My fargo rate is not accurate

kagewest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 3 names you mentioned could give 2 shits about their Fargo rating . Everyone knows its a junk system but it is what we have. You don't have to impress peope with a high fago score. Anyone that's a credible pool player knows you play top speed and can beat anyone on a given day. Win tournaments, mosconi qualify, play streamed money matches. Thats far more gloryess that being good on paper.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seeing that sometimes the match results took almost 2 days to update on the DCC website, good luck retrieving scores from all the matches.

The DCC website did not show match scores, just who won.

[mikepage -- see post #21 above.]

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 3 names you mentioned could give 2 shits about their Fargo rating . Everyone knows its a junk system but it is what we have. You don't have to impress peope with a high fago score. Anyone that's a credible pool player knows you play top speed and can beat anyone on a given day. Win tournaments, mosconi qualify, play streamed money matches. Thats far more gloryess that being good on paper.

It may not be perfect, but “junk system” seems harsh. Can you think of a more “gloryess” one?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Everyone knows its a junk system but it is what we have...."

The only people that actually think this are those that have no idea how it works even AFTER it's been explained to them over and over again.

It's an awesome system! It's sad that it still needs to be defended.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The only people that actually think this are those that have no idea how it works even AFTER it's been explained to them over and over again.

Agreed. It will get better when all venues turn in their scores.

Could be that a lot of players don't like it because they think they play better than they actually do. You never heard of a player that thought they play better than they do right?

Hey my Fargorate is too high said no player ever.

I've said this in threads like this before. When I look at my Fargorate "favorites list" it looks right on to me but then again my homeroom owner sends every result, from league play to tournaments, to Fargorate.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top players who match up do so based on what they know of their peer's skill not some stupid rating system that will never be 100% accurate. It is just another gimmick but people in the pool industry seem to love that, they are the same wasting money on a carbon fiber shaft thinking it will improve their weak ass game.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Some people just won't take yes for an answer.

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I don't think Jay is suggesting ignoring the scores. I think he is just suggesting NOT ignoring the match winner.

So, for instance, suppose we play 3 sets with scores

11 - 7
5 - 11
11 - 9

To FargoRate the score is 27 - 27 and these performances are a wash. But I'm going home with some of your $$. One way--just as an example-- to account for the win-when-it-matters idea is to award an extra "game" for the match win itself. Then the "scores" would be

12 - 7
5 - 12
12 - 9

28 - 27 total

This is the kind of thing we can try with a big amount of data for a training set and then see whether the resulting modified Fargo Ratings do a better job predicting match wins in other data than do the virgin Fargo Ratings.

Looks to me that there is an error in the addition 29 -- 28?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. It will get better when all venues turn in their scores.

Could be that a lot of players don't like it because they think they play better than they actually do. You never heard of a player that thought they play better than they do right?

Hey my Fargorate is too high said no player ever.

I think you’re exactly right. Now we have the opportunity to look up anyone’s rating just by their name. We can also see their robustness! People always tend to think they’re better than their ratings, and some egos may be bruised.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top players who match up do so based on what they know of their peer's skill not some stupid rating system that will never be 100% accurate. It is just another gimmick but people in the pool industry seem to love that, they are the same wasting money on a carbon fiber shaft thinking it will improve their weak ass game.

So, you believe less information is better than more information, eh?

Interesting position...

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I don't need some bogus rating system to tell me who is allegedly the better player. I take no one serious who swears by this garbage.

You guys that blame Fargo rate for this simply do not understand it. The more you complain about even further cements my claim. How on God's green earth is Fargo flawed if a tournament director does not report??? I will retract my comment if any of you Fargo complainers have a logical answer for this question. Fargo wants and would be much more accurate if every competed game were reported. Unfortunately I doubt Mike Page has the authority to start arresting TD's who do not report scores. Maybe the onus of reporting should fall on the played, ie: make sure that the TD of the tournaments you shoot will report to Fargorate. Until every game in competition is reported to Fargorate it will not be as accurate as it can be but I have found it to be very, very predictable when robustness is high, I dont think many of you Fargohaters can claim otherwise. I would ask for someone to pass the whine but there seems to be plenty here, maybe I should ask for the cheese.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys that blame Fargo rate for this simply do not understand it. The more you complain about even further cements my claim. How on God's green earth is Fargo flawed if a tournament director does not report??? I will retract my comment if any of you Fargo complainers have a logical answer for this question. Fargo wants and would be much more accurate if every competed game were reported. Unfortunately I doubt Mike Page has the authority to start arresting TD's who do not report scores. Maybe the onus of reporting should fall on the played, ie: make sure that the TD of the tournaments you shoot will report to Fargorate. Until every game in competition is reported to Fargorate it will not be as accurate as it can be but I have found it to be very, very predictable when robustness is high, I dont think many of you Fargohaters can claim otherwise. I would ask for someone to pass the whine but there seems to be plenty here, maybe I should ask for the cheese.

Correct. It's pretty accurate as far as I am concerned. I truly think that the players that complain believe their Fargorates are lower than they think they should be, especially if they have played enough racks to be established.

I have been using it to set goals. I am at a particular Fargorate and I have set a goal 50 points higher. I have over 900 racks in the system so I will have to beat some pretty high Fargorates to move 50 points upward. I think it's a worthwhile goal and it gives me a little incentive.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I think fargo rate is great...

I think Fargo rate is great. I'm sure it is accurate, but we need ways of ensuring things are added. We need everyone to implement it.

Jaden

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Self reported scores can not be used due to bias. There's two examples right in this thread. How often do you think someone would self report matches were they felt they just played okay? Like the matches where they actually played their speed. Pretty much never.

I can only envision players self reporting their good or their bad matches -- for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Fargo rate is great. I'm sure it is accurate, but we need ways of ensuring things are added. We need everyone to implement it.

Jaden

Yup. You said it. I'm a believer. Now all we have to do is get all the room owners and TO's on the same page. Right, it's pool, good luck, but it would be a great system and we need one.

Thank you Dr. Dave. Read the comparisons and tell me they don't ring true when compared to Fargorate.

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/ratings.html

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If tennis didn't use grand slam or master level event results to determine world rankings Roger Federer wouldn't likely be in the top 50 because that's all he typically plays. The more important the tournament the more it should reflect in whatever rating system is used. It's one thing to beat Orcollu in a weekly or monthly tourney but completely different at the DCC or US Open or WPC.