Mike D withdraws from World 14.1

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Maybe. But just look at the tone of Mike's post on Facebook vs CW's posts on Facebook and AZ. Mike posts a short message with a simple explanation of what he considers the facts. CW replies on Facebook with a long, mean spirited, personal attack.

That right there should tell you something about the character of the individuals involved.

Agreed!

Or at least some measure of intelligence....

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why bother complaining?
This is how it always is in DP events. This is how it will always be.
Next tournament, you are going to have the 14.1 groupies, putting up large chunks of money for this event to go off because they love 14.1. That money is gonna get cut up with the minority of it going to the players prize fund and instead, who knows where, shady player dealings are gonna go down like they always do with tight groups of friends and every outsider or victim of it will be complaining about it again next time.

If you don't like it, start a 14.1 tournament and do it better.
Cause this ain't changing any time soon.

I didn't realize this was happening but I enjoy 14.1 and the world tournament had gone dormant until CW revived it.

Nobody looks good in this. CW doesn't look good for putting the guy in but taking half his earnings (if true) and Dechaine's attitude caused him to quit because his seeding was lowered in a round robin format where seeding doesn't mean much.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I didn't realize this was happening but I enjoy 14.1 and the world tournament had gone dormant until CW revived it.

Nobody looks good in this. CW doesn't look good for putting the guy in but taking half his earnings (if true) and Dechaine's attitude caused him to quit because his seeding was lowered in a round robin format where seeding doesn't mean much.

Yeah. Rest assured, it is true. It wouldn't be the first time Charlie "helped" a player out by putting them in the tournament. It's happened before, and it's happened with players that weren't elite/top shelf 14.1 players either.
But it's an eye opening experience when you get staked and cash, and make basically nothing after people take their cut. But on that same note, you really shouldn't complain if you got to play for free.

Plus, don't be so quick to judge about seeding. If you look at the history of groups in certain events, certain groups have nothing but killers in them, and certain groups have tomato cans making up the majority. Surely seeding might mean you get a cushy group that almost guarantees you get to the elimination rounds.

As far as the whole business model, certain people that used to contribute, won't anymore. I guess they wised up to how CW runs things.
Same thing with the 14.1 qualifiers. Why bother?
You have to pay the money up front and if you don't get enough players, you're stuck the difference, and if you go over the amount of $$ you have to give CW a piece of it? It's no wonder that people don't involve themselves like they used to.
Why contribute to someone else's income and get nothing out of it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that CW wouldn't have "revived" anything, if someone else wasn't putting up the money, and he wasn't scalping people in the process.
Sure. Promoters should be rewarded for their efforts. But promoters shouldn't be underhanded trying to squeeze every last dime out of a situation at other people's expense.

My two cents anyway.

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
It's his choice @Cleary and @forum

He has the ability to do so as he chooses.

Billardthought, it's always going to be situations where we the public will never know the truth an that's okay as well.

It does leave room for SPECULATION AND DRAMA

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. Rest assured, it is true. It wouldn't be the first time Charlie "helped" a player out by putting them in the tournament. It's happened before, and it's happened with players that weren't elite/top shelf 14.1 players either.
But it's an eye opening experience when you get staked and cash, and make basically nothing after people take their cut. But on that same note, you really shouldn't complain if you got to play for free.

Plus, don't be so quick to judge about seeding. If you look at the history of groups in certain events, certain groups have nothing but killers in them, and certain groups have tomato cans making up the majority. Surely seeding might mean you get a cushy group that almost guarantees you get to the elimination rounds.

As far as the whole business model, certain people that used to contribute, won't anymore. I guess they wised up to how CW runs things.
Same thing with the 14.1 qualifiers. Why bother?
You have to pay the money up front and if you don't get enough players, you're stuck the difference, and if you go over the amount of $$ you have to give CW a piece of it? It's no wonder that people don't involve themselves like they used to.
Why contribute to someone else's income and get nothing out of it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that CW wouldn't have "revived" anything, if someone else wasn't putting up the money, and he wasn't scalping people in the process.
Sure. Promoters should be rewarded for their efforts. But promoters shouldn't be underhanded trying to squeeze every last dime out of a situation at other people's expense.

My two cents anyway.

I understand exactly what you are saying but I enjoy 14.1 and nobody else - including other promoters commenting on this - ever stepped up to hold the event.

We know how sausage is made. I just had sausage for breakfast.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Billardthought, it's always going to be situations where we the public will never know the truth an that's okay as well.

I don't know what public YOU are talking about, but for certain groups, some things are FACT.

Like when a married or engaged pool player sends pictures of their package to some female pool player.
Like when some scorned affair trashes some pool players facebook with picture that person sent to them of their package.
Like when some pool promoters sext girls and are so clumsy in their innuendos, that it basically comes off as pathetic rather then offensive.

These are all FACTS. And there are plenty of screen shots saved all over the place to prove it.
Just like how in this case, there are certain facts that just go without saying.
It's just a matter of who you know.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what public YOU are talking about, but for certain groups, some things are FACT.

Like when a married or engaged pool player sends pictures of their package to some female pool player.
Like when some scorned affair trashes some pool players facebook with picture that person sent to them of their package.
Like when some pool promoters sext girls and are so clumsy in their innuendos, that it basically comes off as pathetic rather then offensive.

These are all FACTS. And there are plenty of screen shots saved all over the place to prove it.
Just like how in this case, there are certain facts that just go without saying.
It's just a matter of who you know.

