Missing Members where did they go❓

g-string

How long has this forum been going. I just joined and started back to playing pool in tournaments about first week in June. I usually spend my time looking at a bass fishing forum and bass fishing tournaments. But had to step back this year the way Covid crap got me in January and caused me to miss two tournaments

middleofnowhere

Registered
A
How long has this forum been going. I just joined and started back to playing pool in tournaments about first week in June. I usually spend my time looking at a bass fishing forum and bass fishing tournaments. But had to step back this year the way Covid crap got me in January and caused me to miss two tournaments
Long time 20 years maybe

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forever. It’s the same questions and answers and arguments over and over after a while. However among all the nonsense there are some of the smartest people in pool here and some good information. Just ignore the bullshit and you’ll be fine,

best
Fatboy

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missing , doesn't that mean location not known,or am I missing something?
Bada Bing bada bang

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think 2003. I joined in 2004. Before that Billiards Digest had a forum called Cue Chalk Board. And before that was the rec.sport.billiards, which is before my time:) Same conversations on all of them.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 2003. I joined in 2004. Before that Billiards Digest had a forum called Cue Chalk Board. And before that was the rec.sport.billiards, which is before my time:) Same conversations on all of them.
Billiards Digest forum had a strong group of regulars who'd meet each year at the U.S. Open in Virginia for a dinner together. The forum was not as frequently visited as AzBilliards, though, in my opinion.

Brady Behrman suggested I check out RSB (rec.sport.billiards) on Google Groups. Most of us were still on dial-up modems, and RSB was unmoderated and sometimes like the Wild Wild West. Though there were some very interesting threads, all pool related, that made for good reading, there were also some horrific flame threads. Unidentified computer-snipping trolls would wreak havoc from time to time, just like here on AzBilliards, with fake names. What was funny, when I think about it today, was the amount of time for a post or reply post to appear. Sometimes it would take 24 hours. This put a few speed bumps in the flame threads from growing. RSB also had a group of regulars that would meet up from time to time, but the infamous Fast Larryruined RSB with his vitriolic words and vulgarity. After a while, nobody went there any more, mainly because of him, in my opinion.

One regular RSB-er was Smorgassbored. He and I developed a close online friendship, and it was Smorgie who invited me to AzBilliards. Smorgie was capable of providing a little levity from time to time with quick-witted replies and humor. He was really one of a kind, and I enjoyed all his posts. Sadly, he got really sick and was unable to get adequate health care from the Veterans Affairs, and I think he just lost the will to survive. I miss him very much.

Many of the old RSB-ers and AZB-ers and BD-ers are on Facebook today, and there are some great pool discussions from time to time. It's nice to network and connect with pool players from around the world, to include many, many of the pro players. One AZB-er who I enjoy reading on Facebook is Andrew Cleary. He's the millennial version of a Smorgie, fun to read, and his posts sometimes make me laugh out loud. That kid should be on "Saturday Night Live." What a talent for comedy!

I have always thought that pool should be fun. I enjoyed pool the most when I was playing on the leagues as a social shooter. Professional pool has its political wards and problems, but I think Matchroom may effect a change for the better. Posting on forums and social media should be a fun experience, just like pool should be.

Last edited: