Matlock vs Keith

When I worked in a pool hall back in the last 60s up until 1973, most all the supposed "players" used some sort of "chemical". I don't know if it was just their lifestyle or if they used it as some sort of "enhancer" that would improve their pool game.

Most of the people doing this were the up and coming and younger players of the time. One must remember that those players were living in an era when hippies were common and the drug culture was evolving, along with the ending of the Vietnam war when societies rules were changing. Louie Roberts was a prime example of a player from this era. When I first met Louie, he had just gotten out of the Air Force and he was at the beginning stage of his professional pool career.

Him, along with numerous other players, used "substances" that would keep them alert and awake for days and then other "substances" that would allow them to sleep. Anyone remember Elvis Presley? That is what happened to him...he was burning the candle from both ends.

After meeting Louie the first time and continually hearing stories about him from friends in St. Louis (I lived about 200 miles south), the most common theme I heard (other than how well he played) was how "high" he always was. Louie like to "fly" and bet it up. He didn't really care about money. He liked it and enjoyed what it could buy, but it never gave him the thrill of "flying" and beating somebody in a pool game. Louie was convinced, until the day he died, that nobody could beat him when he was "flying".

Thanks. I'd be amazed if anyone gambles for large amounts without juicing.

But nobody talks about it here.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Playing with 'help' was common in the action days...
...but it was not the norm.

The ones who fought the fear of high-tension games with artificial means
only hurt themselves in the long run..and they even tended not to out-last
an equal opponent who played on the 'natural'.

Top pressure players knew that fear is their friend....
..it keeps you striving and alert.

Fighting fear with drugs is like whistling in the dark.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith:

Have Jennie post a youtube of you shooting the dipsy-do shot.

I used to have good control of this shot and it certainly was a game changer. It allowed me to hold shape on one end of table that these days I have to go up and down the table for position.

Not and easy shot to master even if you play all the time. These days since I've lost some of my skills this shot is not in my arsenal anymore.

Keith had so much control of the cue ball that this shot was routine for him and made a big difference in the outcome of many of his matches.

I doubt that he would be able to post a video to show the full benefit of this shot if he doesn't play much any more that's how difficult the shot is.

Johnk78

Registered
How about the straight in shot he did in the 2003 US Nine Ball finals against Jose Parica? That was a pretty incredible shot. He had the cue ball frozen on the side rail and shot the ball straight in the opposite corner, making the cue ball skid to the left hitting the end rail and come up for position on the opposite end rail where the next object ball was frozen. Still trying to figure that one out.

tommybaker

Registered
Keith Mccready

I hung out at Nutty Nero's all the time too. It was the action spot of Los Angeles. I've seen many of road players come through town and the smart ones ducked Keith. The one's that did play Keith, had no chance of beating him even with the 7-Ball, it meant nothing to Keith once he got rolling.At the time the game was two shot shoot out which Keith played better than anyone, in that game, the best player shows up which was Keith. I've seen him play Moro giving the 7, Ernesto and King Kong giving them the 7, and any other road player coming in Keith sent home broke. He is truly one of kind and there will never be another one like him. In my opinion, in his prime he is the best bar table player with the big cue ball ever. Great memories of this guy.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Most of the good players I hang with smoke weed or prescription pills. Most of the time it's just a fad that ends after a few years . That's not the case with all of them , some prefer alcohol. If it settles them down and they are not bothering anyone ... I just think it's there business . Why would anyone care? They will play great regardless. How can one think so highly of them selves ,that they have the right to accuse or discuss anyone's personnel business on a forum at that is beyond me
You should really work on your manners Thaiger

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
True Story

I saw David Matlock play the first time he ever came to Wichita. I was in, at that time, Mr. Lucky's on Seneca Street, a bar with dancers and 2 Bar tables. Mr. Lucky's was good for picking up some action at the time. Jr. Brown was also there.

Matlock and Jr. matched up for a $700 7 ahead set, and I was the only one that was allowed to watch them play the set. Jr. had one shot the whole set, a 6 ball, and he missed it, and Matlock ran out. During the match though, Matlock broke, made a ball, and was hooked on the 3 ball, with only 1/2" clearance at most. He went and got a bar cue, jacked it up about 89 degrees, hopped the 6 ball, and made the 3 in the side pocket, and drew back abouit 4" for perfect shape on the 4. Needless to say, their was a new Sheriff in town!

