Mosconi Cup 2021 Day 3 Updates

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Match 15 was always showing for Friday when match 14 was under way, I posted the live score back on page 7 when they were 3 racks in.
Yeah, there would’ve been no reason to only play 4 matches the first day if you were going to then play 6 matches on day three. The plan from the outset was to have the final 7 matches (if necessary) on the final day, to almost guarantee the competition making it to the final day - 4-5-5-7.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew this thread would be soaking in hate for the ref/rules and a healthy helping of teflon for JJ when I came back to it. I haven't used the :ROFLMAO: icon so much in my life while reading the posts over the last few pages.

JJ played fantasic imo. Really should have been blown out of the water. Nothing more than a mental error trying to calm his nerves I think. Shame as it will haunt him for a long while I'm sure.

I was wondering about your reaction to my post..it didn't seem that funny ^_^
but I stand by what I said, I think that a player and ref could even be in that situation is dumb-
I didn't even know that was the rule, so I thought it was even crazier than it was
I know better now, and I understand (at least in part) why the rule exists, but I still don't like it
that such a nice (deciding) pool game could end on that kind of a technicality is lame
double j/team usa will take it on the chin, life goes on...

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
The fans can also shark the European players when they play in US.

Crazy how the Mosconi Cup has been going on for as long as it has, and people are still flabbergasted by the behavior of the fans.
While I agree with this, the referee wasn't stopping the clock to admonish the fans like previous Cups, especially as he let them hoot and holler when the U.S. players were down on the shot. That's been going on the whole time. Quiet as a church when the Euro players are down on the shot, total circus the whole time the U.S. side is shooting. And the German referee lets it happen.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Seemed to me that JJ was using a lot of one pocket knowledge to drag some of these racks out until he got an advantage...he's played one pocket about as long as most of the Euro players have been alive...very crafty! ;)

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
While I agree with this, the referee wasn't stopping the clock to admonish the fans like previous Cups, especially as he let them hoot and holler when the U.S. players were down on the shot. That's been going on the whole time. Quiet as a church when the Euro players are down on the shot, total circus the whole time the U.S. side is shooting. And the German referee lets it happen.

das kraut schvinhount ist einess euro, reicht?

pm for translation, introductory price is $7

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're all bummed out and have mixed feelings about the ref's call, but one thing I did notice that was noteworthy was when the match between David Alcaide and Jeremy Jones concluded, David subdued his celebration for winning, and the entire Team Europe and Captain Alex Lely and Vice Captain Karl Boyes came over to Jeremy's corner and gave him hugs and a pat on the back, empathizing with what happened and how it happened. That's class right there!

Niels Feijen said it was the best match he's ever seen at the Mosconi Cup due to the tactical playing, especially the last frame.

I am proud of Team USA and especially Jeremy Jones, how he stepped up and gave it his all, pinch shooting at the last minute due to Earl's removal. That's also class right there!

As is everything with pool, there is going to always be controversy about the rules, how it's run, the equipment, the commentators, and I guess the Mosconi Cup is no different. 🙃

FB Banner.png

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fans can also shark the European players when they play in US.

Crazy how the Mosconi Cup has been going on for as long as it has, and people are still flabbergasted by the behavior of the fans.
One of the best and most exciting things about the Mosconi cup is the disgusting fans 🤷🏾‍♀️

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
What a lost opportunity... Recognizing what was going on, all Team Europe had to do was to walk over to JJ and hand him the cue ball. It would have gone down as an epic act of true sportsmanship.

What is wrong with taking responsibility for your own mistakes?

I have no idea why it would be an epic act of true sportsmanship.

Maybe you could explain why you think that.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
We're all bummed out and have mixed feelings about the ref's call, but one thing I did notice that was noteworthy was when the match between David Alcaide and Jeremy Jones concluded, David subdued his celebration for winning, and the entire Team Europe and Captain Alex Lely and Vice Captain Karl Boyes came over to Jeremy's corner and gave him hugs and a pat on the back, empathizing with what happened and how it happened. That's class right there!

