Moori Tips, whats happened?

contrakid

Registered
Moori Tips

Why have moori tips changed so much. The new moori tips seem like they have an almost resin like surface as opposed to a leather like surface. I have an old moori medium on my second shaft from about 18 months ago and it plays lovely but the new moori medium i really dont like. It does not seem to have the grip of the old moori medium tip and feel more like i'm going to miscue when playing with side. I have tried Kamui Brown and they are the same, not much of a leather feel more like a soft resin feel.

I have also tried Kamui Black and to start with they were great but after about 5 - 6 weeks of play it glazed over real bad and i had to use a tip pick on it before every i picked the cue up. Also i notice my hands and my table became covered with chalk while using the kamui black, it seem to hold loads of chalk maybe to much as hands and table were always covered in chalk when using this tip.

But to start with the kamui black soft was one of the best tips i have ever used but went off it after 5 or 6 weeks play.

Please bring back the Moori tips of old.

Anyone have any suggestions

Tip

Sniper tip medium, haven't changed. With new Moori's it's hit or miss. One good one, then two bad. SEE THE FOR SALE SECTION, someone there has the old Moori's listed.

Fieldhammer

Instructor/Cue Sales
Silver Member
I don't know what has happened to Moori tips. I'm just thankful that I've hoarded some very old ones and that I get better than 6 months of play out of each one.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Moori Tips

Why have moori tips changed so much. The new moori tips seem like they have an almost resin like surface as opposed to a leather like surface. I have an old moori medium on my second shaft from about 18 months ago and it plays lovely but the new moori medium i really dont like. It does not seem to have the grip of the old moori medium tip and feel more like i'm going to miscue when playing with side. I have tried Kamui Brown and they are the same, not much of a leather feel more like a soft resin feel.

I have also tried Kamui Black and to start with they were great but after about 5 - 6 weeks of play it glazed over real bad and i had to use a tip pick on it before every i picked the cue up. Also i notice my hands and my table became covered with chalk while using the kamui black, it seem to hold loads of chalk maybe to much as hands and table were always covered in chalk when using this tip.

But to start with the kamui black soft was one of the best tips i have ever used but went off it after 5 or 6 weeks play.

As far as installation go's I have seen no difference in how Moori tips machine. Moori Tips machine differently then any other tip I have ever worked with, unlike all other layered tips they are far more consistent in layer thickness and layer integrity (How the layers hold together)

I find it funny that all of the newer brands of tips compare themselves to Moori's even when they claim they are better. I also find it amusing that some of the new tips cost more than Moori tips (Kamui) and people continue to buy them when in no way shape or form are they better than Moori tips.:D

In the end the answer is always the same people will buy anything that they think will transform their game and cue tips are one of those items that very easily hyped.

Now some people are most likely thinking what does this guy play with, well I play with many different tips, Moori's, Le Pro's, Triangle, and even ElKmaster. I really have no preference because in my opinion a tip is only part of the overall tool, and my stroke and follow through are the most important factor not the piece of leather glued to the end of my shaft>

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moori Tips

i've noticed the same thing. the moori company just got too big. i'm guessing they had to compromise on the leather they used because of the quantity they had to make.

don't you be talking bad about the holy grail of tips! the kamui black tips will make you a ball better. 20 for the tip 10 for instillation 34 for the special tip tool and a bucket of prayers to not miscue and you'll be ready to play!

i've had 5-6 people tell me the same thing about the black tips glazing over. to be honest that's why i got rid of mine. for what they charge for the tip we shouldn't have to buy a special tip tool to use them. i've had the kamui black glaze over and cost me a set and 1st place in a small bar tournament. basically i'm out like 80ish bones because of them glazing over

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as installation go's I have seen no difference in how Moori tips machine. Moori Tips machine differently then any other tip I have ever worked with, unlike all other layered tips they are far more consistent in layer thickness and layer integrity (How the layers hold together)

I find it funny that all of the newer brands of tips compare themselves to Moori's even when they claim they are better. I also find it amusing that some of the new tips cost more than Moori tips (Kamui) and people continue to buy them when in no way shape or form are they better than Moori tips.:D

In the end the answer is always the same people will buy anything that they think will transform their game and cue tips are one of those items that very easily hyped.

Now some people are most likely thinking what does this guy play with, well I play with many different tips, Moori's, Le Pro's, Triangle, and even ElKmaster. I really have no preference because in my opinion a tip is only part of the overall tool, and my stroke and follow through are the most important factor not the piece of leather glued to the end of my shaft>

those cuetec tips you sold me were the closest to old school moori quality that i've found since the old school moori's. please let me know if you ever get anymore

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moori Tips

talisman tips. if they don't delaminate within the first week they're real good tips!

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Moori Tips

I've used Moori tips for years until I ran into just what you've described and I switched to Sniper tips. I've tried a lot of different tips and to me Sniper tips play very close to the old Moori Slow tips that I liked so much. Maybe you should try a Sniper and I think you'll like it.......

