Mosconi Cup 2021 Day 3 Updates

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I agree. The one-sided commentary is nauseating. I thought commentators were supposed to be unbiased.

I can't even enjoy the matches anymore. The commentators are excellent, but it would be nice to have an American in the booth. It's a wee bit Europe-centric in the commentary. Everything is Europe this, Europe that, Europe and its dominance. They keep talking about European players and nobody says jack-shit about American players.

The laughing hyenas in the audience also are ruining my viewer experience. It's as if they're on a Roman coliseum watching European gladiators kill the American and enjoying the bloodshed.

I'm proud of Team USA trying to give it their all. It doesn't bother me to lose any match because I know they are trying, but the entire environment there is awful.

Not sure I'm looking forward to Mosconi Cup 2022.

View attachment 619217
Unfortunately, even in the past, it seemed that the American commentators must have felt some type of obligation to Matchroom Sports. They always seem to be patting the European players on the back and minimizing the good things that the American players were doing. It's almost as if they were trying to get called back for another payday. At least that's the way it sounded to me in the past. I'm not saying that American commentators should be complimenting every shot an America player performs, but be just as colorful in your praise of both parties and just as honest about their failures on both sides. I truly wonder if the European audience would prefer a little fairer commentary? I remember one Mosconi Cup in recent years and every time a European player would play shape and have the cue ball come within 3 inches of the side pocket, the commentators would praise how well the player had gotten the shape on the next shot. Same type of shot, same distance from the side pocket, with an American at the table and the commentators are like, "WHOA, HE ALMOST SCRATCHED IN THE SIDE POCKET! He was fortunate on that one" or similar language to that. Perhaps, some criticism of poor play as well as "attaboy" type language for good play, but it should be the same for both parties, imo.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time foul.png

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So no warning beeper??
The crowd was yelling so loud, I doubt JJ heard the beeper. I guess the lesson is: don't let old, senile guys play on the Mosconi Cup. I mean did JJ really think, "Ah, I've been saving this move for just the right situation: Ref, clean the ball! Now, I get a free extension! Tee, hee."

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the crowd
I'm so sick and tired about hearing about each European player's history, life story, where they grew up, and no mention of our American players.

Thank goodness we have some Americans in the audience.

View attachment 619227View attachment 619228

If the guy in the top picture (middle left with thumb up) is who I think it is, I played him in a tournament in WY ;) LOL, it's a small world.

• Love
Reactions: JAM

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The camera work at Matchroom events IMO is really subpar. For example, JJ just made a 1-9 combination with the cueball tracking right to the corner pocket after contact. Instead of showing the whole table to see if he scratched, the camera pans to the crowd. This seems to happen all the time where the camera doesn't show the right view.

I noticed the tables have quite a bit of roll and every time it happens they switch to an overhead view or a different angle. Was wondering if they were instructed to do that?

Chicken Feather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The crowd was yelling so loud, I doubt JJ heard the beeper. I guess the lesson is: don't let old, senile guys play on the Mosconi Cup. I mean did JJ really think, "Ah, I've been saving this move for just the right situation: Ref, clean the ball! Now, I get a free extension! Tee, hee."
Yeah.. I went back and listened to it twice more and barely heard the beeping.

Are you implying that JJ was trying to cheat? I think JJ's history will show that would not have been the case.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I think theres far too much investment by matchroom to risk involvement in such silliness.
I agree. Matchroom is looking at a much bigger picture. The idea that Matchroom would attempt to fix the outcome to Europe's advantage is ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS. (I guess that why they loaned Johan Ruysink to us...........)

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Three points here.
One, JJ didn't get screwed if they had in fact gone over the rules regarding the cleaning of the CB at the start.
The captain of all people should know the rules.
Two, players abuse the stop-the-clock rule some tourneys have and use it to compose themselves without losing time. (Chang is a big one)
Three, the refs always announce to the players when a ball is frozen. They don't look at it and keep it a secret until after a potential foul has been committed and then award BIH to the opponent. Therefore, it is my opinion the ref should have been obligated to inform JJ that the clock will not stop while he cleans the CB.
Four, the ref just might have been happy to call the foul on USA in the end.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hill hill and Jeremy has a chance to win it all. I absolutely agree with no stoppage of the clock to clean cueball. It gives Jeremy some time to cool his nerves. Considering the situation and 30seconds on the clock with 1000+ watching. He was definitely trying to take a minute to compose himself. He obviously didn’t know the rule but that has been the rule for awhile in all Mosconi’s. He is the Captain after all, should know the rule lmao
So what if the ref takes 2 minutes to clean the ball?

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you implying that JJ was trying to cheat? I think JJ's history will show that would not have been the case.
What I'm implying is: JJ appears to be a complete dummy. If the rule were that the clock stopped for CB cleaning, don't ya think that JJ would have witnessed his own teammates, or their opponents, asking for the CB to be cleaned every 2-3 shots? Let's be charitable and chalk it up to JJ having a Senior moment.

Last edited:

Chicken Feather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I'm implying is: JJ appears to be a complete dummy. If the rule were that the clock stopped for CB cleaning, don't ya think every 2-3 shots that the players on his own team, as well as their opponents, would be asking for a CB cleaning?
Okay.... I'm glad you've got it all figured out. It's easy to criticize, not so easy to actually perform in a pressure situation.

Interesting that you think he's senile. 🤯