Niels Feijen said it was the best match he's ever seen at the Mosconi Cup due to the tactical playing, especially the last frame.

I am proud of Team USA and especially Jeremy Jones, how he stepped up and gave it his all, pinch shooting at the last minute due to Earl's removal. That's also class right there!

As is everything with pool, there is going to always be controversy about the rules, how it's run, the equipment, the commentators, and I guess the Mosconi Cup is no different. 🙃

View attachment 619273
Agree 100%

I enjoyed especially that match between David and Jeremy extremley. Every who s a bit knowledged knows anyway how much knowledge Jeremy Jones has- and what hell of a player he was/is. This set was worth every second. Even if on the first two days a few *funny misses" appeared- and day 2 was not that positive for europe i enjoyed it a lot. USA has shown heart-
Have heard several buddies, who also were much more "pro USA"- and now after day 3 my respect ( which was anyway super high before) for Jeremy Jones raised to another bar.

Hats off "Captain" Jones- showed up and delievered!

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Anyone know the rule that specifies the difference between JJ's situation (no clock stoppage) and Shaw's situation yesterday (clock stopped). The only difference appears to be that Shaw complained about a bug on the 9ball, not on the cue ball. And that Shaw had a lot of time left (25 seconds) when he called for the cleaning.

The difference being that bugs are not supposed to be on pool balls, whereas chalk clinging to the cue ball is a part of playing pool, unless you’re sensible and use Taom (other brands available (not sure what they are)).

Another difference being that the ref was already moving to get the bug and stop the clock when Shaw raised his arm to point at the bug.

Jeremy asked for the cueball to be cleaned because he was about to play a delicate shot (and more likely because he was under it), which is his personal preference, as opposed to a big ass bug flying around the table.

I don’t understand how everyone keeps saying these two situations are the same 🤷‍♀️.

JJ asked for the CB to be cleaned with about 14 seconds left on the clock. Even if the ref explained to him that he can’t stop the clock, which he is under no obligation to do, and from what Marcel said after the foul, they got told repeatedly that the clock won’t stop for CB cleaning, he still would have only had several seconds left to play the shot. And Marcel absolutely motored, marking the cueball, cleaning it, replacing it, and removing the marker in about 5 seconds, as soon as JJ asked for the CB to be cleaned. Imagine if The US ref had been on the job. Sorry, I can’t remember his name, dude with the mini mullet. Absolutely awesome guy, seems really nice and obviously dedicated to the sport (and I’m really pleased MR has acknowledged his dedication by brining him in on these events), but he turns every sentence and action into a broadway show. Then it really would have been a mess.

Marcel is also one of the most experienced cuesports refs in the world, and an absolute pro. He even has a world snooker final under his belt. Questioning his motivations in doing anything other than what he’s been directed to do is pointless (if he didn’t go further in his interactions with the crowd, it’s because he’s been told not to, if it were snooker, he would have had people removed for a fraction of what happens at the MC).

dendweller

When he asked for the cleaning I was surprised it was allowed given the shot clock warning happening at the end of most shots of both players. If it was allowed, it would have been a much longer match.
I was definitely pulling for him, it was setting up to be a great story.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every year I read that the MC is a joke and this year is the first time I tend to agree.
Not because of yesterday's time foul, or the short races or the skill difference of the two teams...

In fact this year's cup has some exciting games. Good shots, good safes, dramatic misses and overall some very good sport...but...maybe it is just me, but the whole MC this year just comes across as a big party and not as a serious sports event.
Yes, getting the crowd involved is ok and I get it, that this event is noisy. But if you look at the first row of spectators you see more beer pitchers than people.
And I'm starting to believe, that many spectators are more interested in the drinking games than what is happening on the table.
We talk a lot about how the public sees pool and how everything should be more professional and how we can improve as a sport.
This year's MC is a step in the wrong direction.