Mosconi Cup 2021 Day 1 Updates

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Who is our other captain? Last year it was Joey gray.
Thank goodness it isn't Joey Gray again or the USA would be guaranteed not to be able to get past 4. Jeremy showed exceptionally poor judgement when he chose that clown. He was probably just trying to hook his buddy up with the free paycheck but it was to the serious detriment of the team. SVB is the playing co-captain this year which was mostly done to appease Shane and give him some "voting power" so he wouldn't quit the team. The unintended benefit is I think it may cause Shane to play a bit better but it won't be of any real benefit to the rest of the team but at least it won't be of too much detriment either.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a Day 1 it was at the Cup! I watched the first three matches live but had to leave before the fourth match. A tie score at 2-2 is great at this juncture. Everybody was putting down Team USA, but by golly, they performed just fine. In fact, I see Shane getting better and better as he settles in. The match between him and Filler, I don't think anybody could have beaten Joshua the way he was playing.

Add to that, the stupid crowd noises. I know Shane could not hear them, hopefully, but they were really getting on my nerves. Each and every time a player called an extension, the crowd started cawing like crows. I've never heard that before, and if a player pushed out after the break, the crowd would yell "Boring." There were many, many instances when the crowd was loud while the player was down on a shot, both USA and European players. The snooker referee did his best to stop it, but the American referee just stood there like he was waiting for a bus and did little to stop the noise. It's okay to sing, scream, stomp your feet, and cackle like a hyena when the player is not shooting, but when they're down on a shot, I think this definitely affects the player's shooting capability.

Eklent Kaci was not himself yesterday. He looked uncomfortable the entire day. I don't know if was ill, had a disagreement with somebody, but he was definitely not the Kaci we all know and love on the gray baize. "Gray baize." "Shark gray baize." Hahahahaha!

And isn't Kelly Fisher stunning? Wowsa!

Kelly.png

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else besides me think that the pockets are very forgiving for being 4 inch pockets?
It seems balls are hitting the rail a couple of inches up on the cushion are still dropping.
I understand that english can keep the object ball on course but not that far up on the cushion.
My home table has 4 1/4 inch pockets and if I hit them like that they will most certainly rattle.

Aside from initial problems with DAZN today, the quality of the stream is really great.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else besides me think that the pockets are very forgiving for being 4 inch pockets?
It seems balls are hitting the rail a couple of inches up on the cushion are still dropping.
I understand that english can keep the object ball on course but not that far up on the cushion.
My home table has 4 1/4 inch pockets and if I hit them like that they will most certainly rattle.

Aside from initial problems with DAZN today, the quality of the stream is really great.
it seems to me the players are stroking a lot of balls slower to compensate for the tighter pockets. i noticed it at the masters too. there's always tricks up a these players sleeves.. fortunately the tight pockets are showing up on the break.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

The pockets are absolutely more accepting than my 4.5" pockets as well. Hopefully the balls will quit sliding in sooner than later. They shouldn't get rewarded for inaccurate shots.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like it, which begs the question of how he could've been allowed on the team in the first place without proof of vaccination, since the rules were known well in advance. Not much forward thinking on the part of either JJ or Earl.
Isn't it a requirement to be vaccinated before you can get on an airplane? And did Earl actually make it to England? Or maybe he wasn't allowed on the airplane?

The CDC has already said a vaccination will not keep you from getting it, and certainly will not keep you from spreading it if you have been exposed to it. That is why they still want vaccinated people to wear a mask.... Even though it isn't required yet.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just as I said in a post one as soon as we heard they were 4 inch pockets and an overhead photo of the pockets was shown, that is due to 2 reasons.

First, the cloth on the match table was freshly installed likely within the last 24 to 48 hours, which always makes pockets play more forgiving regardless of the size.

Secondly, the pocket facing angles inside the pockets appear to be very forgiving and very close to parallel, which allows the pockets to accept balls more easily.

As is the case with newly installed cloth, the pockets will get slightly tougher each day as the competition unfolds.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said in a post one as soon as we heard they were 4 inch pockets, that is due to 2 reasons.

First, the cloth on the Match table was freshly installed likely within the last 24 to 48 hours, which always makes pockets play more forgiving regardless of the size.

Secondly, the pocket facing angles inside the pockets appear to be very forgiving and very close to parallel, which allows the pockets to accept balls more easily.

As is the case with newly installed cloth, the pockets will get slightly tougher each day as the competition unfolds.
Yes, the pocket facing angles can surely offset the 4 inch pocket size.
Funny, had Simonis installed on my table about 4 months ago and did not notice a more forgiving pocket with new cloth at all.
Live and learn.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morning-after thoughts of Day 1 at the Mosconi Cup. "Extension, please."

giphy.gif

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

New cloth. The ball slides.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DAY 2 Matches
Anyone know what is first match Fan's Choice? Must involve Filler, SVB, Shaw :LOL:

day2mc.JPG

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, it says fan's choice voting will close exactly just before match starts at 6pm UK time :p

JT4Annapolis

JT in FL now
Ok, it says fan's choice voting will close exactly just before match starts at 6pm UK time :p
thanks for the link

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl should have been vaccinated prior to agreeing to travel to the UK. Sorry rules are rules. And, if he was willing to take that chance then you have to live with the results. I believe Matchroom Sports wanted Earl to play to drum up excitement for the event. And he sure would have done that. Regarding the tables, they play the same for everyone. Get over the this's and that's about the equipment.