Mika stop crying about the rack!

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I heard him say "goofy break"?! I was hoping I heard wrong. If so, Corey outclassed him by not responding and still relating how he respected Mika as a player. Well done Corey! Keeping your cool is what got you this far.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I think we just witnessed someone literally, CRY themselves out of a potential U.S. open triple crown victory.

Guaranteed he would have done better if he just focused on the task at hand.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once Mika hung that seven ball against appleton it was all over. I still dont get why they call him the iceman.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Does anyone actually like Mika? I mean, Earl has haters AND fans. Does Mika have any fans?

Off the table, Mika is really a nice guy.

But ON the table when things aren't going his way, he's just ridiculous.

Someone needs to bust out the HUGGIES!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I think we just witnessed someone literally, CRY themselves out of a potential U.S. open triple crown victory.

Guaranteed he would have done better if he just focused on the task at hand.

Jay hasn't given a tight rack since 1962, when a kid broke and ran out on him playing caroms one day. Teaching Jay how to not make slugs is like trying to teach a fish how to run!

Just kidding of course. Maybe somebody tapped that table - it looked like it was very difficult to rack on it. Notice in the next match they were only allowed one re-rack. Poor Jay had to sit there and take that crap and Mika got himself out of stroke looking for the non-existant perfect rack.

Chris

TheVirus

The Pool Guy
Silver Member
I say he has a right to complain about the rack... I also know that's why he lost. Frustration can get the best of you. SUre for most of us here we say shut up and break dumbass, to our friends of coures, but in something as big as this, and yes it is big, its huge, a perfect rack should be given each and every time.

I'm not a fan of hte magic rack, what if a ball stays on it? or the cue rolls over it? thats affects the shot.. but i digress..

When it comes to money, no one should complain about a complainer because if they were in the situation, they'd probably care too.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Actually, Mika's only a "nice guy" if you happen to: a.) be a member of his close-knit circle of friends or he knows you well; b.) be a member of the press, an upper-echelon billiards/pool official, tournament director/promoter, or other official standing that behooves him to be nice to you.

Otherwise, you're just one of the "gray people" to him -- people in the background that mean nothing to him. Deity-complex big time.

-Sean

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Once Mika hung that seven ball against appleton it was all over. I still dont get why they call him the iceman.

Maybe they should rename him.

Attachments

• dm2.JPG
    dm2.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 465

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
They actually had to change the spot on the table between the matches due to it being slightly off. I understand that that should make it equal for both players.

I said should... In reality the spot being off very well could favor either player since everyone has a slightly different break due to attack angle, speed, english, and preferred contact point.

Mika has worked on his break likely for more hours than most of us have hit balls. He knows what it takes to make a ball consistently. To hit the ball perfect and watch the corner ball barely miss the pocket consistently would indeed to me indicate a problem with the rack.

In my opinion Mika had every right to complain about the rack if it was not yielding consistent results. When you work on something that hard and that long and suddenly you don't get the results you have gotten for years either you are dogging it or there is a variable at work that you need to have dealt with. Otherwise you consistently break dry.

What should he have done? He played all week rack your own and had been having no problems. He had worked on his rack and break at every chance he had when a table was open on the floor. Maybe today he should have tried a soft cut... Using right english instead of left... Follow instead of draw... Knocked the crap out of em like Earl....

He came in today with the break he worked on all week at the tournament. He played in the same conditions we had seen all week as far as cloth speed, skid, humidity and temperature. His break should have been working. It wasn't.... His fault or the rack?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
They actually had to change the spot on the table between the matches due to it being slightly off. I understand that that should make it equal for both players.

I said should... In reality the spot being off very well could favor either player since everyone has a slightly different break due to attack angle, speed, english, and preferred contact point.

Mika has worked on his break likely for more hours than most of us have hit balls. He knows what it takes to make a ball consistently. To hit the ball perfect and watch the corner ball barely miss the pocket consistently would indeed to me indicate a problem with the rack.

