Making the wingball everytime

So I'm gambling with somebody the other day playing 'rack your own' 9-ball. I'm sort of a rack mechcanic and the table was racking good so I litterally made the wing ball every single time I broke in 3 sets. My oppenent got really mad and acted as if I was a cheater. I wasn't cheating, I was just freezing the correct balls and reading the remaining gaps. Should I feel guilty for knowing more about the rack than my oppenent? Am I in the wrong here?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm gambling with somebody the other day playing 'rack your own' 9-ball. I'm sort of a rack mechcanic and the table was racking good so I litterally made the wing ball every single time I broke in 3 sets. My oppenent got really mad and acted as if I was a cheater. I wasn't cheating, I was just freezing the correct balls and reading the remaining gaps. Should I feel guilty for knowing more about the rack than my oppenent? Am I in the wrong here?

Yes. You were cheating, IMHO. If you were racking your own, and knew there were gaps, you should have made sure all the balls were touching. Sounds like you are on your way to becoming a professional rigger.

What more did you know than him, besides that you rigged the rack?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Yes. You were cheating, IMHO. If you were racking your own, and knew there were gaps, you should have made sure all the balls were touching. Sounds like you are on your way to becoming a professional rigger.

What more did you know than him, besides that you rigged the rack?

I agree 100%. Johnnyt

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Your opponent had every right to imply you were cheating. You were absolutely cheating. What do you call it if its not cheating???

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not a cheater. Trying to get a tight rack, and looking at the rack, are not cheating. If it is cheating, there's something wrong with the rules.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose he has some right to be upset, but he needs to catch on to the problem with the break at 9 ball. Some people who live in a self-imposed darkness don't realize that there is a problem.

Just use one of the template products that guarantees a tight rack. And the wing ball. Everyone has an equal chance that way. Or use Paul Schofield's rules. Or use one of the other break rule changes that fixes the problem. Or play 10 ball.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not a cheater. Trying to get a tight rack, and looking at the rack, are not cheating. If it is cheating, there's something wrong with the rules.

He said there were gaps between the balls so the rack was not tight, he was manipulating the rack to make a wing ball and it is cheating.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as you were trying to get as tight a rack as possible on that table, and not intentionally leaving gaps, you are OK in my mind....

In other words, assuming the above, even if he was racking for you, you would still be able to read the gaps, and get the same results.....If your success was due to "reading" and not due to "racking".....you are OK (not cheating)

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Rack your own is stupid.
I hate rack your own.
I try my best to give my opponent the best rack I possibly can.
I expect the same in return.
Funny though how things work.

When I watch rack your own tournaments, everyone throws up a rack, massages the 1 ball, and gives themselves a "perfect" rack in zero time at all.
Flip it around so they are now racking for their opponent, and the same process takes 5 five minutes or more, and all of a sudden, nothing will freeze up.

Why is that?

LOL

Reactions: JC

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
If you use the Magic Rack playing someone who doesn't know how to cut break is that cheating? No matter how the rack lies, the person who has studied the break and how to hit the rack, including one without any gaps, is going to have an advantage. If someone is getting results the other isn't, it takes a lesser person to *****, moan, and claim cheating rather than attempt to find out what is really happening, why it's happening, and make it happen for them.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Isn't that part of gambling, trying to gain an edge?
So you're trying to rack tight and to freeze the balls can be impossible on some tables.
I don't know about the table you guys were playing on but this guy had the opportunity to look the rack over before you broke? Yes? and what's more is it sounds like he kept playing. If I thought I were being cheated I'd quit, he must have been ok with it.
Sounds like you were within the rules, you just found an edge

madmex148

Registered
You didn't do yourself any favors referring to yourself as a 'rack mechanic,' but aside from that, isn't the whole point of racking your own to give yourself a rack you can make a ball on and ensure a good spread? The opposite extreme would be to rack for your opponent and let him give you a bad rack. Would you let him do that? No. You would ask him to correct any issues with the rack until you get one your comfortable hitting... In which case you read what he's given you and proceed to pocket a predictable ball. Rack your own just avoids having your opponent rerack a number of times.
Sounds like your opponent needed to learn how to rack and read the rack before gambling with somebody who already knows how... so you were playing on a more equal level and he wouldn't have a reason to *****.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your opponent had every right to imply you were cheating. You were absolutely cheating. What do you call it if its not cheating???

I agree that your opponent had every right to assume you were cheating.

He also had a right to inspect the rack and question the fact that the wing balls were falling so easily.

Did he exercise that right? If not, then he will just keep assuming you are a cheater.

Did you cheat?
IMO, you had the information about the "community component of the game" so yes,
you cheated inasmuch as you should have shared this known information with your
opponent so that he could utilize it as he saw fit as well.

madmex148

Registered
....Basically sounds like he was sore about losing. You could have made 3 of 4 balls every break, and if you had lost, it would have been a non issue.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is kind of "funny" that the cracks only appeared in the areas required to make the wing ball on the break. I smell a fish.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"I was just freezing the correct balls"

Maybe it wasn't cheating, but this makes it sound like cheating.

To be clear, I was not creating any gaps. I was trying to freeze all of the balls. It's usually not possible to freeze them all so once i got it close enough i analyzed the remaining gaps. And when i say "gaps" im talking about hairline spaces that you have to look very closely to see. Anyone can look at the rack before I break and it would never be rejected.

I am just very good at racking the balls tight and im also very knowledgeable when it comes to understanding which balls must be frozen and which don't in order to make the wingball.