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Most of the good players I hang with smoke weed or prescription pills. Most of the time it's just a fad that ends after a few years . That's not the case with all of them , some prefer alcohol. If it settles them down and they are not bothering anyone ... I just think it's there business . Why would anyone care? They will play great regardless. How can one think so highly of them selves ,that they have the right to accuse or discuss anyone's personnel business on a forum at that is beyond me

I believe prescription pills are becoming an epidemic amongst pool players. I feel bad for them because it will lead to disaster. I've been there before and it isn't fun.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a bigger problem is the steroid issues.

I talked to a friend of mine who was an awesome baseball player in high school. He didn't take steroids and his friends did. He said in less than two years their skills and bodies improved incredibly.

That is sports dirty secret.

Ken

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a train wreck...cant believe I read all 20 pages.

Im nobody..

But Ill take David.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hung out at Nutty Nero's all the time too. It was the action spot of Los Angeles. I've seen many of road players come through town and the smart ones ducked Keith. The one's that did play Keith, had no chance of beating him even with the 7-Ball, it meant nothing to Keith once he got rolling.At the time the game was two shot shoot out which Keith played better than anyone, in that game, the best player shows up which was Keith. I've seen him play Moro giving the 7, Ernesto and King Kong giving them the 7, and any other road player coming in Keith sent home broke. He is truly one of kind and there will never be another one like him. In my opinion, in his prime he is the best bar table player with the big cue ball ever. Great memories of this guy.

Thanks for sharing that Keithism. :smile:

It seems like on this forum, people root for the hometeam, someone they know and have seen up front and close. Age also plays a role in the decision-making process on these "who's the best" threads.

It's kind of comical to see someone say their favorite player can barbecue, say, Buddy Hall on a bar table. Meanwhile, Buddy Hall is a senior citizen. When he was in his prime, I'd venture to guess nobody had to like it. He was *that* strong.

Not sure why people get all riled up, either, about this "my dog is bigger than your dog" kind of threads, so much so that they continue to create threads about two players from yesteryear -- Matlock and McCready. What's the point?

Sadly, when McCready was in his prime, there was no video footage documenting it, like there is today with Shane, et al. I really appreciate people like you sharing your eyewitness accounts, and I know it really lifts Keith's spirits too.

Puzzling response. Are you really saying we, as sports fans, have no right to discuss doping? And are you really saying we, as gamblers, have no right to know what our opponents are up to?

Forewarned is forearmed.

And, just so I know, are you going to follow me around on every single thread, looking for something to criticise me over?

Um there have been dozens of threads about drugs in pool. You just haven't been here long enough. ;-)

I was lurking for a couple of years before joining, and only recall one thread on drugs in that time. There may have been many more that I missed, but it's not routinely discussed, that's for sure.

And I'm certainly not singling out pool either - where there's money, there'll be cheats, whatever the sport or activity.

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Puzzling response. Are you really saying we, as sports fans, have no right to discuss doping?

Ugh, that quasi-European term "doping." Every time I hear it my eyes roll back in my head. Sounds so silly, and is treated so broadly, who the hell could figure out what you're even referring to.

If you're talking about coke, say it. I've played coked up guys, and I don't feel like they've got an advantage over me at all. Maybe in extremely long races, but even then, doubting it. They have nutty self-confidence and are quite prone to error. It's like watching someone see how long they can get lucky. It's not intimidating, and always ends eventually.

Then again, the guys I'm playing aren't demi-Gods like Keith McCready, lord knows what the ambrosia does to the skills of a guy like that.

But maybe you're not even talking about coke. Who knows what the hell "doping" means in the context of pool. Certainly different things in every decade, which is why you shouldn't speak broadly, and should be specific.

Time for me to go shoot up some steroids for my 8-ball league tonight.

Last edited:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is treated so broadly, who the hell could figure out what you're even referring to.

