Mike Dechaine

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
Give me a break. I didn't see tbe first Mosconi cup. I've never seen Wilson play. And I have a life outside of pool. I don't know every character in the pool world. And I made that statement out of frustration because of the 2013 performance. If you bother to read my other posts, you would have known that already.

If you care enough about what's going on with the Mosconi Cup the first thing you should've done when they announced MW as captain was look him up.

I didn't see it either, I learned that little tidbit from watching a youtube video about the history of the Mosconi Cup.

Most people have lives outside of pool, myself included. It's not about knowing every player who ever picked up a cue, it's about knowing the people involved in events and activities that interest you.

As I do have a life, as in a job, I can't waste the time requires to read 10 pages of people going back and forth jumping on or hugging MD's nuts.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
As the great Merle Haggard once said:
If you don't love it, leave it.

But let's cut to the chase...
How much are you willing to wager that this year's Team USA won't smoke the record of last year's team?
How much are you willing to wager against Team USA this year?

Since you're convinced we have no chance in hell, you should have no issue with going all in, right?

oh, they'll smoke it alright. and that's without knowing the final 4.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense, but the best American players who are 35 years old and up have their best days behind them. There is much more talent in Europe than here, at all ages. The league mentality in this country and no professional tournament series or association ensure we will continue to fall behind.

It *may* be true that the best players over 35 have their best days behind them. I just turned 40 and am playing the best pool of my life, and still improving. However, I do not fit anywhere near the best players category. Still the point is, I think some of the best may still be able to do something after age 35. You wanna match up with Archer or Earl in a tourney, based solely on ability?

I disagree that there is much more talent in Europe. I think by shear numbers, there is less talent overall. However, I think the European *attitude* is a more successful approach to professional competition. This results in the Euro's being able to maximize and take best advantage of the talent they have. Plus with good options for pro tours and tournaments there, that gives an advantage as well. The US is full of players with unreal talent. The problem is that they lack the drive and structure to develop that talent *professionally*. Shane is the only big name pro in the US who obviously takes his job seriously and *works* on his game. Surprise surprise: it shows.

I'm not sure what "the league mentality" is in this context. Leagues are for amateur players who range anywhere from casual drinkers to budding pro players. I definitely agree with you that the lack of a professional organization will hurt the US players.

KMRUNOUT

Last edited:
League mentality = Rooms that had mostly 9 footers, a hard core crowd of real players and no leagues closing. Very few new players that play "big pool" and big table games. Less regional events for advanced amateurs to complete. Just the overall lack of heart in this game the past 10 years has got us where we are. Used to be people would push themselves to improve. Match up bad just to see if the could win... handicapped events were rare. This eventually detracts from the number of top players. Even in a place as populated as the good old USA.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you care enough about what's going on with the Mosconi Cup the first thing you should've done when they announced MW as captain was look him up.

I didn't see it either, I learned that little tidbit from watching a youtube video about the history of the Mosconi Cup.

Most people have lives outside of pool, myself included. It's not about knowing every player who ever picked up a cue, it's about knowing the people involved in events and activities that interest you.

As I do have a life, as in a job, I can't waste the time requires to read 10 pages of people going back and forth jumping on or hugging MD's nuts.

Damn....I certainly didn't get my nuts hugged, did I!. That was pretty funny though.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

How much are you willing to wager that this year's Team USA won't smoke the record of last year's team?

Since you're convinced we have no chance in hell, you should have no issue with going all in, right?

Last year's Team USA was chosen by Matchroom, rendering it trivial for comparison purposes. The previous three Team USA's were picked by Americans and all three were competitive, losing by an average of 11-8.

Anyone who'll be satisfied with a sound beating but not as bad as last year should start celebrating now.

If our team is, more or less, as competitive as the last three chosen by America (2010, 2011, 2012), that will be a solid performance, and if the five best of Mark Wilson's chosen eight, based on recent form, are selected to represent us, I think we'll win eight matches or better.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Given how incredibly strong Team Europe has been in recent years, Archer's 6-0 record in the 2012 Mosconi should be viewed as truly remarkable, and almost definitely the best ever performance by an American player in the Mosconi Cup.

Wish that version of Johnny showed up last year...

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Imagine what would happen if Mark was confident enough in his team to put them up against last years team, winner goes to the cup.

Shane could choose which team he is going to side with and Dechaine could play for the other. If Shane chooses the winning team he gets to go, if not he's out.

I wonder which team Shane would chose? I wonder which team would be going to the cup?

Please give Mark your cut to the chase challenge and ask him to go all in.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Imagine what would happen if Mark was confident enough in his team to put them up against last years team, winner goes to the cup.

Shane could choose which team he is going to side with and Dechaine could play for the other. If Shane chooses the winning team he gets to go, if not he's out.

I wonder which team Shane would chose? I wonder which team would be going to the cup?

i'll take that bet!
right now, for Mosconi 2014.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

That's putting it all on Shane. I'd like to think it would be Mark's team. Johnnyt

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to pick the favorite once in a while in a horse race.

I find, I have always done better when I pick a horse that's in the race. :wink:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I got news for you. Dechaine, Hatch, Morris, Earl, and Archer are still the favorites over any combination Mark decides on.

I disagree. Earl and Hatch would weigh down this team, despite the fact that it has three of America's five best players. My money would be on the Wilson guys, provided the red-hot Justin Bergman is on the 2014 team.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. Earl and Hatch would weigh down this team, despite the fact that it has three of America's five best players. My money would be on the Wilson guys, provided the red-hot Justin Bergman is on the 2014 team.

I would give you some action on that.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Mike in the morning:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400884849.188592.jpg

I got news for you. Dechaine, Hatch, Morris, Earl, and Archer are still the favorites over any combination Mark decides on.

Thank you for by pointing out the obvious to all these experts who proclaim to know who the best players are. There aren't 5 players in the country who should beat them in anything but a manners contest. That's what that this has become. I'd rather have the best in the country fighting swearing and slamming cues with a real chance of competing.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for by pointing out the obvious to all these experts who proclaim to know who the best players are. There aren't 5 players in the country who should beat them in anything but a manners contest. That's what that this has become. I'd rather have the best in the country fighting swearing and slamming cues with a real chance of competing.

Oh, you mean like when they were fighting, swearing, and slamming cues last year?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

Interesting proposal.

Imagine what would be going thru the heads of last year's team if this situation came about.

You will then understand what's going thru the heads of this year's team.