James

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
The original Moori tips were made in a smaller shop in Japan. They were more consistent and had much higher quality control. Today, Moori is simply a well recognized name for a quality tip that is currently mass produced. This happens with cues, musical instruments and just about everything else. The excellence is due to the hands-on craftsmanship of a small shop or individual and once a brand name is established and recognized with quality, they sell out and go mass production on that name.

Back in the day, a Moori was hard to find and went for $25 if you found a real good deal to a typical price of $35. That was a lot of money for a tip back then (still is today). We've had a lot of price inflation since. If scarcity was the same, with the same crazy must have demand for the Moori that once existed, they would probably be $70 tips today. That would be the equivalent is my guess. Someone is selling them for $50 a piece in the for sale section. Considering they're not made anymore and they used to be $35/ea that's not really bad IF you absolutely must have that tip.

Personally, I think that's outrageous amount for no real practical performance gain. With so many other tips out there, the demand for any specific one is down and so are prices.

Best yet, dodge all the BS and hype, get a Triangle and don't look back.

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone tried the new Tiger ONYX tip yet ?? How are they ??
The ONYX came on a cue I just bought from Cory Harper that has a Tiger x pro shaft. I like it a lot. Tiger says it has a medium hardness, but it hits a little firmer than medium, IMO... but not much more. It's well worth trying.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive been playing with moori for long time, but I stopped playing for a couple of years, then I came back and noticed that moori isn't the same moori I used to play with, so right now I switched back to Lepro and its playing great, I love my shaft that has lepro on it, other option for me would be onyx, i've tried Onyx and its great too.

so for me its either lepro or onyx, also I can play with triangle, But thoose are the tips i'm comfortable with right now.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
talisman tips. if they don't delaminate within the first week they're real good tips!

What, I've never had one delaminate. Neither has anyone that I installed one for.

Anyone else have this problem?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original Moori tips were made in a smaller shop in Japan. They were more consistent and had much higher quality control. Today, Moori is simply a well recognized name for a quality tip that is currently mass produced. This happens with cues, musical instruments and just about everything else. The excellence is due to the hands-on craftsmanship of a small shop or individual and once a brand name is established and recognized with quality, they sell out and go mass production on that name.

Back in the day, a Moori was hard to find and went for $25 if you found a real good deal to a typical price of $35. That was a lot of money for a tip back then (still is today). We've had a lot of price inflation since. If scarcity was the same, with the same crazy must have demand for the Moori that once existed, they would probably be $70 tips today. That would be the equivalent is my guess. Someone is selling them for $50 a piece in the for sale section. Considering they're not made anymore and they used to be $35/ea that's not really bad IF you absolutely must have that tip.

Personally, I think that's outrageous amount for no real practical performance gain. With so many other tips out there, the demand for any specific one is down and so are prices.

Best yet, dodge all the BS and hype, get a Triangle and don't look back.
the new triangles suck too. had a box and all of them were too tried out to use!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What, I've never had one delaminate. Neither has anyone that I installed one for.

Anyone else have this problem?

i've heard of a couple people having this happen to them. when it happens to me i blame it on myself though. i just use new sharp razors and do them by hand. i'm too cheap to buy a lathe

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a moori about 3 years ago. I found that I got too much english and missed shots because I got spin that I didn't want. Then i talked to some cue guys and they said you had to get it down to the last few layers. I gave up.

Started using a triangle. But just recently I used an old shaft that had a LaPro on it and found that I could get better soft spin for the delicate safes. Plus I could spin force the ball in the hole much better.

They say the new La Pros are different than the old and they are. This old one I have is one of the new ones.

I just play with what works the best. My game took a little step up with the La pro. But the tip has to be put on correctly so you don't tear the structure of the leather so it doesn't break down and sqwash out too quick.

After about 3 weeks you should put on another one. Just like all the other tips, even layered tips they get compacted and lose alot of their bounce.

I'm back to a La Pro. If you put them on right they all play good.

foxcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always used the moori med hards.I have tried the new moori`s and can definetly tell the difference.I have been using the tiger emeralds and to me they play very close to the old moori med/med hards.

contrakid

Registered
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Think i will leave the old moori on my other shaft so i have always got something to compare new tips to and keep searching.

I have never tried a Le pro so may give them a go.

Tiger Sniper i found a bit soft for me and not enough feel.

Kamui Soft Black was lovely when new and cut down to half thickness but really went off it when it started to glaze over.

Some of the guys in the uk are using crushed Elk Master tips

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree . . .

Some pool players are a lot like average golfers . . . this new techno-marvel driver will let me hit the ball 325 friggin' yards - gotta have it! Your better off spending that money on lessons stupid! Its the Indian - not the arrow.

I like the new layered tips, but the best I've found is the Tiger Sniper . . . it seems to have more feel, will put insane spin on the cue ball if you want it to, holds up well, and is fairly reasonable in price. Hey . . . this guy likes 'em!

Attachments

• efren_judd_2.jpg
    efren_judd_2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 764