Mosconi Cup USA Selection changed.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the only thing that really makes sense. If players need to be eliminated from contention based on their behavior or character then Matchroom should just come out and say so as should the Captain/Coach.

Does this mean that Mark Wilson is out as Captain?

I wouldn't think this means he's out, but it is interesting that he's not even mentioned. If he'll be choosing the wild cards, they're not saying it now.

And it certainly does mean that they're not using his system of picking a group of qualifiers, traveling and playing together throughout the year, and then narrowing that down.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
In don't know how you can really use the DCC as a qualifying Mosconi Cup event. It is an open event, designed to encourage amateur participation. How can an amateur event be used to determine pro outcomes?

What happens if I enter the DCC next year and snap it off? Am I on the team? God help us if that's the case.

Don't agree. By this line of reasoning the US Open shouldn't be a WPA points event either.

----

I do wonder if MW will still be captain. I'd be interested to hear his take on this. IIRC he stated at the outset last year it would be about building for the future, giving some of the younger guys a chance to experience the pressure etc. and now it appears Matchroom has folded tent on the concept after a single MC. I suppose now we will never know about the merits of Mark's vision. I for one give him credit for at least shaking things up and trying something new.

Last edited:

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see the problem. If you're an amateur and you can place highly in enough events throughout the year against the best players in the US, then yes you should be on the Mosconi team.

It is the same for Team Europe. As an amatuer if you think you've got what it takes, then step up and play the Euro Tour or World Series...
I prefer it this way as it is not elitist
:thumbup:

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
My opinions are that Mark Wilson will remain as Captain. He may not be please that his selection process was changed although after all the talk and the result after last year he may have even suggested it go back to rankings.
It seems the WPA and BCA are not a factor. From the press release it appears that Matchroom are going to decide on a number of events that will play a part in THEIR rankings that are to be announced.
What events are they going to pick though?

Turning Stone
DCC 9-Ball
US Open 9-ball
China Open?

I'm Struggling to add realistic major events/Tourneys unless CSI decide to take their invitationals and make them Opens again.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinions are that Mark Wilson will remain as Captain. He may not be please that his selection process was changed although after all the talk and the result after last year he may have even suggested it go back to rankings.
It seems the WPA and BCA are not a factor. From the press release it appears that Matchroom are going to decide on a number of events that will play a part in THEIR rankings that are to be announced.

Turning Stone
DCC 9-Ball
US Open 9-ball
China Open?

I'm Struggling to add realistic major events/Tourneys unless CSI decide to take their invitationals and make them Opens again.

There are two turning stone classics per year. so that would that be the fourth?
Also, if this rule were in place last year, who would've been the three?
Shane, dechaine? Morris? (Just curious)

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
There are two turning stone classics per year. so that would that be the fourth?
Also, if this rule were in place last year, who would've been the three?
Shane, dechaine? Morris? (Just curious)

Well, You may be correct on the 4th BUT when is that 4th one played? (The 2nd Turning Stone}
Also, there has to be some events that are being played over seas. Not sure how many but it seems the Euros are hoping all over the world to their events. We know the USA players are few and far between who go overseas these days. I know some do but not many and they will probably hold the most points. I said China Open as I think more US Players attend that.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few European players have lived in the States for quite a while now........Mika, Hohmann, couple others (including Corr and Fisher). Are they US citizens??? If so, shouldn't they be allowed to play on the U.S. team?

Tony Crosby, Richard Broumpton, Karen and i think Irish Julie Kelly are the only ones from the other side who now have US Citizenship that I'm aware of.

Banikane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love it, I wish 5/5 or 4/5 had to earn a spot to compete. But this is a great start. You have to compete to compete; can't get much simpler than that!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Turning Stone
DCC 9-Ball
US Open 9-ball
China Open?

They ought to have something from the West. How strong is the Swannee field? If it gets the designation, it will only get stronger.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I took that to mean players that are US citizens.....I suppose you can interpret that to mean players that are 'banned' or whatever the term would be but that would really throw some negativity into the process if the public found out a player was blacklisted.

Not saying you are wrong, just didn't read it that way.

All I know is that the last time they had rankings determine the outcome, there was some funny stuff going on in who beat who at the end of tournaments.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
They ought to have something from the West. How strong is the Swannee field? If it gets the designation, it will only get stronger.

I think the Swannee field is a strong field BUT other than a handful of strong players most are not going to be traveling all over to keep their chances alive to play Mosconi Cup. I believe that the Swannee fills up every year too and a lot of local "Strong" Players have been supporting the event for a long time. I would hate to see the people who have been supporting the tourney all these years get booted because the pros are coming from all over to take their place. This is probably a non issue as the prize $$ for the Swannee I don't think is enough for a lot of people to make the trip and be able to break even. Obviously JMO

I thought maybe the Reno Bar Table but it's bar table and should that qualify you for a 9ft tourney? I am playing devil's advocate in some of these statements too.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I took that to mean players that are US citizens.....I suppose you can interpret that to mean players that are 'banned' or whatever the term would be but that would really throw some negativity into the process if the public found out a player was blacklisted.

Not saying you are wrong, just didn't read it that way.

All I know is that the last time they had rankings determine the outcome, there was some funny stuff going on in who beat who at the end of tournaments.

I read the press release the same way as you did and agree I could also be wrong. I have my opinions on the "Black list"

I think that something happened and Matchroom didn't like it and could not really prove anything so they wanted to send a message and did. That's the conspiracy theory. OR they wanted to try something new and did. It didn't work out for whatever reason in their eyes and changed direction.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
that's not the important part...

I read the press release the same way as you did and agree I could also be wrong. I have my opinions on the "Black list"

I think that something happened and Matchroom didn't like it and could not really prove anything so they wanted to send a message and did. That's the conspiracy theory. OR they wanted to try something new and did. It didn't work out for whatever reason in their eyes and changed direction.

The important part is that it says 3 players will be SELECTED from the 32. It does NOT say that the 3 top finishers will be selected.

Jaden