Who knows what the hell "doping" means in the context of pool. Certainly different things in every decade, which is why you shouldn't speak broadly, and should be specific.

Any performance enhancing drugs, I'd assume.

EDIT: Also, quasi-European?

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Puzzling response. Are you really saying we, as sports fans, have no right to discuss doping? And are you really saying we, as gamblers, have no right to know what our opponents are up to?

Forewarned is forearmed.

And, just so I know, are you going to follow me around on every single thread, looking for something to criticise me over?

Not likely bud. Your flattering yourself .
No I don't think it's anyone's business what Keith did or didn't do 25 years ago ..... That is where you started with this

Last edited:
Close this thread down

Thanks for sharing that Keithism. :smile:

It seems like on this forum, people root for the hometeam, someone they know and have seen up front and close. Age also plays a role in the decision-making process on these "who's the best" threads.

It's kind of comical to see someone say their favorite player can barbecue, say, Buddy Hall on a bar table. Meanwhile, Buddy Hall is a senior citizen. When he was in his prime, I'd venture to guess nobody had to like it. He was *that* strong.

Not sure why people get all riled up, either, about this "my dog is bigger than your dog" kind of threads, so much so that they continue to create threads about two players from yesteryear -- Matlock and McCready. What's the point?

Sadly, when McCready was in his prime, there was no video footage documenting it, like there is today with Shane, et al. I really appreciate people like you sharing your eyewitness accounts, and I know it really lifts Keith's spirits too.

And that just about sums it up. (Doesn't matter who said it). This thread is now complete.

DrawtheRock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did David beat buddy with the small ball? I seem to remember Buddy saying that David would only play him with the big ball.

I didnt get to see them play in their primes but have heard many of those champions talk about Keith and they said he was Scary Good-- especially at an early age.

CJ-- you have been around a lot of those players-- what did they say about Keith for the cash on that bar box with the big ball?

I did speak with Ernesto about getting the 7 ball from Keith on the bar table- giving Ernesto respect because he isnt a top champion but he is a good player... he said Keith gave them all weight and beat them all.. it didnt matter he said because he was running racks and racks every time he came to the table. He said they called him the devil because he didnt miss and would bet high.

Clint- stop sniffing matlocks jock- they arent in their primes and they arent playing. Why dont you play keith some? He doesnt play anymore and you probably never could play. Dave's not jealous- you are.

I did see Keith in San Francisco back in the early to mid 90's and never saw anything like it. He got everybody gambling on everything. I think he came to play for a weekend and ended up staying about a year. He bet on pool, coin flips, pitching coins, horses, football (he bet who would win on the coin toss of the 49er game, if they would get their next first down..etc) HE HAD EVERYBODY GAMBLING ALL THE TIME.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did David beat buddy with the small ball? I seem to remember Buddy saying that David would only play him with the big ball.

I didnt get to see them play in their primes but have heard many of those champions talk about Keith and they said he was Scary Good-- especially at an early age.

CJ-- you have been around a lot of those players-- what did they say about Keith for the cash on that bar box with the big ball?

I did speak with Ernesto about getting the 7 ball from Keith on the bar table- giving Ernesto respect because he isnt a top champion but he is a good player... he said Keith gave them all weight and beat them all.. it didnt matter he said because he was running racks and racks every time he came to the table. He said they called him the devil because he didnt miss and would bet high.

Clint- stop sniffing matlocks jock- they arent in their primes and they arent playing. Why dont you play keith some? He doesnt play anymore and you probably never could play. Dave's not jealous- you are.

I did see Keith in San Francisco back in the early to mid 90's and never saw anything like it. He got everybody gambling on everything. I think he came to play for a weekend and ended up staying about a year. He bet on pool, coin flips, pitching coins, horses, football (he bet who would win on the coin toss of the 49er game, if they would get their next first down..etc) HE HAD EVERYBODY GAMBLING ALL THE TIME.

People like Keith made action happen. That's why the 70's and 80's was so much better when it came to action. How many top players do you see matching up with each other now? Look, I would say on any given day Keith or David could win when they were in their prime. I could throw in several others that could also beat anyone on a certain day, back in that era.