In my opinion Mika had every right to complain about the rack if it was not yielding consistent results. When you work on something that hard and that long and suddenly you don't get the results you have gotten for years either you are dogging it or there is a variable at work that you need to have dealt with. Otherwise you consistently break dry.

What should he have done? He played all week rack your own and had been having no problems. He had worked on his rack and break at every chance he had when a table was open on the floor. Maybe today he should have tried a soft cut... Using right english instead of left... Follow instead of draw... Knocked the crap out of em like Earl....

He came in today with the break he worked on all week at the tournament. He played in the same conditions we had seen all week as far as cloth speed, skid, humidity and temperature. His break should have been working. It wasn't.... His fault or the rack?

Renfro:

Thanks for this well-written synopsis. While the logic behind what you say is for the most part sound, the problem is that this sport -- and especially this luck-/rolls-vulnerable game of 9-ball -- requires ADAPTATION. The best players adapt to the conditions without complaining (or at least don't let the process of adaptation itself frustrate them internally); others, well... they might have the initials M.I...

-Sean

MikeyFields

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You know a different guy. He's a complete dick off the table. One day after he won a Blaze tour stop we were asked by the TD if we could give him a ride. Took him to Manhattan from West Hempstead (Raxx Pool room). It took an hour and a half. He didn't say a word the whole time, we tried talking to him the whole way, just basically ignored us, then when we got to where he needed to go he just got out and shut the door, didn't say thanks or anything. He just won over 2g's and couldnt throw us a dime for gas or tolls let alone say thanks. I been to 35 tournaments easy where he was and he was the same jerk at everyone.

Actually, Mika's only a "nice guy" if you happen to: a.) be a member of his close-knit circle of friends or he knows you well; b.) be a member of the press, an upper-echelon billiards/pool official, tournament director/promoter, or other official standing that behooves him to be nice to you.

Otherwise, you're just one of the "gray people" to him -- people in the background that mean nothing to him. Deity-complex big time.

-Sean

+1

Did you guys what his TAR match against SVB last week? It was rack your own with a magic rack and he ***** all 3 days after the break. And ***** when he dogged shots. It was aggravating to watch him act that way.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
You don't change from rack your own to nuetral racker after a week...esp for the semi finals and finals. We're talking about the US Open here, not some $500 regional tour stop. Yes Barry or the TD can do whatever they want but it don't make it right. They have a year in between tournaments. Plenty of time to get things right and stay with them ALL through the tournament. Johnnyt

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know a different guy. He's a complete dick off the table. One day after he won a Blaze tour stop we were asked by the TD if we could give him a ride. Took him to Manhattan from West Hempstead (Raxx Pool room). It took an hour and a half. He didn't say a word the whole time, we tried talking to him the whole way, just basically ignored us, then when we got to where he needed to go he just got out and shut the door, didn't say thanks or anything. He just won over 2g's and couldnt throw us a dime for gas or tolls let alone say thanks. I been to 35 tournaments easy where he was and he was the same jerk at everyone.

+1

Did you guys what his TAR match against SVB last week? It was rack your own with a magic rack and he ***** all 3 days after the break. And ***** when he dogged shots. It was aggravating to watch him act that way.

That's a really disgusting thing to do to good people who offer you a ride. I can understand being shy and not knowing what to talk about but when you have some people talking to you, don't act like you above them......bad Mika.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
You know a different guy. He's a complete dick off the table.

Could be.
Maybe that's cause i don't tolerate people that are dicks and set them straight when they get out of line.
Usually after that, they tend to have some respect, or they ignore me even more, or just flat out hate me.
Either way, it doesn't bother me.

But i see what you are saying.
Maybe you should make fun of him at every tournament you see him at till he gets the point to learn some manners.

But at the same time, it's like gambling.
If you didn't set the terms upfront about the ride...

I would have been like, $100 bucks, or go get yourself a cab.
That would have settled all the issues right there.