe. He'll take care of them for sure.

I'm proud to be a friend of Joes and wish him luck in his upcoming surgery on that right eye of his.

Joe is a living legend for sure and everyone that can should take advantage of anything he he has to say while he's still with us.

Keep it up Joe. Thanks for making this pool world a better place for us all.

Last edited:

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lil Joe is terrific

I doubt if it's possible to meet a better pool coach than Joe Villalpondo. I also doubt if it's possible to meet a better person than Joe Villalpondo. I've known Joe for many years, one of my very best friends and pool buddies. Buy his videos, both will make you a better player !

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
he's been called alotta things....

100% class, GREAT guy, etc. etc. etc.

Always love talking with Joe; his stories are EPIC!!! lol And thanks for that slick lil position shot you showed me a few weeks ago in Peoria. Hope we can talk for many more years to come!!!!

Robb

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little Joe

I met Joe in Super Billiards Expo about ten years ago.He is the best teacher of Pool IMO.Real easy to talk to. Also a great person.Keep up the good work , Joe. FastEddieF. Here

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the world of Little Joe.

He is laid back, gracious, engaging, enthusiatic, humble and honorable.

And, oh yeah, he's got that kicking thing going on that puts a big smile on my face. :smile: :thumbup: :cool:

I look forward to seeing him at sbx's where he and I have been able to do some kicking matchups. definitely a highlight for me.

kep on keeping on Little Joe.

thanks mosconiac for sharing this link.

best,
brian kc

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Thanks for the youtube link.

I knew my being Little Joe's chauffeur for all those years when he lived down here in New Orleans would eventually pay off for me. :thumbup:

cantplayalick

**** you...PAY ME
Silver Member
Bump this one to the top! A little birdie has told me there is more great informational videos on the way, and there NEEDS to be. These are good for any level player, and will guide the beginners right to the winners bracket! It will shorten the learning curve and put you on the right path faster than the average bear. If you EVER get the chance make sure to stop his home room in Bettendorf,Iowa and get some lessons up close and personal and you will NEVER forget and cannot put a price on the knowledge.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I'm very grateful that Joe has been my friend for about 10 years now. He's a fine teacher and a great guy. I love being around him. His warmth fills the room.