My idea of a beautiful cue

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It won't be fancy, but it will have more than two types of woods in the forearm/collar/ringwork.

It doesn't have to have points, but if so, just natural wood or wood colors. I don't want a lot of loud colors in my cue.

This is the type of butt I find aesthetically pleasing: https://www.pooldawg.com/mcdermott-...term=4583382948366646&utm_content=Ad group #1
I'd love to own that butt, but I doubt at my age I'll ever add another cue/shaft to my collection.

What are your preferences? (pictures please)

Maniac (hopefully a thread that won't get combative)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Darn you for bringing this up! You should be ashamed of yourself Maniac. :smile:

I've always liked that style of cue, simple design showing off the wood grain but with pretty rings. Dave Barenbrugge does that so well. see Breakandrun's example he posted below:

I no longer know what I like since I've converted to carbon fiber with a custom paint job.

Attachments

• barenbrugge.jpg
    barenbrugge.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am more of a Balabushka style man , I Love sharp points and diamond 's but I also like the Hoppe version 's as well. The Hoppe versions to me are simple but take you back to that era .

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So that whole jackpot thing got me thinking about the merry widow style cue. I'm seriously pissed at China so that eliminates a bunch. There's Japan and a Mezz EC9 series, then I saw photos of the McDermott SL 4 and I like McD's too. But I have to test the swing and feel the thickness of the butt. SBE keeps being put off. I think that's my next cue. I haven't seen much on the Pro slim shaft either. I got to do a test drive. This lockdown gives you to much dream time. I want a second table too.

BTW, that's a nice looking Mickey too.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
It won't be fancy, but it will have more than two types of woods in the forearm/collar/ringwork.

It doesn't have to have points, but if so, just natural wood or wood colors. I don't want a lot of loud colors in my cue.

This is the type of butt I find aesthetically pleasing: https://www.pooldawg.com/mcdermott-...term=4583382948366646&utm_content=Ad group #1
I'd love to own that butt, but I doubt at my age I'll ever add another cue/shaft to my collection.

What are your preferences? (pictures please)

I'm glad you posted that. That's nice looking IMO. I've been trying to figure out what to buy the wife (inexperienced) that was relatively inexpensive but attractive and not blingy. This might be the one!! :thumbup2:

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a McDermott G229.
It really is a nice looking cue and I get a lot of compliments on it.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya, I'm more into the beauty of the wood than all the inlays and stuff. Some players come in with cues that look like my wife's costume jewelry.

Reactions: JC

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love beautiful woods and burls. I prefer plainer cues without tons of inlays,

I HATE ebony. For the life of me I don't understand the obsession with black things. I don't like ebony and ivory cues at all.

I die a little when I see a beautiful piece of Amboyna or Tulipwood paired with Ebony. The black does nothing to bring out the beauty of the wood.

I can handle black points but no black leather wraps, no merry widows with black. It's the dullest wood ever IMO (Yes, I know that many if not most disagree-its a complete mystery to me)

I love grain and figure and the beautiful colors of great exotic woods

I like Merry Widows with rings and wood wraps and simple traditional cues.

Some examples of cues I own/have owned and really like

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_20171214_143626.jpg
    IMG_20171214_143626.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 629
  • full2, tasc.JPG
    full2, tasc.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_20190809_110111_1.jpg
    IMG_20190809_110111_1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 626

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
picture.php

Here is a pic of my current playing cue. I also like a simple Merry Widow. I think since cues are made from wood the beauty of the wood should be on display

JC

Coos Cues
I HATE ebony. For the life of me I don't understand the obsession with black things. I don't like ebony and ivory cues at all.

I die a little when I see a beautiful piece of Amboyna or Tulipwood paired with Ebony. The black does nothing to bring out the beauty of the wood.

For the most part I agree but there is nothing that goes better with spalted tamarind than good old fashioned black ebony. Every one of this wood combo I have made has been a hit.

024%20(1).jpg

004_(2).jpg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part I agree but there is nothing that goes better with spalted tamarind than good old fashioned black ebony. Every one of this wood combo I have made has been a hit.

024%20(1).jpg

004_(2).jpg

Those are beautiful.

I told you that spalted tamarind and ebony was one of my favorite combinations.