My fargo rate is not accurate

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think that you would want to continue to add data to all players that played in any

tournament. I agree that the losing player wouldn't want to necessarily have it recorded, but

the fact is, the information is there, whether or not Donnie called you before or after does

not affect the outcome, and I am sure that all information from the Derby is present? At least

the final score of each match. If you do not include all matches, but just the final 16, how do you

think that does not have any effect on lower level players? The ones who really rely on fargorate

to match up now a days.?.?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
At derby city 9ball I beat orcollo 9-6, melling 9-8 and Bergman 9-8. These matches were on video. But because the tournament director didn’t take match scores the scores will not be used towards Fargo Ratings. But meanwhile a shit tournament in my hometown played on gaffed up buckets (one match on a Robertson and the next match on a gold crown) will be used towards Fargo. This is a joke.

Well, if you are not "established" the rating won't be accurate, obviously. What should I say, living in Europe I don't even have a Fargo rating, even our national championships don't get registred. I have to play Eurotour to get one. I've tried looking up some of my countrymen, and most have at best a starter rating for playing a couple of Eurotour stops. It's not even close to being a valid global system, though if you have played tons on the Eurotur, it's probably accurate for you. But what if you beat some guys brains in all year after year in other tournaments and mess up on the ones that "count" the Eurotour ones? Your rating will suck. When all Serious regional tours get registred, the real power of the system will unfold. Until then, it will have the problems you outline. I have some other issues with this system as well, as I don't think the men/women ratings are right, based on my experience.

What I don't understand is why you care? Is there some sort of sponsorship deal that hinges on your rating? Obviously you are a pro level player, so what would a few more points on your rating give you? I think people are putting WAY too much emphasis on this rating nonsense.

Last edited:

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t care what your rating is. I watched you play at the derby. I have a whole new respect for your game! Watching your cuball was inspiring. Lol

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing that sometimes the match results took almost 2 days to update on the DCC website, good luck retrieving scores from all the matches.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
So the TD has the option to report results? Mike have you thought of sending someone (on staff or contracted) to a large tourney like the DCC to compile the information you need from the matches to enter in the system?

This is what I wrote on facebook concerning the issue

What is the deal when we know some but not all match scores? This is subtle, but I think people who work with statistics will understand the problem. Suppose a tournament doesn't record match scores for the first half of a tournament and then starts recording them. Is it OK for us to enter half a tournament? Yes, it is OK in this situation because there is no sampling bias. The process for us getting data has nothing to do with the content of the data.

Here is another situation. Match scores are not generally recorded or we don't get them. But a player brings us his match scores after the fact. To make it simple, let's suppose those match scores are verified by video and there is no question about their accuracy. Is this OK to enter? No it is not. Such data comes tainted with a point of view. There is a bias filter even if the person reporting is on the up and up and has the best of intentions. In this particular case, with Donny beating Orcullo 9 - 6, Donny is more likely to have contacted us after the event with that result than if Donny had lost 6 - 9. This is no criticism. It is just that Donny is more likely to be compelled to contact us with one result than another. Had Donny contacted me at the start of his match and said, "this is on video. Can the result go in?" The answer --aside from practical concerns about our time with requests like this--is yes.

Basically we need to decide whether data does in before the results are known to the decision makers--us and those reporting the data.

Pangit

Banned
The entire Fargo rating thing is not accurate. I still don't get why some people thinks it matters in the big scheme of things. Who cares what anyone's Fargo rating is, it doesn't pay the bills. :scratchhead:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The entire Fargo rating thing is not accurate. I still don't get why some people thinks it matters in the big scheme of things. Who cares what anyone's Fargo rating is, it doesn't pay the bills. :scratchhead:

Many tournaments in my area will not let you play unless you have an established rating.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edgie Geronimo is a 763 last I checked. What are the odds of a sub 600 beating him 7 to 5?

I'm not implying anything other than that my Fargo rating as it stands is not accurate or even close to accurate. In competition I'm probably high 6s to low 7s.

Jaden

OK he's currently 98th in the world at 760

Looks like you started as a 553. After 161 games in whatever tournaments were submitted, your rating has risen to 558. I’m guessing you just didn’t do well in those tournaments?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't need some bogus rating system to tell me who is allegedly the better player. I take no one serious who swears by this garbage.

So would you have bet on Donnie against Dennis O?

I mean, if you go by Fargo Ratings, Dennis would be the better player.

If you went by your own feelings, I would imagine you also think Dennis is the better player.

Either way, Donnie won. So your own feelings are no better than Fargo Rate.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many biased TD's in your area it seems. No one here in the RP cares about it.

It’s much more accurate for their handicapped tournaments than their old subjective “I think he’s a 9” ways.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So would you have bet on Donnie against Dennis O?

I mean, if you go by Fargo Ratings, Dennis would be the better player.

If you went by your own feelings, I would imagine you also think Dennis is the better player.

Either way, Donnie won. So your own feelings are no better than Fargo Rate.

A broken clock is still right twice a day. So this match wouldn't be a good example but you could start with the top rated women vs the top rated men though.