What was the package?

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
Wow...I think I've found my answer.

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
You know facts do exist, superstar that goes without saying.

However, we will NEVER know the full details of why the guy left. Therefore, it leaves SPECULATION as the only avenue left to advance the conversation. Because nobody has the details so that pretty much ends the story until we have more details.

I'm just sayin that is fact also. To which is why I don't feel the need to go anywhere with this because we just don't know the rest of the story

2strong4u

Banned
For sure, I do not believe Mike Dechaine is broke. Plus, he has several sponsors and/or stakehorses who would back him in most pocket billiards-related endeavors. I have more respect for Mike Dechaine today than I did before this thread appeared.

I would like to hear Stu's opinion on this topic. I'll bet he knows the skinny. :wink:

I'll back Mike Dechaine in any event he wants to play in the next 5 years. The guy needs to get out there and just rob the world. Too bad for him pool is like it is. I hope he understands that time is limited and talent will fade with age. I'm always pulling for him since the day I sat next to his father (by chance) when Mike won Turning Stone.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
MD sent me this basic sequence of events for clarity.

1. months ago I said I was playing, then let CW know on July 3rd I may not be able to attend due to a class reunion and a good friends wedding.

2. On July 4th he responded.
"Charlie Williams
7/4, 2:43pm
Charlie Williams
You are the #3 seed in the event so let me know asap if anything changes or if you know a player that can take your spot"

3. I was able to shift things around in my schedule and on the 8th, I asked if he would pay my entry into the event. He said, he would put me in for 50/50. I said okay.

4. Now, this past saturday, I found out he was giving free entries to the entire cast the The Hustlers. So I called him and talked about it. I again asked him for a free entry. He said the Hustler's cast free entries didn't allow those players to keep any winnings so I said, let me think about it.

5. 5-10 min after we hangs up the phone, I sent a text saying "let me know if you change your mind" - for those who may be unaware, this is not uncommon wrangling that goes on behind the scenes and I was trying to get a free entry based on a Hustler's promo that would work both ways for both the show and this tourney.. He again said, he can't do it. Then he wrote. Its too bad, with me being the #3 seed and all so I finally said I will pay my own entry. He said, perfect.

6. I get down to the tournament, I am no longer seeded #3. I am 9-15.

7. I immediately got upset because he is moving the players around that he has in the tournament for better results. I wasn't very concerned about my bracket, and as far as Mika is concerned, he hasn't beat me in any game for the last 5 years. It was based on principle. I don't think it is right for any Tournament director to change things up once they commit. Also, and for the record, I was told I was the #3 seed prior to ANY of our attempted negotiations.

8. After having traveled all the way to this tournament fully expecting to play, it's true that after seeing how Charlie changed seeding around, I did get upset and let him know it. For me it was nothing to do with my bracket and everything to do with integrity and principal.

Thanks,
MD

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

1. months ago I said I was playing, then let CW know on July 3rd I may not be able to attend due to a class reunion and a good friends wedding.

"Charlie Williams
Charlie Williams
You are the #3 seed in the event so let me know asap if anything changes or if you know a player that can take your spot"

3. I was able to shift things around in my schedule and on the 8th, I asked if he would pay my entry into the event. He said, he would put me in for 50/50. I said okay.

4. Now, this past saturday, I found out he was giving free entries to the entire cast the The Hustlers. So I called him and talked about it. I again asked him for a free entry. He said the Hustler's cast free entries didn't allow those players to keep any winnings so I said, let me think about it.

5. 5-10 min after we hangs up the phone, I sent a text saying "let me know if you change your mind" - for those who may be unaware, this is not uncommon wrangling that goes on behind the scenes and I was trying to get a free entry based on a Hustler's promo that would work both ways for both the show and this tourney.. He again said, he can't do it. Then he wrote. Its too bad, with me being the #3 seed and all so I finally said I will pay my own entry. He said, perfect.

7. I immediately got upset because he is moving the players around that he has in the tournament for better results. I wasn't very concerned about my bracket, and as far as Mika is concerned, he hasn't beat me in any game for the last 5 years. It was based on principle. I don't think it is right for any Tournament director to change things up once they commit. Also, and for the record, I was told I was the #3 seed prior to ANY of our attempted negotiations.

8. After having traveled all the way to this tournament fully expecting to play, it's true that after seeing how Charlie changed seeding around, I did get upset and let him know it. For me it was nothing to do with my bracket and everything to do with integrity and principal.

Thanks,
MD

I need to spread more rep around before I can give more to you.

liakos

Banned

"Charlie Williams
Charlie Williams

Thanks,
MD

That's nice and all! He should of told him fine! Play the tourney, win it, and say(with a smile) FU Charlie!

That's what people with ability do! Here is the problem, Mike has the ability. He just doesn't care enough to prove himself!

Seeing you called me the most vocal MD hater, you do have to admit one thing, I've never doubted his ability! Or are you just too ignorant to understand my posts?!?!

Good day
Eli

2strong4u

Banned
That's nice and all! He should of told him fine! Play the tourney, win it, and say(with a smile) FU Charlie!

That's what people with ability do! Here is the problem, Mike has the ability. He just doesn't care enough to prove himself!

Seeing you called me the most vocal MD hater, you do have to admit one thing, I've never doubted his ability! Or are you just too ignorant to understand my posts?!?!

Good day
Eli
You really do have issues son... It's comical really.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member

Good day
Eli

via Imgflip Meme Maker